PDA

View Full Version : Uncanny Forethought + Expanding my spellbook

Miriad
2013-03-25, 07:42 PM
I am playing a Generalist Elf wizard and I am trying to expand my spellbook as much as possible. The idea is to leave as many spell slots open in order to be able to recall any spell known in combat. This is what I have so far:

Dragonborn Grey Elf
Wizard 5

Feats
1: Collegiate Wizard
3: Spell Mastery
6: Uncanny Forethought

Elf Wizard Racial Sub
Domain Wizard: Transmutation

I am not sure if I should look into a prestige class, keep going with wizard (Since I wont qualifyfor any prestige class since they all ask for feats), or try to get divine casting and theurge it. Is there some way to get spells from other lists (cleric, druid, paladin) into my spellbook so I can use them with Uncanny Forethought? I also have to bump my INT as much as possible to be able to use unprepared spells as standard action instead of full round.

mattie_p
2013-03-25, 07:52 PM
Rainbow Servant (Complete Divine) adds all cleric spells to your wizard list at level 10. Requires non-evil and non-chaotic, 3rd level spells, and a skill you should have anyway. You do lose 4 caster levels, though.

Aegis013
2013-03-25, 07:54 PM
Rainbow Servant .... You do lose 4 caster levels, though.

Talk to your DM about it, the table says you'll lose several caster levels, but the text says otherwise. Typically text takes precedence over table, but if this PrC is considered a full casting PrC it's extremely powerful, so discuss it with your DM.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-25, 07:57 PM
I am not sure if I should look into a prestige class, keep going with wizard (Since I wont qualifyfor any prestige class since they all ask for feats), or try to get divine casting and theurge it. Is there some way to get spells from other lists (cleric, druid, paladin) into my spellbook so I can use them with Uncanny Forethought? I also have to bump my INT as much as possible to be able to use unprepared spells as standard action instead of full round.
Arcane Disciple can get a domain added to your list (with restrictions).
Independent research is expensive, but can theoretically give you any spell your DM will let you have.

A level in Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm) will put Bard spells on your class list.

Carth
2013-03-25, 07:58 PM
2 levels of geometer will dramatically reduce the amount you spend on acquiring spells that aren't obtained at level up. Each spell only taking up one page means that you'll spend much less on the inks necessary for scribing. If you're using a blessed book and don't need expensive inks, then it's very likely you won't ever need a second blessed book, as there are just under 1,000 wizard spells in the entirety of the PHB, Spell Compendium, and Complete Mage, so you'd need to be a mega spellhoarder to fill up the blessed book.

The feat arcane disciple from Complete Divine adds a single cleric domain's spells to your list. Taking the luck domain for miracle is a great way to have some level of access to all 8th level cleric spells and all spells of 7th level. The wyrm wizard prestige class can add a single spell from any list to your spellbook at even numbered levels.

Miriad
2013-03-25, 08:25 PM
Independent research is expensive, but can theoretically give you any spell your DM will let you have.

A level in Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm) will put Bard spells on your class list.

Once I Pick prestige Bard I still have to scribe the scrolls on to my spellbook right? And I have to select them when I level up?

Crake
2013-03-25, 08:32 PM
Is it just me or is there something wrong with the OP's premise? He wants to be able to cast any spell he knows without preparing through the use of uncanny forethought, but that feat only allows you to do that with spells you have selected with spell mastery?

Carth
2013-03-25, 08:38 PM
Is it just me or is there something wrong with the OP's premise? He wants to be able to cast any spell he knows without preparing through the use of uncanny forethought, but that feat only allows you to do that with spells you have selected with spell mastery?

That's not correct, it allows you to cast any spell you've mastered as a standard action, or any spell you know as a full round action. Hilariously, by strict RAW (IE, the kind that never sees use in actual games) this means you can cast spells with a casting time of 10 minutes and so forth in a standard or full round action, because it lacks the usual 'unless its casting time is greater' clause.

Miriad
2013-03-25, 09:19 PM
The idea is to have a Huge repertoire or spells to be able to deal with any scenario with a Full round action casting-

Pickford
2013-03-26, 03:01 AM

Well, the Arcane Domains...that doesn't include any Divine domain.

And those PrCs are only available if the base classes aren't. i.e. no regular bards exist in the universe.

Perhaps pick up the SLA feats in Complete Arcane, that'll free up slots for other spells. Granted, they aren't high level things, but it's good for basic would like to have on hand stuff.

Carth
2013-03-26, 03:08 AM
Well, the Arcane Domains...that doesn't include any Divine domain.

And those PrCs are only available if the base classes aren't. i.e. no regular bards exist in the universe.

Perhaps pick up the SLA feats in Complete Arcane, that'll free up slots for other spells. Granted, they aren't high level things, but it's good for basic would like to have on hand stuff.

Arcane disciple is a Complete Divine feat. It has nothing to do with with the Unearthed Arcana wizard domains, functionally.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-26, 07:28 AM
Once I Pick prestige Bard I still have to scribe the scrolls on to my spellbook right? And I have to select them when I level up?Correct.
Well, the Arcane Domains...that doesn't include any Divine domain.They are functionally completely separate mechanics.
And those PrCs are only available if the base classes aren't. i.e. no regular bards exist in the universe.Kind of. The way it's phrased, the base classes become unavailable if you use the prestige classes.