PDA

View Full Version : Half Balrog

dantiesilva
2013-03-26, 11:10 AM
Hello fellow playgrounder's. As of late I have been thinking of a LotR type world and as such started creating it.

For all of you who want to take a look
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277509

But one of the mechanics I wanted to incorporate into my world is the presence of Half Balrog's. Since I was researching and found that there were only 7 Balrogs a any one time I thought why not have half Balrogs with Orcs, Trolls, Goblins, and dragons. And so this led me to the homebrew section to ask all of you to design a half balrog of each of the races stated above. Or even making it a template you add onto the base creature would be enough. Thank you all in advance and I look foward to what you come up with.

inuyasha
2013-03-26, 06:01 PM
well if you provide me stats for a balrog, I can provide you a half balrog ;)

and if you dont, I still could probably make a pretty kewl one

LordErebus12
2013-03-26, 06:06 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

rules on making half-fiends are there.

inuyasha
2013-03-26, 06:09 PM
oh I wasnt thinking half fiend ;) I have a more complex method I use ;)

LordErebus12
2013-03-26, 06:11 PM
oh I wasnt thinking half fiend ;) I have a more complex method I use ;)

better to start with a basic template, then expand, imo

dantiesilva
2013-03-26, 06:28 PM
Well saying a Balrog is the same exact thing as a Balor in D&D besides it can not summon stuff

It is a large outsider

Has 20d8 for Racial HD...Know what hold on

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Balor

ThatOneGuy79
2013-03-26, 08:32 PM
Not to be a party pooper or anything, but to keep it true to LOTR you simply can't have half-balrogs. Such a thing doesn't exist in Middle-Earth/Grey Havens/Valinor.

inuyasha
2013-03-26, 08:41 PM
none of this is true to LotR, the goblins won the war in this universe...plus...who cares...its D&D :)

Cikomyr
2013-03-26, 08:44 PM
Not to be a party pooper or anything, but to keep it true to LOTR you simply can't have half-balrogs. Such a thing doesn't exist in Middle-Earth/Grey Havens/Valinor.

Aren't the Grey Haven in Middle Earth?

dantiesilva
2013-03-26, 09:07 PM

How is it possible to go to a homebrew section and get this answer.....Thats like saying you know the book published by WotC that has all the homebrew in it....Oh wait there is not one....

Sorry anyways, So can anyone come up with a build for this. MY LotR universe were everything can mate with anything.

Ok so Abilities increases/Decreases
+24to STR
+14 to Dex
+20Con
+14Int
+14 to Wis
+16 to Cha

Base speed of 40ft, Fly 90ft.

NA +4 (19/4=4.X)

Smite good

Spell like abilities
1-2HD Darkness 3/day
3-4HD Produce flame 3/day
5-6HD Scare 3/day
7-8HD Shadow walk
9-10HD Magic circle against law
11-12HD Deeper darkness
13-14HD Unholy aura
15-16HD Blasphemy
17-18HD Word of chaos
19-20HD Fire storm

Perhaps grant him spells from the evil and Chaos domains?

inuyasha
2013-03-26, 09:28 PM
evil, chaos, and possibly fire, death, and destruction ;)

dantiesilva
2013-03-26, 09:40 PM
Well they were said to be made of shadow and fire so perhaps if they do not have a shadow domain Darkness and Fire, Taking Unholy word and the other one for chaos.

dantiesilva
2013-03-27, 10:58 PM
Half Balrog Template

Ok so Abilities increases/Decreases
+24to STR
+14 to Dex
+20Con
+14Int
+14 to Wis
+16 to Cha

Base speed of 40ft, Fly 90ft.

NA +4 (19/4=4.X)

Smite good

Spell like abilities
1-2HD Darkness
3-4HD Produce flame
5-6HD Scare
7-8HD Shadow walk
9-10HD Magic circle against law
11-12HD Deeper darkness
13-14HD Unholy aura
15-16HD Blasphemy
17-18HD Word of chaos
19-20HD Fire storm

So how many times per day should these spells go off?

darklink_shadow
2013-03-28, 04:31 AM
Let me try doing something here...

Half-Balrog

Stats:
STR + 12
CON + 8
DEX + 4
INT + 2
WIS - 2
CHA + 4

(Or whatever. Stats are for you to figure out. I don't give a rats ass about the stats, but I can't imagine a half balrog being as sane as a normal member of the other half of it's kind.)

dr 5/Iron

gain +2 claws that deal typical claw damage for it's size. Made from cold iron.

Gain Frightful Presence of a True Dragon

Gain 2 wings, but not a flight speed. These wings are not corporal, but can be used as weapons.

Gain 2 Wing Slams, or whatever they are called, as normal for your slam. These do fire damage.

Spell like -
At will: Darkness
At will: Conjure Flame Blade*

HD 10 or more:
At Will: Greater Darkness
At Will: Breathe weapon that deals 6d8 fire damage in a 15' cone. Recharges as a fullround action of inhaling deeply. Provokes attack of opportunity.

HD 15 or more:
Wing aided charge: You can use your wings to help you charge, ignoring any difficult terrain in the way, and able to make a jump check as part of your charge with a +HD bonus to the check.

*Conjure Flame Blade
You conjure a blade of pure flame. Treat this as either a short sword, long sword, bastard sword or full blade or whip. You are profiecent with this weapon and it deals lethal fire damage equal to the base weapon plus 1d6 per 5 HD.

Ehh, just off the top of my head. Based on what I can remember of Balrogs.

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 04:50 AM
Half-Balrog
Type changes to (native) Outsider

Stats:
STR + 8, CON + 4, DEX + 2, INT + 2, WIS - 2, CHA + 4

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-balrog lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-balrog is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-balrog is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-balrog is also considered one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-balrog can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Immunities: Fire, Poison

Energy Resistance: Electricity 10, Acid 5, Cold 5

spell resistance: 8 + HD

1st - 6th level: DR 5 / Cold Iron
7th - 12th level - 10th: DR 10 / Cold Iron
13th level and higher: DR 15 / Cold Iron

gain two claws that deal typical claw damage for it's size. Treated as both magical and cold iron for the purposes of DR.

Gain 2 shadowy wings, with no flight speed. These wings are not corporal, but can be used as secondary weapons against incorporeal targets (1d4).

Spell like Abilities

At will: Conjure Flame Weapon*

HD 10th or less:

3/Day: Fireball, Greater Darkness

HD 11th or more:

At will: Fireball, Greater Darkness

Firebreathing (Su): At will, Breath weapon that deals Xd8 fire damage in a 15' cone, where X is your total HD. The target gets a reflex save (DC 10 + half-HD + con modifier) for half damage. Recharges after 1d4-1 rounds (minimum 1)

*Conjure Flame Weapon
You conjure a weapon of pure flame. Treat this as either a short sword, long sword, bastard sword or full blade or whip. You are proficiency with this weapon and it deals fire damage equal to 1d6 plus an extra 1d6 per 5 HD.

LA +5

darklink_shadow
2013-03-28, 05:00 AM
No flight. Balrogs cannot fly.

Edit... are you daft? Or electrical? No. Fire or fire or maybe shadow? Or fire.

You change the core chassis of the balrog too much my friend.

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 05:03 AM
No flight. Balrogs cannot fly.

Edit... are you daft? Or electrical? No. Fire or fire or maybe shadow? Or fire.

You change the core chassis of the balrog too much my friend.

going off my memory of some balors weapon, sry, forgot this was balrog.

fixed

darklink_shadow
2013-03-28, 05:07 AM
Oh. Well, that's a bit more understandable then. Thanks for listening! This forum is much more... relaxed to criticism than my old forum!

I think that template looks good. Balanced? No idea. But if I had that, I'd feel like a balrog.

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 05:10 AM
Oh. Well, that's a bit more understandable then. Thanks for listening! This forum is much more... relaxed to criticism than my old forum!

I think that template looks good. Balanced? No idea. But if I had that, I'd feel like a balrog.

LA +6 definitely makes it nearly unplayable, but it is evenly balanced enough to squeeze by without racial levels. if it had racial levels (say 4 levels of outsider) id say lower it to +4 LA.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-28, 05:20 AM
Looking at some other random templates... isn't just LA 4 with no HD not reasonable? Why?

Half dragon is comparable, I think. That is la 3. This scales into later levels much better, but also doesn't give flying. Also, the wings are made from plane of shadow smoke, they deal some kind of special damage.

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 05:20 AM
Looking at some other random templates... isn't just LA 4 with no HD not reasonable? Why?

Half dragon is comparable, I think. That is la 3. This scales into later levels much better, but also doesn't give flying. Also, the wings are made from plane of shadow smoke, they deal some kind of special damage.

compared to the half-fiend template, this is much more powerful, except for flight and SR

LA +5

darklink_shadow
2013-03-28, 05:26 AM
It loses immunity to poison, flight, dark vision (which it should actually get...), spell resistance and good resistance even, and a smite.

All of that is worth quite a bit. Poisons can be devastating if used right / at lower levels / with homebrew rules on dcs to make them not dumb / the right prestige classes

Sr is the bane of the most powerful mechanic in the game. I don't see this as more powerful. Give it the dark vision and the sr, and fire immunity, them I will say 6 or 5 is good. 6 is a lot...

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 05:32 AM
Half-Balrogs
Half-Balrogs are a nasty lot; inheriting a great deal of foulness and evil from their mixed parentage. They have much of the love of violence and a burning rage that they cannot seem to quite quell. They are intelligent and use coercion whenever possible to dominate those weaker than them. They make good on threats whenever possible and often seek to reach new levels of power. Their hubris and greed are heightened by their innate powers.

Half-balrogs typically are much taller than their humanoid parents, with a build similar to their demonic parentage. They are tall and powerfully muscular and enjoy using their strength to prove their points. They have shaggy black hair, almost like horse or bull hair and always disheveled. They often reek of brimstone and have red-tinted eyes that flash with fiery malevolence when angered. They often have thick bony ridges on their skulls, almost but not quite growing into horns.

Stats:
STR + 8, CON + 4, DEX + 2, INT + 2, WIS - 2, CHA + 4

Type changes to (evil, native) Outsider

Darkvision: 60 ft.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-balrog lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-balrog is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-balrog is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-balrog is also considered one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-balrog can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Immunities: Fire, Poison

Energy Resistance: Electricity 10, Acid 5, Cold 5

spell resistance: 8 + HD

Natural Armor: +3

1st - 6th level: DR 5 / Cold Iron
7th - 12th level - 10th: DR 10 / Cold Iron
13th level and higher: DR 15 / Cold Iron

gain two claws that deal typical claw damage for it's size. Treated as both magical and cold iron for the purposes of DR.

Gain 2 shadowy wings, with no flight speed. These wings are not corporal, but can be used as secondary weapons against incorporeal targets (1d4).

Spell like Abilities

At will: Conjure Flame Weapon*

HD 10th or less:

3/Day: Fireball, Greater Darkness

HD 11th or more:

At will: Fireball, Greater Darkness

Firebreathing (Su): At will, Breath weapon that deals Xd8 fire damage in a 15' cone, where X is your total HD. The target gets a reflex save (DC 10 + half-HD + con modifier) for half damage. Recharges after 1d4-1 rounds (minimum 1)

*Conjure Flame Weapon
You conjure a weapon of pure flame. Treat this as either a short sword, long sword, bastard sword or full blade or whip. You are proficiency with this weapon and it deals fire damage equal to 1d6 plus an extra 1d6 per 5 HD.

LA +6

darklink_shadow
2013-03-28, 05:37 AM
Smashing. I'd not only be tempted to use it for the right build, but it fits thematically and I think its well balanced.

Hmm... good call. Is it la 6 now? It may be. Smack on a cap to SR at around 30. Grant him sleep immunity.

Call it LA 6.

Seem... good?

Also, if he chooses a two conjured blade, does it really do the same as a one handed one?

The Succubus
2013-03-28, 05:45 AM
I'm trying to imagine the circumstances as to how a half-Balrog would come into being and yet my brain just keeps throwing up a Blue Screen of Death.

darklink_shadow
2013-03-28, 05:51 AM
Magic. I'm assuming power granted by some evil force. Or maybe by cultist worshippers of balrogs.

Not via sexual encounters with sexless beings, that's for sure.

But them again, the op said mating...

Huh. Uh....................... blue screen of death.

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 05:52 AM
I'm trying to imagine the circumstances as to how a half-Balrog would come into being and yet my brain just keeps throwing up a Blue Screen of Death.

Imagine the ritual between a 4'2" 100lb. drow priestess and a 15' 5,500 lbs. Glabrezu, to produce a draegloth such as Jeggred, then call me in the morning. From what i gather, the mother never quite regains her constitution, even with magical aid throughout the process.

The kid is pretty cool looking though.
http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt109/Cain-Forbes/Jeggred_2.jpg

dantiesilva
2013-03-28, 09:10 AM
Thank you everyone so much for your help I only got one thing to say directed at LordErebus12 and darklink_shadow. No NA? Looking at the base template it is built off of (Half-fiend[Balor]) It would have NA+4 beacause of the WotC link LordErebus12 sent me, as well as the stats being well as high as they were in my horribly unbalanced version of it. Any reason why, though I do love the powerful build idea and the spell lists you made. They fit much better thank you.

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 09:20 AM
Thank you everyone so much for your help I only got one thing to say directed at LordErebus12 and darklink_shadow. No NA? Looking at the base template it is built off of (Half-fiend[Balor]) It would have NA+4 beacause of the WotC link LordErebus12 sent me, as well as the stats being well as high as they were in my horribly unbalanced version of it. Any reason why, though I do love the powerful build idea and the spell lists you made. They fit much better thank you.

your referring to LA, not NA... Right?

Level Adjustments?

My final version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14982295&postcount=23) was settled on LA+6

dantiesilva
2013-03-28, 10:00 AM
No I am talking about NA as in Natural armor. Its skin tougher then mortal flesh...It has none, and going by MM and WotC it would have at the very least +1, at most +4 because 19/4 is less then 5 so it gets dropped to 4.

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 10:25 AM
No I am talking about NA as in Natural armor. Its skin tougher then mortal flesh...It has none, and going by MM and WotC it would have at the very least +1, at most +4 because 19/4 is less then 5 so it gets dropped to 4.

Ah, what do you think it should be at?

dantiesilva
2013-03-28, 09:38 PM
Somewhere between +2 and +4 as a Balor has +19 so giving it that much should not change it drastically do you agree?

LordErebus12
2013-03-28, 09:53 PM
Somewhere between +2 and +4 as a Balor has +19 so giving it that much should not change it drastically do you agree?

+3 might work, about a third of the size.

Added +3 Natural Armor in it.

dantiesilva
2013-03-28, 10:28 PM
In that case I believe it is done. Thank you very much everyone for your help on creating this with me.