PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for this intricate set of encounters.

killem2
2013-03-26, 02:07 PM
Just some back story

Ok, so in this main room, shaped like an octagon, at the far end of the room, the two corners away from you (as you would walk in), and to the elft and right are 5 doors, made of crystals.

In the center of this room is a cylinder that a cylindrical beam of light hitting this cylinder of crystal and breaking it into 5 colors, Red, blue, yellow, orange, and green, and each beam is stopping at the 5 crystal doors.

Now, these doors are nothing special, (other than odd looking and made of an unknown crystal), they open on hinge like operations.

If anyone opens it, the light hits a huge (at this point unanimated object), statue, in the head. If anyone walks in, it activates an never moves, it only hits those in reach.

Once brought to a certain level of hp, I have a gem of the same colo on a small altar behind them that will be hit by the light because the given statue will run away saying it has failed its master and dive into this darkness that the players had to cross.

Anyway, these rooms connect to a rather large area, 300ft by 150ft odd shaped, but it has two collossal unanimated objects (statues as well).

Depending on how many rooms and previous huge objects the party has defeated they may see only one beam of light or as many as three.

These huge creatures serve as a roadblock from the light that actually causes weakness in the two collassal statues later on.

I am trying to figure out what would be weaknesses for collassal Animated Objects based on their stat blocks (srd). these are statues. Things like oh if you knock out room b, the light weakens their hit points which is 10% off total, if you knock out room a, then it weakes there saving throws by 2 or 3.

and so on.

What would be some clever weaknesses?

Palanan
2013-03-26, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by killem2
...so in this main room, shaped like an octocogon....

I do not think this word means what you think it means.

:smalltongue:

killem2
2013-03-26, 02:51 PM
I do not think this word means what you think it means.

:smalltongue:

woops, typo! octagon!

Kol Korran
2013-03-26, 02:57 PM
the wording on the challenge is not very clear, and quite confusing. I'd suggest framing it better. But as I understand you're asking for certain weaknesses that can be applied on the statues?

Q1: Does there need to be a connection between the specific color and the ability affected?
Q2: Do the colors affect the two statues differently,or the same? it might be interesting for example if the same color amplifies one statue, and weaknes the other...

Anyway, some interesting ideas (I hope):
- Deceleration: a statue's speed is reduced by 5 ft each round, till it reaches half it's speed. on the next round it can move twice it's normal speed, (burst of speed that might surprise the party) but then get back to it's regular speed and decelerate again.
- lack of focus: the statue becomes more and more unfocused. for 2 rounds enemies have 20% concealment, for 2 more round 50% concealment, then it may regain focus for 2 rounds, and start losing it again.
- vulnerability: the statues' material becomes more vulnerable to certain kinds of attacks (certain material, or bludgeoning and so on)- hardness is reduced by 3/ 5/ 8 for these kind of attacks.
- turn to stone: every few rounds (1d6? 1d8?) the statue grinds to a hold and turns to unmoving stone for 1 round (with increased hardness perhaps). this enables the party to either try focus fire, or heal, cast preparatory spells, take different positions and so on
- draining strength: a bit like similar ideas- for 4 rounds the statue loses 2 str each round, then for one round resumes the original score and gets some serious bonus (just to jade the party), and then start losing strength again.
- special ability not working: you might give the statues some special power, which might become inactive for a few rounds every few rounds.
- vulnerable spots: the statues weak spots are revealed- sort of mini targets that might require called shots (harder to hit, small number of hp, possibly some hardness as well, calling for some AoO) but then reduce the statues hit points by as much as 25%. If you're a bit mean, each vital spot destroyed makes the statue a bit faster, meaner, stronger...

I hope this helps?

killem2
2013-03-26, 05:41 PM
the wording on the challenge is not very clear, and quite confusing. I'd suggest framing it better. But as I understand you're asking for certain weaknesses that can be applied on the statues?

Q1: Does there need to be a connection between the specific color and the ability affected?
Q2: Do the colors affect the two statues differently,or the same? it might be interesting for example if the same color amplifies one statue, and weaknes the other...

Anyway, some interesting ideas (I hope):
- Deceleration: a statue's speed is reduced by 5 ft each round, till it reaches half it's speed. on the next round it can move twice it's normal speed, (burst of speed that might surprise the party) but then get back to it's regular speed and decelerate again.
- lack of focus: the statue becomes more and more unfocused. for 2 rounds enemies have 20% concealment, for 2 more round 50% concealment, then it may regain focus for 2 rounds, and start losing it again.
- vulnerability: the statues' material becomes more vulnerable to certain kinds of attacks (certain material, or bludgeoning and so on)- hardness is reduced by 3/ 5/ 8 for these kind of attacks.
- turn to stone: every few rounds (1d6? 1d8?) the statue grinds to a hold and turns to unmoving stone for 1 round (with increased hardness perhaps). this enables the party to either try focus fire, or heal, cast preparatory spells, take different positions and so on
- draining strength: a bit like similar ideas- for 4 rounds the statue loses 2 str each round, then for one round resumes the original score and gets some serious bonus (just to jade the party), and then start losing strength again.
- special ability not working: you might give the statues some special power, which might become inactive for a few rounds every few rounds.
- vulnerable spots: the statues weak spots are revealed- sort of mini targets that might require called shots (harder to hit, small number of hp, possibly some hardness as well, calling for some AoO) but then reduce the statues hit points by as much as 25%. If you're a bit mean, each vital spot destroyed makes the statue a bit faster, meaner, stronger...

I hope this helps?

These are great ideas, to answer your questions the colors don't mean anything, and the go through a series of mirrors that meet up with a large crystal in the other room the shoots it off into the eyes of these two collassal statues.