PDA

View Full Version : Lower level spell in a higher level slot

Totally Guy
2013-03-26, 11:14 AM
In the rules you can use a spell slot for a spell that is a lower level than the spell slot itself. Once you've got metamagic there's even less reason to do so. Have you ever done it? What was the situation?

Gazzien
2013-03-26, 11:23 AM
In the rules you can use a spell slot for a spell that is a lower level than the spell slot itself. Once you've got metamagic there's even less reason to do so. Have you ever done it? What was the situation?

Our cleric once prepared... Oh god, I don't know how many...

A lot a lot a lot of remove curse and remove disease (we had gone up against templated mummy groups the day before, and a couple of us picked up Mummy Rot).

Deadline
2013-03-26, 11:32 AM

It can be useful if (for some reason), you do not have a high enough casting stat to cast higher level spells, but you have those spell slots. Say, a Half-Orc Sorcerer with a 14 Charisma and 5th level spell slots can at least use those slots for more 4th level (or lower) spells.

navar100
2013-03-26, 11:39 AM
Spontaneous casters will do it when they need to spam a spell or just relaly, really needing to cast a particular spell but have already used up that level's spell slots. I had to use a 4th level slot to cast Dispel Magic once.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-03-26, 11:44 AM
It mostly comes up with domain slots, where you have extremely limited spells known, and some of them are stinkers. For someone with the Celerity domain, for instance, it can make sense to fill level 5-7 domain spell slots with Haste instead of the normally mediocre utility spells and low enhancement bonuses on the Celerity spell list, provided the character's other domains don't have any real winners in that level range.

Grasharm
2013-03-26, 11:47 AM
I have one PRC that says it all. Force Missile Mage.

ahenobarbi
2013-03-26, 11:51 AM
I used Quick Potion + Alter Self on all party once I ran out of 2nd level slots and had to use 3rd level slots.

Grasharm
2013-03-26, 11:52 AM
Actually I just thought of another time I ended up preparing ray of frost in all my slots as a wizard. I had been put under a geas that I knew I had to fight one of my teammates in an arena the next day. I wouldn't be able to help myself from doing my best to kill him even though if he won we would go free. So the night before while I was still somewhat free of the arena enchantment I prepared ray of frost in all my spell slots. It fulfilled the command of preparing spells that would harm my opponent and none of those weak utility or defense spells. We want to see pain.

Jaikei
2013-03-27, 03:50 AM
Playing in an epic campaign, access to 15th level slots (DM was only interested in the players becoming comically overpowered), and my Cleric filled every possible slot with Implosion, against a slew of enemies with poor Fort saves and Spell Resistance negated. High Concentration checks making four Implosions per casting, and a large supply of Implosions to boot. Unreliable against competent foes, but entertaining.

Spuddles
2013-03-27, 03:58 AM
Explosive Runes.

Jaikei
2013-03-27, 04:36 AM
Explosive Runes.

Cue the knowledge-hungry, book-loving Beholder.

Crake
2013-03-27, 04:43 AM
It can be useful if (for some reason), you do not have a high enough casting stat to cast higher level spells, but you have those spell slots. Say, a Half-Orc Sorcerer with a 14 Charisma and 5th level spell slots can at least use those slots for more 4th level (or lower) spells.

having your casting stat damaged or drained can result in this. Other times if you need a lot of uses of a utility spell? I remember I prepared 12 phantom steeds once when we REALLY needed to get somewhere quickly

Greenish
2013-03-27, 05:16 AM
having your casting stat damaged or drained can result in this. Other times if you need a lot of uses of a utility spell? I remember I prepared 12 phantom steeds once when we REALLY needed to get somewhere quicklyHmm, there's the Mount spell, and Regal Procession (ie. Mass Mount), so obviously there should be a spell for summoning a bunch of Phantom Steeds.

Komatik
2013-03-27, 05:17 AM
I have one PRC that says it all. Force Missile Mage.

What is this, DBZ?:smallconfused:

Sith_Happens
2013-03-27, 06:13 AM
What is this, DBZ?:smallconfused:

Close: Dragon Compendium.

Gerrtt
2013-03-27, 07:25 AM
Here's a situation where you might use lower level spells in higher level slots.

Behold! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0178.html)

Greenish
2013-03-27, 07:29 AM
Here's a situation where you might use lower level spells in higher level slots.

Behold! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0178.html)Huh, he just assumes his lizard form can use the Verbal components. Well, given that he's monologueing about it, it's not an unwarranted assumption, but still.

TuggyNE
2013-03-27, 07:45 AM
Huh, he just assumes his lizard form can use the Verbal components. Well, given that he's monologueing about it, it's not an unwarranted assumption, but still.

And since the young black dragon understands hir speech later, it seems to be pretty reasonable.

Krobar
2013-03-27, 08:06 AM
I once had a Sorcerer that was cursed into only ever casting Fireball, and casting it at every possible opportunity. "We need some light down here..." Fireball! "I can't read these runes..." Fireball! You name the situation... Fireball!

supermonkeyjoe
2013-03-27, 10:16 AM
On a general adventuring day, no, but certainly when the party has a specific goal in mind doing something like filling every slot with create water is likely

Doug Lampert
2013-03-27, 10:32 AM
On a general adventuring day, no, but certainly when the party has a specific goal in mind doing something like filling every slot with create water is likely

One of the first 3.0 games I ever played in the Sorcerer never bothered with Teleport.

Normal loadout for the travel domain Cleric
Level 5 domain: Teleport
Level 6 domain: Teleport

There his other level 6 domain simply didn't come close to the utility of one more teleport.

I'm pretty sure the other cleric sometimes downloaded slots to get more Searing Light until he got to where he could afford a wand at near caster level, he really loved that spell for some reason.

DougL

HunterOfJello
2013-03-27, 10:43 AM
I used Quick Potion + Alter Self on all party once I ran out of 2nd level slots and had to use 3rd level slots.

FYI:

Quick Potion can only have spells cast into it that are "suitable for making potions". (SC)

Alter Self is a Range:Personal spell and cannot therefore be put into a potion due to the rule that, "Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions." (SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm))

~~~~~~~

Wizards can also leave spell slots open throughout the day then prepare a 2nd level spell in a 5th level spell slot if that 2nd level spell is what they really need at the moment.

Evard
2013-03-27, 11:15 AM
FYI:

Quick Potion can only have spells cast into it that are "suitable for making potions". (SC)

Alter Self is a Range:Personal spell and cannot therefore be put into a potion due to the rule that, "Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions." (SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm))

~~~~~~~

Wizards can also leave spell slots open throughout the day then prepare a 2nd level spell in a 5th level spell slot if that 2nd level spell is what they really need at the moment.

Jekel and Hyde?

Or in PF, the Alchemist has mutagens... I don't see why alter self can't be a potion... And by that I mean I don't see why WoTC didn't make an exception for the spell Alter Self, Polymorph, Baleful Polymorph, and Shapechange.

Oh cause then the melee guy will be able to do some fun stuff without UMD or Caster Levels.... :smallannoyed:

JusticeZero
2013-03-27, 11:23 AM
Lots and lots of intangible enemies. Magic Missile (Force damage) spam ahoy.

Deophaun
2013-03-27, 11:30 AM
Or in PF, the Alchemist has mutagens... I don't see why alter self can't be a potion... And by that I mean I don't see why WoTC didn't make an exception for the spell Alter Self, Polymorph, Baleful Polymorph, and Shapechange.
I think the reasons were to make sure potions remained useless and melee can't have nice things. That said you could make them into elixirs with Craft Wondrous Item.

Evard
2013-03-29, 10:28 AM
Jekel and Hyde?

Oh cause then the melee guy will be able to do some fun stuff without UMD or Caster Levels.... :smallannoyed:

I think the reasons were to make sure potions remained useless and melee can't have nice things. That said you could make them into elixirs with Craft Wondrous Item.

Yeah as I thought...

Gnome Alone
2013-03-29, 10:55 AM
Hmm, there's the Mount spell, and Regal Procession (ie. Mass Mount), so obviously there should be a spell for summoning a bunch of Phantom Steeds.

Phantom Stampede!

TuggyNE
2013-03-29, 06:14 PM
Phantom Stampede!

Is that a thing, or are you suggesting the name to homebrew it by? :smallwink:

Coidzor
2013-03-29, 06:23 PM
Well, it helps speed up construction if you're building things using wall of X or excavating something.

Gnome Alone
2013-03-29, 08:01 PM
Is that a thing, or are you suggesting the name to homebrew it by? :smallwink:

I am suggesting a name. Were it a thing, it'd probably be called something real creative like "Mass Phantom Steed."

Phantom Stampede: This spell functions as the spell Phantom Steed, except, like, you know, a lot of them.