PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] DMing update

Talkan
2013-03-26, 04:00 PM
So, I just wanted to update some of you on my personal DMing experiences. I just had a group finish a campaign and another one will likely be finished by this Friday. Each is with a different group, and each of the groups would like to continue playing in those worlds, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some ideas.

The One With the Church

The first one was based on a large island, which had all the resources that are needed for survival and a psuedo-medieval civilization. There was a main religion, which worshiped a single Deity (The One True Deity). I didn't ever come up with a name for him, since he didn't exist. However, as the campaign went on, I realized that it would be a fun curveball to throw at my homicidal players to have him become this false deity he worshiped once he died. I liked this idea, and it happened. He then became the Racial Deity for Humans. I now need to come up with a name for him. The Players were a little annoyed that I had gotten around them killing him, but they enjoyed it enough to want to continue, so I have some more planning to do.

We ended the last session early, so we jumped head-first into the new one. The premise is that it is 5 years later and the resources on the island have been mostly used up. The races of the island have become more and more accepting of everyone else, except for some extreme racial prejudices. Orcs have shed their barbaric roots and have become the Shakarim (From Races of Destiny, ignoring the normal fluff) in an attempt to integrate more into the common culture. These are just the Orcs in the immediately adjacent island, there are still more of the savage ones. Goblins have been recognized by some scholars as sentient beings (before they were considered as intelligent as dumb rats), and are trying to be recognized by the government as one of the free races. 2 members of our group have to leave for a few years to do some humanitarian work and similar things in foreign countries, so they requested that their characters become NPCs that will come into play every so often. One was a Ranger who asked to multi-class into Druid (I don't use the XP penalty) and the Other was a Bard. They had an idea to build a city of Boats that would float around the world and do exploring stuff. It's about a 10-year journey (on that slow moving city) around the world, so they are close to halfway there. The new group are citizens of this new Independent City-State, and they bought an Adventuring License (which allows them to keep their citizenship when they return) and headed off to the mostly unexplored arctic area. Most of the world is still unexplored, and they are off to gain riches and power.

I would like to take this one into a "War of the Gods" direction, where some Deities think it is wrong that the One True Deity Ascended 5 years ago, and have been gaining followers who agree and also want him out of the Pantheon. It would result in an all-out war between the Races, religions, and everyone else in a potentially universe-shattering conflict that may or may not stretch among all the Planes of reality.

What do you guys think?

I also need a name for the new Deity, though, and I can't seem to come up with a good one. Any ideas?

One last thing for this one, I promise: The group right now is only 3 players (I am hunting for at least one more, though). We have a Gnome Barbarian (who dual-wields self-made shovels which I let him home-brew; it was a really fun character concept and they are more like military spades than the typical gardening tool), a Dwarf Fighter who dual-wields Dwarved Waraxes, and a Halfling Rogue who dual-wields bladed weapons (he plans on changing frequently as they get better weapons) and eventually plans on multi-classing into Spellthief. So, as you can see, we are short an Arcane and a Divine Caster and we have a LOT of dual wielding. Our Rogue is planning on putting LOTS of skill points into UMD, so I am planning on giving them lots of wands and scrolls to make up for the lack of any caster. Do you guys think I should try to find another player or just heavily encourage multi-classing? I am aware of Gestalt Classes and almost did that, but two of the players are relatively new and I don't want to give them too much too fast.

The One With the Mind Flayers

Alright, so for this one I stayed a little closer to the rules. However, I have never like the story of how the Mind Flayers came to be. I like the "THEY CAME FROM THE FUTURE!! :smalleek: :smalleek: " part, but I felt that there should be at least one material plane where they actually came into existence through a form interfered evolution. This one is also reaching it's end point, but that will not mean that the Mind Flayers are automatically totally in control of that world. They still don't possess advanced technology and will still be trying to advance as they take over. At the end they will basically be as close as they can be to their final form (the one from the future) and will begin their conquering of the worlds in that Material Plane. This was mostly just designed for my own purposes, so that I could have a world where they do take over. But now the players want to continue playing their characters. WHAT SHOULD I DO!! I REALLY need help with this one!!

Thanks in advance you guys!! :smallbiggrin: