PDA

View Full Version : Help with a bizarre dungeoncrawl

Sulphuricbear
2013-03-26, 03:11 PM
Im new to gitp, but not 3.5. A couple of friends have asked if I could run a oneshot dungeoncrawl to introduce them to 3.5 edition as they have only played AD&D and 4e.

I was thinking of a bizarre wizard tower filled with oddities at every floor. Things like acidborn sharks and gelatinous cubes with potions of fly. So really what I'm asking for is a couple of encounters and traps of about CR8 with the focus on weird and magic. I know that one player favors rogues, one likes brute strength, one is a fan of magic and one fills whatever he thinks the party needs.
Thanks for any help

Bucky
2013-03-26, 04:37 PM
The environment is at least as important as the monsters, so I'll start there:
*Flier/nonflier asymmetry: The floor is greased, or knee deep in water, or on fire, or something similar. The enemies are dire moths/small air elementals/etc. that would normally be a =CR encounter, but the party is on a timer, falling over themselves or moving slowly.
*Static spell effects, randomly scattered: Aside from the aforementioned Grease, fog/darkness spells shaped into curtains, levitating furniture, reversed-gravity rooms (watch your step!) etc.
*Architecture designed for magic/fliers: Doors 5 feet off the ground, doors without handles, vertical hallways/feather fall shafts, shelves on the ceiling, a completely empty room for illusion experiments etc.