PDA

View Full Version : Weapon and Torch

GutterFace
2013-03-26, 01:48 PM
So i always found this Feat (Dungeonscape) hilarious and semi practical at lower <5 levels.

BUT lets see if we can find a way to take this Feat and supercharge it...

can anyone think of a way to sup up the Torch/Sunrod/Lantern, for better damage?

besides lighting someone covered in oil on fire.

:)

Kerilstrasz
2013-03-26, 04:00 PM
well.. lantern falls into the category of giving out heat so fire dmg right?
there is a an oil that makes flames burn twice as bright (thus hot) but half as long...
wouldnt that be 2d6 fire dmg? i think there is a wiz spell that does the same
as the oil too... i cant find the book though at the moment..

Psyren
2013-03-26, 04:19 PM
You can power up a torch quite well with Control Flames (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlFlames.htm), particularly for Wilders, but the need for concentration means it is unlikely to be a gish tactic.

GutterFace
2013-03-26, 04:25 PM
ah it looks like the W/T will have to be saved for a low level campaign or its going to end up a waste.

le sigh ;P

ericgrau
2013-03-26, 04:27 PM
It is a nice option if retraining is allowed.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-26, 04:32 PM
Why not couple it with a Shield that has had "Light" cast on it? That opens up the bashing capabilities, but considering that the Weapon and Torch feat uses a Special attack in lieu of multiple attacks... yeah, it's a tough sell.

As a GM, I'd let someone use the feat with only Two Weapon Fighting if only to make it useful still at higher levels.

RagnaroksChosen
2013-03-26, 06:05 PM
Hmm.. This is an interesting idea, W/T.

Some ideas:

1. Is a torch defined as a wooden stick? Can you make an everburning torch out of a metal rod/metal rod tied to a wooden stick?
2. Control flame as was mentioned before, preferably with some concentration trick so you don't have to concentrate, think there is a skill trick.
3. Is there a way to give vulnerability to some one?

draxcummuni
2014-12-23, 05:55 AM
So I know this is a little late, but what if you made the torch a wondrous or magical item. If, lIke was suggested previously that a torch could be considered a weapon, then couldn't you then enchant it? If not, then a wonder ousted item or artifact could be the next step. Wotc has provided ample literature on how to make said items, and cutomize them for your own purposes. If trying to use this feat and torch at higher lever, then that would probably be the best way to go.

Ashtagon
2014-12-23, 07:59 AM
So I know this is a little late, but what if you made the torch a wondrous or magical item. If, lIke was suggested previously that a torch could be considered a weapon, then couldn't you then enchant it? If not, then a wonder ousted item or artifact could be the next step. Wotc has provided ample literature on how to make said items, and cutomize them for your own purposes. If trying to use this feat and torch at higher lever, then that would probably be the best way to go.

What you end up with is basically a flaming club.

When a creature can only be hit by a magic weapon, that doesn't mean "strike it with any random enchanted object"; it refers specifically to something that has an enhancement bonus to attack rolls.

Now, torches are inherently consumable items (at least, the ones that you light on fire are, modern ones use electrical power). So as well as the +1 enhancement bonus to ensure it can hit those incorporeal critters at all, you probably want to add the flame magic weapon, in order to be able to have it burn without actually being consumed. Alternately, I suppose the DM could rule that the torches aren't normally consumed, but need to be laced with a pint of oil each time you want to ignite it (good for an hour at a time).

But yeah. +1 flaming club.

Haruki-kun
2014-12-23, 08:42 AM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.