PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape Help

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 07:14 PM
I'm having a goofy problem with Inkscape, in that I cannot make shapes. I can draw freehand lines and draw Bezier curves and straight lines. I can even create spirals. But I cannot use the rectangles/squares tool, the circle/ellipses/arcs tool, or the stars/polygons tool. I have no idea why this is. In all likelihood I just pressed a button that I shouldn't have and then forgot about it. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this?

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 07:25 PM
Errmm...

Holding down the Shift of Cntrl keys while trying to draw with the shape doesn't do anything?
I'm not seeing any key commands that would disable the tool but I'm looking for something that resets the program defauts. One sec...

Wait, does this happen in your current document or new ones also?

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 07:32 PM
This is affecting all of my Inkscape documents.

I mean, I can draw these shapes in that I can drag and drop them. I can even select them and delete them. So the program knows that they're there, I just can't see them.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 07:48 PM
Personally I would redownload it but since I have a tendency to screw things up when I do stuff to them I wouldn't suggest it. Though, with that warning, you could try that but there is *no* guarantee it will help at all.

(Uninstall before reinstalling)

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 07:52 PM
Uninstalling Inkscape wouldn't delete my files, would it? I'd hate to lose that work.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 07:54 PM
Hrrmm.. Sorry, I didn't take that into account. I always have copies of the svg and gif files in a separate "Avatars" folder. So, if you just copy or move your files from their default location they'll be okay.

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 07:59 PM
Ugh, I have a lot of stuff to move, then. I'd prefer to keep uninstallation as a last resort. I think that I'll wait for a second opinion before I do something so drastic.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 08:03 PM
1) Just hold Cntrl and multi-select whatever you want to move. And move them...

2) It's not drastic, but whatever. I dunno what the **** I'm talking about anyway.

Good luck, sorry I can't help.

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 08:15 PM
Oh, I forgot multi-selection. Okay, uninstalling now. I'll tell you what happens in a few minutes.

EDIT
It... didn't do anything. Uninstalled, then reinstalled. Same problem. Strange. Huh. Anyone have any other ideas? Any at all? 'Cause I'm rather stumped, folks.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 08:18 PM
That program has so many bugs its ridiculous. I'm sure I could figure something but as I don't have that flaw on mine it's hard to get a solution. There isn't an Inky forum or similar? Sorry I couldn't help.. :smallfrown:

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 08:21 PM
Hey, it isn't your fault that my program screwed up.

Wish it hadn't, though...

Anyway, I'm sure that there's someone here that knows how to fix it.

All I have to do is be patient.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 08:23 PM
Hey, it isn't your fault that my program screwed up.
Yeah, but it's my fault that I can't be helpful.

Neo uses Inky so maybe he'll know something..

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 08:31 PM
I'll send him a PM, then.

Thanks, Ego.

NEO|Phyte
2006-11-16, 08:56 PM
Neo uses Inky so maybe he'll know something..
No, I use Sodipodi, which is apparently rather similar, but still a different program.

I'll poke around a bit once I'm home.

Sophistemon
2006-11-16, 09:02 PM
I would appreciate that, Neo. Thanks.

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 09:06 PM
No, I use Sodipodi, which is apparently rather similar, but still a different program.

I'll poke around a bit once I'm home.

Err, my apologies. I didn't know anyone actually used Sodi.

Flabbicus
2006-11-16, 09:17 PM
Err, my apologies. I didn't know anyone actually used Sodi.

Neo just got burned!

Ego Slayer
2006-11-16, 09:22 PM
Neo just got burned!

o.O
No he didn't. I just haven't heard anyone say thats what they use.

Leave me alone.

Flabbicus
2006-11-16, 09:31 PM
o.O
No he didn't. I just haven't heard anyone say thats what they use.

Leave me alone.

Sure I will.

DarkCorax
2006-11-17, 02:40 PM
I think the problem might be one of the following:

1. you have set the opacity to ) so you can't see it.
2. You have set the boarder and fill colours to white, so you also can't see it. :tongue:

basically Inkscape saves the colour settings for shapes but not for lines. To fix it, open up the fill and stoke box and try changing the Opacity and colours for the stoke and fill and check the master opacity.

sorry If i'm not very clear -_-

Sophistemon
2006-11-18, 01:08 AM
The... uh...

The Master Opacity was set at zero.

Curse you, Technology. Cuuuurrrrsssse yoooouuuu!

Ego Slayer
2006-11-18, 08:14 PM
Heheh... *suppresses more giggling*

Sophie, how did you manage to get everything technological to hate you so much?... *shock*

Well, props to Corax for being all knowledgeable and stuff, I wouldn't have thought of that. ^_^

Brickwall
2006-11-18, 08:15 PM
While we're on the topic, can anyone help me with the problem of mouse displacement?

Basically, whenever I open Inkscape, the computer interpets the location of the click as that of a far different location from the cursor itself. Anybody know what might cause this?