PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Need Cool Wandering Beast

Calinero
2013-03-25, 04:14 PM
First of all, if you are in my Pathfinder campaign--Levi, Orrick, Illyen, or Lyra--then stop reading now. All right?

If you aren't...

So, a premise of my Pathfinder campaign setting is that Proteans are living in the mountains to the far north, and bringing storms of chaotic magic with them. The only thing that is keeping civilization safe is a group of creatures collectively known as Guardians, each of whom has a gem in their body that focuses their innate magic to keep the influence of the Proteans at bay. The BBEG in my setting is hunting them down and killing them or removing these gems to pave the way for a Protean invasion.

My players know none of this. However, they do know that there is a mysterious halfling group of Druids known as Keepers, and one of them is tracking something very large and dangerous. Keepers are a secret order--each is bonded to a Guardian, and this one's Guardian has had its gem stolen, or is otherwise under magic control from one of the evil guys. The party knows that they were tracking something through the forest that could move leaving almost no sign, was capable of knocking enormous trees over, digging up and murdering dozens of small animals, and leaving stretches of land inexplicably scorched.

My original plan was for this Guardian to be some sort of dragon--though it bears mentioning that Guardian is not really a species, they can each be a different type of creature. However, I am now worried that a dragon will e a bit too cliche, and would like to consider other options. My main issue is that I wanted it to be something that was thematically tied to forests, but still is capable of producing fire. It also needs to be a significant challenge to a level 8 party. Any ideas?

Keneth
2013-03-25, 04:25 PM
Well for one, there are no dragons tied to forests that breathe fire and are large enough to topple trees yet provide a manageable challenge for a level 8 party. :smallbiggrin:

Nothing comes to mind, but I'll peruse the books to see if I can find something that matches.

Yogibear41
2013-03-25, 05:03 PM
Gray Render is a CR 8 magical beast from the 3.5 monster manual that could easily topple trees, they also have a tendency to bond and protect other creatures so I could easily see them being a sort of guardian.

It does not breath fire however, but you could always find a template or something to drop on it to make it do that.

Ravenica
2013-03-25, 05:19 PM
oooh advance a Kodama! it's a kami from bestiary 3, CR 5 to start with but you could easily advance it with templates and class levels to do all that and be big enough!

offhand, giant template for a size boost to medium and some stat boosts bumps it up to cr6, then add 3 levels of druid

it can now cast produce flame and flame sphere

you could add another 3 racial hit die (this ups it to large size with the template) and apply a permanent confusion style effect to make it even more powerful but add a level of unpredictability to reduce the threat and represent the state it is in after the injury/violation of having it's gem removed.

edit:
comes stock on the chassis with at will tree stride making it difficult to track, double checked my numbers there and all should be good, it should be a good challenge without being devastating to a level 8 party

Calinero
2013-03-25, 05:26 PM
Well for one, there are no dragons tied to forests that breathe fire and are large enough to topple trees yet provide a manageable challenge for a level 8 party. :smallbiggrin:

Nothing comes to mind, but I'll peruse the books to see if I can find something that matches.

Eh, true. I mostly planned on taking a green dragon of an appropriate developmental stage, and tweaking it a bit.

In response to other posts, the Gray Render might be just about perfect. To quote its entry,

Renders are gifted with immense strength, and some reports claim to have witnessed a gray render uprooting a fully grown tree and tearing it to splinters in order to catch prey hiding within.

That's pretty much perfect for what I need here. I just need to grant it a bit of magic or a template of some kind to let it go around scorching the earth, and maybe give it a few more hit dice to make it more of a challenge, then I'll be set.