PDA

View Full Version : Building a Mecha

Oko and Qailee
2013-03-26, 06:06 PM
Hey guys, so long story short. Me and friends are in D&D campaign that rarely meets and moves a little slow. So to compensate we made an Alternate Universe (AU) campaign, basically it's our DM's universe except the plot is diverging and we level very fast and the roleplay is decreases (a lot of us are new so we like the rapid leveling to try new mechanics and stuff, some of us also swap characters in the AU.)

Anyway so me and another guy co-DM it.

Basically our plot is as follows (it's supposed to be over the top):
1) We discovered a clock in the normal campaign made of an (as far as we know) indestructible crystal that shows that all life gets destroyed and rebuilt in a cycle, with some math we found that it occurs every 144000 years and that it's going to happen again in 10 years.

2) Going to a city to do some research, our party barbarian got arrested.

3) (Where it diverges from the main campaign) In the AU we try to break out our barbarian, only to be arrested again shortly after. A resistance group in the city saves us and explains that the city guard is corrupt.

4) We try to break into a secret to prison to free prisoners from the city guard. We find a vampire there and a book written in many languages and another apocalypse clock. We also find a bunch of keys and get a really dumb bard wight ally.

5) A civil war begins to break out in the city between the resistance and the guard. Meanwhile our cleric translates the book finding out their are 4 clocks and that every 144000 years a demon spawns a colossal living inferno that consumes the land.

6) Our rouge sticks one of the keys into the apocalypse clock, and gets sucked into it and the clock turns into a MECHA! (he can leave at any time)

The plot is basically gonna move into getting the other 4 mechas and then battling the inferno. However the guards are part of a larger organization secretly controlled by the demon to secure to clocks, they already control one.

Anyway, so I have some questions about what to do with this Mecha.

1) I want it to grow larger with each mecha connected, to the point where it's really big, but I want it to retain class features. Are there any "robotic suit" type rules in D&D? Else I was just going to make it increase the characters size by 1 category per mecha.

2) I want to encourage the players to not abuse the Mecha's powers and just take over the city currently under civil war. The essentially CE guy (the rouge) is in the Mecha right now, how can I make him be like "hey guys we should go look for the other mechas first, and not destroy whatever we want"

3) If I have to homebrew the mecha I want to give it a DR such that other mechas and a giant inferno thing can easily hit it, but that most attacks (civilian, etc) are essentially useless. What would be an appropriate DR? 50/crystal(same crystal as the mecha is made of)?

4) I also don't want the mecha to be easily defeated by spells, this campaign is very unlikely to make it past lvl 10, so I think giving it some SR will be enough. I don't want it to be immune to spells, but it would be dumb if the Maguffin of the campaign is defeated by one flamestrike, whats an appropriate SR? 20?

5) I also want to give the mecha some kind of features other than what the character has. What are some cool ideas? I though a neat idea that kind of simulates a showering of missiles from the mecha would be to allow it to cast firestorm with a low character level as a free action a few times per day, or to make it cast as a standard action a firestorm with caster level = character level.

Idk, what do you guys think of the idea(s)? The campaign is supposed to be ridiculous, borderline on a plot that makes no sense.

CIDE
2013-03-26, 11:11 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061020a

According to that article all the stuff available in D20 Future for mechs is allowed in D&D. Which is awesome unless you don't have either D20 Future or Future Tech which I believe are the only two WoTC books that cover Mechs.

Skysaber
2013-03-27, 02:52 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061020a

According to that article all the stuff available in D20 Future for mechs is allowed in D&D. Which is awesome unless you don't have either D20 Future or Future Tech which I believe are the only two WoTC books that cover Mechs.

There are about 3 or 4 third party books that list rules for creating/operating purely fantasy mecha.

Doom Striders from Oathbound: Arena are the most ridiculous of the lot. If you sit down and actually try those rules out you'll discover them to be the most absurdly expensive way to be less effective than charging into combat in your underwear ever created.

On the other end of the scale, Thaergrin Great Armor out of Quintessential Dwarf 2 manages to make a fairly small, personal scale mecha that doesn't suck, integrates fairly well with the existing rules, and won't empty the pocket books of several wealthy nations just to build one. But if you are looking for an anime feel, this doesn't have it. Just a guy in an ogre-sized suit of armor. Good for play balance, bad for capturing the giant robot feel.

The others were varying shades of meh. I forget details, but there were reasons I did not make a particular note of them. I'm sure that with enough mix and match, plucking out the good or useful bits, something could be created. But if you're going to houserule, save yourself the money and just do it yourself.

Actually (and this is with just a glance at the above link) the D20 Future mecha rules might actually be the best of the lot.

Hunter Noventa
2013-03-27, 12:45 PM
There are some terrifyingly awesome rules for making what are essentially piloted golems in pathfinder somewhere, don't know off the top of my had though.

But if you don't have access to d20 Future/mecha (which are fairly clunky to work with), just a quick houseruling on an 'empty' golem that replaces your characters' physical stats with it's own might be a good place to start.

The Viscount
2013-03-27, 01:21 PM
Consider the Warforged Titan from Eberron Campaign Setting. Huge might be larger than what you're looking for, but it's a good base to modify.

Person_Man
2013-03-27, 01:25 PM
Have you seen the Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276)?

wanderingbishop
2013-03-27, 06:45 PM
Have you seen the Magitech Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176276)?

;A;

Truly, I have seen beauty this day.