PDA

View Full Version : Cloaked Casting question

alaman13
2013-03-26, 03:51 PM
So I was looking at the Beguiler class and came up with a bit of a question regarding Cloaked Casting. The language is a little unclear as to whether or not it applies to all of a character's spells, or just their Beguiler spells.

It wouldn't be as much of a question if the Armored Mage ability didn't specifically call out that Armored Mage only applies to Beguiler spells, and not spells from other classes. The Cloaked Casting ability doesn't clearly make that distinction.

Any thoughts?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-26, 03:54 PM
So, the following is from a Skip Williams article on WotC's website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060711a) (emphasis mine).

Cloaked Casting: Starting at 2nd level, your spells become more effective when you catch a foe unaware. The save DC (if any) for a beguiler spell improves by +1 if you cast it at a foe who would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC against your attacks.

At 8th level, you also gain a +2 on rolls you make to overcome a foe's spell resistance when you catch him unaware with a beguiler spell.

At 14th level, the save DC increase from this feature rises to +2.

At 20th level, you automatically overcome any spell resistance a foe has when you catch him unaware with a beguiler spell.

Seems to suggest to me that only the Beguiler list works with this special ability. If someone really wants to muddy the waters on this, I guess they could interpret the symbol of "beguiler" as not the class, but a person who is a Beguiler... but that seems silly.

alaman13
2013-03-26, 03:55 PM
Awesome. Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Psyren
2013-03-26, 04:23 PM
That may have been the intent, but the book as written doesn't specify beguiler spells and neither does the errata. So it becomes a DM call as to which version to go with.