PDA

View Full Version : Gnomoria: THAR BE GOBLINS!

XiaoTie
2013-03-26, 08:55 AM
inb4 DF / TOWNS RIPOFF
(Now, to be honest, you can draw some parallels between Gnomoria and the aforementioned DF)

With that out of the way, here's a link for this awesome little game (http://store.steampowered.com/app/224500).

In it you control a colony of gnomes that moved out/got lost because <insert whatever reason you want in here>. You can organize them according to their skills, giving them appropriate jobs to maximize the quality of their work. And then gnomads come once they hear your amazing tales of surviving the crazy stuff thrown at you! So make sure you have room for them.

After a while you will be attacked by goblins and wild beasts (and more, apparently, but I haven't gone that far yet), so you need to prepare your military.

Also, winter. Like, the ant and the grasshopper WINTER.

Anyway, anyone else playing this nice little gem? Share your stories!

Cogwheel
2013-03-26, 09:07 AM
I can't find stone. I can't find stone anywhere.

I found something like 1000+ Lapis Lazuli but I feel like those might be a bit more precious than typical rocks.

XiaoTie
2013-03-26, 09:19 AM
Had a similar issue in my first attempt (minus all the lapis!), now I always dig down staircases for about 8 levels. Might get stone a few layers before or after that and whenever I didn't get stone by the eighth layer I tried minecraft's good old mining in corridors things.

In my 27 hours clocked into the game (in the last 3 days! this thing is addictive) think I failed...4 or 5 times before my current and functional settlement. I got to winter and past it once, but some gnomes died of starvation or thirst due to being walled in, and when I tried to make a run for some apples...GOBLINS! And everyone died.

Now I'm preeeeetty safe regarding food stock and drinks, but I haven't hit the winter yet. We'll see.

Domochevsky
2013-03-26, 01:40 PM
Fun game indeed, but eff Mants. :smallsigh:

Cogwheel
2013-03-26, 01:47 PM
So is it just me or is making beds crazy hard?

Cikomyr
2013-03-26, 01:58 PM
I would like to know what there is to this game that I wouldn't get with Dwarf Fortress..

Leecros
2013-03-26, 02:35 PM
I would like to know what there is to this game that I wouldn't get with Dwarf Fortress..

nothing, Gnomoria is essentially Dwarf Fortress for casual players....as is Towns.

That's not a bad thing though, don't get me wrong. Just....Dwarf Fortress is a bit more hardcore.

XiaoTie
2013-03-26, 03:51 PM
^

This and the learning curve is not a straight up cliff. As far as TOWNS, I don't really know because I haven't played TOWNS yet, but from what I got from some videos on the internet they are somewhat different, can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's because TOWNS reminds me of H&H, while Gnomoria reminds me of DF.

Early on beds are quite hard to make.

What I did to make it easier/faster was to create a sizable wheat farm and 3 crude workbenches as soon as possible. Then a loom, and then the tailor to create mattresses. I try to set up some sort of dormitory with thatch beds for them while the true beds are not ready

factotum
2013-03-26, 04:17 PM

Halfway decent graphics and a user interface that doesn't make grown men sob in despair? :smallwink:

Cikomyr
2013-03-26, 05:48 PM
Halfway decent graphics and a user interface that doesn't make grown men sob in despair? :smallwink:

Pff... Clear UI are for wusses

Cespenar
2013-03-27, 01:42 AM
Pff... Clear UI are for wusses

Meh. As a lover of ASCII graphics and someone who extensively played stuff like Nethack, ADOM, etc. (and actually got irritated when a sprite graphics upgrade came for DoomRL :smalltongue:), Dwarf Fortress still has the crappiest UI I've seen in a game.

XiaoTie
2013-03-28, 10:22 AM
Fun game indeed, but eff Mants. :smallsigh:

I just experienced this...
"Oooh, lookit, new gnomads :D Let's open a hole in the wall for them" ... "Wait...what is that?...WTF GITOFF GITOFF"

Damn Mants

Leecros
2013-03-28, 09:25 PM
Dwarf Fortress still has the crappiest UI I've seen in a game.

I can kind of understand Toady One's position which i believe is: He doesn't want to make the UI that the 'finished product'(whatever that means for Dwarf Fortress) until after he implements all of the major features so that he doesn't have to go back all the time and add stuff.

At the same time, there is an argument to be made that once the UI is implemented, it'd be a fairly easy task to go back and add whatever is needed and the longer he waits the longer it'll take him to actually build the UI in the first place.