PDA

View Full Version : Reverse-Engineering a Warforged Component

Drakhanis
2013-03-25, 06:02 PM
so Warforged get this neat little gadget that allows them to hold up to 4 wands and individually activate them. My question is this: is there any sort of magic item that one could make that does the same thing? I'm looking for something like a cross between the Rod of Many Wands and a Wand Chamber.

Function info: a magic item that allows you to "chamber" multiple (2-4) Wands, and activate them individually without wasting extra charges from them. I think there's a crossbow in Arms and Equipment that lets you chamber 2 wands and activate them individually.

any ideas, or do I need to homebrew one and run it by my DM?

Greenish
2013-03-25, 06:10 PM
Wand Bracer (MIC) lets you swap between four wands as a move action, and costs way too much. Ehlonna's Quiver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#efficientQuiver) lets you store and produce items that are about wand-sized.

Cheapest option would be a quarterstaff with two wand chambers (Dungeonscape, I think). You can hold it in one hand, you could smack useful weapon enchantments (Eager, Warning, Defending…) on either end, and so forth.

Drakhanis
2013-03-25, 07:47 PM
okay, I was a bit confused. the Warforged Wand Sheath is effectively little more than a Casting Glove.

And yes, I think the best option for what I want is a staff with 2 wand chambers. The next question is this: can I use a magic staff (or a runestaff) to plug wand chambers into, or does it have to be a mundane staff?

Greenish
2013-03-25, 07:53 PM
The SRD mentions that "A typical staff is like a walking stick, quarterstaff, or cudgel." That probably means that it can count as a quarterstaff, the weapon, and thus is valid target for wand chamber.

Octopusapult
2013-03-25, 09:17 PM
You'll probably have to talk to your DM about it anyway. But if you do find one let us know.... combining this with the Extra Rings Feat in Eberron sounds like good times for all.

Darrin
2013-03-26, 06:18 AM
And yes, I think the best option for what I want is a staff with 2 wand chambers. The next question is this: can I use a magic staff (or a runestaff) to plug wand chambers into, or does it have to be a mundane staff?

Either. Wand chambers can be added to any mundane weapon. They can be added to magic weapons as well, but presumably this is easier or more common with newly crafted magic weapons, rather than existing magic weapons that weren't originally created with a wand chamber. (Existing magic weapons might be destroyed by adding a wand chamber.)

Actually, you probably want the quarterstaff to be at least masterwork. Then you can slap on a Least Crystal of Return (500 GP, MIC), and draw it as a free action. Glove of the Master Strategist (3600, Ghostwalk) can also be used to swap out weapons as a free action.