PDA

View Full Version : Help me create this Character (NpC?)

Kerilstrasz
2013-03-25, 11:51 PM
Ok... i want to create this character since like my 2nd campaign ever played,
but really don't think i can manage alone...

I suppose most of you have seen the Area 88 anime... remember that old man
that owned the store/storage at the airport? the one that once said: "ooh..
here you can find and buy anything... from toilet paper to nuclear warheads"

so.. there is this dude.. he prolly is a man with high reputation to all kind of
merchant guilds, towns & villages, ports etc etc.. he even has shady connections
with rogue guilds...
he travels a lot... seems that no1 is able to find him, but he is never unreachable...
he is traveling around the world and joins groups just for the fun...
he is the guy that can provide any item you can ever need... like: "oh.. iwish
i had a XXX" -"here you are.."
he prolly would carry like 100 BoH on him at any given moment and consider
himself undergeared...
i don't speak about weapons and armors.. i mean about everything...
you need a glass vial? i have it
you need a hammock? i have it
you need a rare poison that puts a dragon to sleep? i have it
you need a lvl6 spell? what you prefer,potion,rod,staff,wand or scroll?
what color you said those socks to be? ye ye, i have that here..

so.. how i start ? i want to create him in 3,5E exclusively..
no homebrew, no magazines.. i want him to be strictly by the book...
any 3,5 book, any 3,5 setting.

so... tell me:
what is the minimum level i can have him?
what is his class(es) (& Pr.C.)?
what about skills & feats?
what is the minimum wealth he should have to start?

remember that i want all the above but i dont want anything about combat..
he is not a fighter... he is not a combat caster or healer...
he is a living universal vendor machine :)

HunterOfJello
2013-03-26, 12:08 AM
The only character that I'm aware of that can truly pull out any magic item from their pocket at any time is the Pathfinder Chronicler (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/pathfinder-chronicler), but that PrC happens to be from (you guessed it) Pathfinder.

~

As far as character builds go for characters that can craft pretty much ANY item in the entire game, there are three builds that I'm aware of.

Artificer 20 (or at least 14) will get you a huge list of item creation feats and a long list of Infusions which can work very similar to the premise you were talking about. The artificer's infusions (pseudo-spell abilities) give them a wide range of options for enchanting armor, weapons, and items on the fly as well as adding spells onto items that can be activated soon after. If they have 1 minute to spare, an artificer can use the Spell Storing Item infusion to imbue an item with any 4th level or lower spell which they can then cast within 1 hour/level as if they were a spellcaster.

Chameleon 2 is another option for gaining pretty much every item creation feat in the game. They have to meet the prerequisites for gaining the feats, so they can't craft constructs, but they can craft most things.

Binders (or Anima Mages) who gain access to the Focalor Vestige (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) gain access to pretty much every item creation feat in the game. They also don't have to have the prerequisite feats to gain an item creation feat for a while, so they can craft constructs and the like.

~~~~~~

One of the major benefits of playing a character who crafts all their own items is that they generally end up breaking the Wealth By Level restrictions. Since they can craft items for half the cost of buying an item, they create a large repertoire of useful items at their command which other characters wouldn't have access to.

~~~~~~~~~

Another option if you're just interested in using magical items to replace class features is the Cannith Wand Adept. They use wands like crazy to great effect, though not as well as Artificers generally do.

Artificer might be your best choice in general, unless you're interested in a more Rogue or Factotum route.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-26, 12:30 AM
Binders (or Anima Mages) who gain access to the Focalor Vestige (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) gain access to pretty much every item creation feat in the game. They also don't have to have the prerequisite feats to gain an item creation feat for a while, so they can craft constructs and the like.

I think you mean the Astaroth vestige, not Focalor. Focalor is one of the default ones presented in the ToM.