PDA

View Full Version : Help with Making a 23 lvl Cohort with a knack for Crafting

Afool
2013-03-26, 09:22 PM
So my group's started up an Epic campaign at 25th level and I have my character about finished up but I've hit a bit of a snag. My DM's allowing Leadership and Epic Leadership :smallbiggrin: so I picked both up and I'm planning on fixing up my cohort as a Magic Item Crafter to help me save some money on my equipment and help outfit my Stronghold (I picked up the Landowner feat as well), but I don't really know how to optimize a crafter.

The only limits my DM has so far placed is that Psionics and ToB are both effectively banned and that we have standard WBL for 25th level characters (2.1 million gp for those who don't have the chart memorized).

My character is based on being a tank (I got approval from my DM to use the Giant's Armor and Shield Fighter Feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910) (14th post down) and The Guardian Prestige Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248227)) so I spent most of my gold on upgrading my armor with almost every gold purchase enhancement in the MiC as well as making my armor the equivalent to +6 armor, all of which are listed listed below.

(Agility;Improved;Greater), (Aporter), (Balance;Improved;Greater), (Bane Blind (All)), (Blinking), (Blueshine), (Buoyent), (Blurring, Greater), (Called), (Daylight), (Deepdweller), (Easy Travel), (Energy Immunity), (Healing, Greater), (Heartning), (Landing), (Linked), (Magic Eating), (Masking), (Menacing), (Mindarmor), (Quickness), (Speed), (Stamina; Imprved; Greater), (Crystal of Adaptation, Greater), (Crystal of Aquatic Action, Greater), (Crystal of Glancing Blows, Greater), (Crystal of Life Keeping, Greater), (Crystal of Mind Cloaking, Greater), (Crystal of Screening, Greater),
(Iron Ward Diamond, Greater), (Restful Crystal), and (Rubicund Fury, Greater).

I also have have two shields whose only enhancement beyond anything already mentioned here is (Bashing).

I have picked out several magic items that I've purchased: I am planning on using the Magic Item Combing Rules in MiC on pg 234 to apply the +8 Con to the Belt of Magnificence at a discount. I don't know how well it will work out, but if my DM doesn't approve I'll figure something out. At this moment I cannot afford the Boots of Swiftness with my current budget, but I'm planning on asking my DM if I can use what I'd like to do with the +8 Con to get a discounted price associated with it from the Belt of Magnificence seeing as the boots grant a +6 to Dex
(Belt of Magnificence), (+8 Con), (All of the Tomes of Abilities +5), (Strongarm Bracers), [Boots of Swiftness], (Clasps of Sonic Energy Protection, Greater)

All of the Spells needed for creating all of these items as listed in their entries are:
balancing lorecall, bear's endurance, blink, blur, bull's strength, cat’s grace, cure moderate wounds, cure serious wounds, darkvision, daylight, death ward, dimension door, eagle’s splendor, endure elements, enlarge person, expeditious retreat, false life, fear, feather fall, fox’s cunning, freedom of movement, greater invisibility, haste, heroism, jump, longstrider, mage armor, neutralize poison, nondetection, owl’s wisdom, protection from chaos/good/evil/law, protection from energy, Rary’s telepathic bond, remove disease, resistance, resist energy, spell resistance, sleep, stoneskin, teleport, water breathing, and wish.

So I'd like to ask the Playground with your astonishing experience and resources to help me make the most of my cohort.

(Specifically, what class(es) and feats should I pick out for him/her if I am allowed to have so much control over her/him?)

Afool
2013-03-27, 10:32 AM
I believe the phrase is *bump*
(maybe starting this at 10:30 was a bit of a bad idea)

Gazzien
2013-03-27, 10:48 AM
Uh... crafter, so straight Artificer?

Picking up the Artificer Epic Destiny feat chain for him, maybe?

Item Familiar gets him more XP (so more crafting!)

Magical/ Legendary Artisan (reduce gp/xp costs)

That's all off the top of my head.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-03-27, 11:14 AM
Artificer is nice, but frankly, I don't like the setting specific.

When I've built epic crafters, I included wizard & archivist + mystic theurge in order to be able to imbue both divine and arcane (much like an artificer).

Concur with the crafting feats mentioned above. Also, Epic level, you can get efficient item creation, to speed up & cheapen items.

Another fun thing to look into is crafting constructs. The Mechnonomicon is floating around somewhere that will tell you the requirements for crafting. I always had a soft spot for fully advanced runic guardians.

Afool
2013-03-27, 11:18 AM
Thanks for posting :smallsmile:

Would you mind telling me what books those feats are in so I can take a look at them?

AWiz_Abroad
2013-03-27, 11:23 AM
Eberron Campaign Setting

My DM always approved the feats for non Eberron, because unlike porting an artificer to a non eberron setting, it doesn't screw up the setting fluff.

What setting are you playing in?

Afool
2013-03-27, 11:42 AM
To be honest, I don't quite know yet.

My DM has his own campaign setting that he's going to have us play in for this epic level campaign and I don't know much about it, but the only things he's ever banned are online homebrew, psionics and ToB (and maybe warlock, but with ToB and warlock, that's because he doesn't like how they don't have a limited amount of uses). I've never psionics nor ToB so that's never been a problem on my end.

The reason we're playing at 25th level is because one of the players has been dieing to play a dragon and we all felt we could use a bit of a change of pace. Our DM has always been fairly lax with what builds we come up with, as he's much more experienced than us and can handle it, and with this, he's allowing certain online things to be approved as well (such as the stuff mentioned in the OP).

Carth
2013-03-27, 11:48 AM
2 levels of chameleon means you'll basically be able to have all epic crafting feats. The floating feat doesn't have any restrictions on it, other than eeding to meet the feat's pre reqs, so you can just use it to grab whichever epic crafting feat you happen to need at the time. And because a character can only work on one magic item at a time, there's no need to have more than one epic crafting feat at a time anyway.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-03-27, 12:07 PM
Completely agree with Carth.

Chamelon would save you some feats.

Afool
2013-03-27, 12:20 PM
I took a look at the Chameleon and I can see how the free feat would be useful, but would the Aptitude Focus help with crafting at all? I'm not sure how it would work with access to spell lists.

Carth
2013-03-27, 12:23 PM
No, chameleon would only get you the floating feat that you can change every day. Artificers are the class that can just craft any magic item. Any. So an artificer20/chameleon2/whatever1 is about as good a craft monkey as you could desire from a cohort.

Afool
2013-03-27, 12:37 PM
That looks good, but now there's the question of which feats I should choose. I've tried looking for the Artificer Epic Destiny feat chain that Gazzien mentioned, but I'm drawing a blank on where to find it.

Carth
2013-03-27, 01:33 PM
WotC took the 3.5 epic destinies off their website for some reason, but you can also find them here: http://lonelygm.blogspot.com/2011/02/epic-destinies-for-d-35pathfinder.html

Afool
2013-03-27, 02:28 PM
I took a look at them (I presume that Artifact Lord is the one that is suggested) and while their interesting, I'm not sure that they're something that my DM would allow. I'll run it by him though to see if it works. I've looked through the Artificer class again and I think this will work out well (if my DM lets me custom build my Cohort). Thanks for all of the help :smallsmile:

Felandria
2013-03-27, 03:01 PM
So my group's started up an Epic campaign at 25th level and I have my character about finished up but I've hit a bit of a snag. My DM's allowing Leadership and Epic Leadership :smallbiggrin: so I picked both up and I'm planning on fixing up my cohort as a Magic Item Crafter to help me save some money on my equipment and help outfit my Stronghold (I picked up the Landowner feat as well), but I don't really know how to optimize a crafter.

The only limits my DM has so far placed is that Psionics and ToB are both effectively banned and that we have standard WBL for 25th level characters (2.1 million gp for those who don't have the chart memorized).

My character is based on being a tank (I got approval from my DM to use the Giant's Armor and Shield Fighter Feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910) (14th post down) and The Guardian Prestige Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248227)) so I spent most of my gold on upgrading my armor with almost every gold purchase enhancement in the MiC as well as making my armor the equivalent to +6 armor, all of which are listed listed below.

(Agility;Improved;Greater), (Aporter), (Balance;Improved;Greater), (Bane Blind (All)), (Blinking), (Blueshine), (Buoyent), (Blurring, Greater), (Called), (Daylight), (Deepdweller), (Easy Travel), (Energy Immunity), (Healing, Greater), (Heartning), (Landing), (Linked), (Magic Eating), (Masking), (Menacing), (Mindarmor), (Quickness), (Speed), (Stamina; Imprved; Greater), (Crystal of Adaptation, Greater), (Crystal of Aquatic Action, Greater), (Crystal of Glancing Blows, Greater), (Crystal of Life Keeping, Greater), (Crystal of Mind Cloaking, Greater), (Crystal of Screening, Greater),
(Iron Ward Diamond, Greater), (Restful Crystal), and (Rubicund Fury, Greater).

I also have have two shields whose only enhancement beyond anything already mentioned here is (Bashing).

I have picked out several magic items that I've purchased: I am planning on using the Magic Item Combing Rules in MiC on pg 234 to apply the +8 Con to the Belt of Magnificence at a discount. I don't know how well it will work out, but if my DM doesn't approve I'll figure something out. At this moment I cannot afford the Boots of Swiftness with my current budget, but I'm planning on asking my DM if I can use what I'd like to do with the +8 Con to get a discounted price associated with it from the Belt of Magnificence seeing as the boots grant a +6 to Dex
(Belt of Magnificence), (+8 Con), (All of the Tomes of Abilities +5), (Strongarm Bracers), [Boots of Swiftness], (Clasps of Sonic Energy Protection, Greater)

All of the Spells needed for creating all of these items as listed in their entries are:
balancing lorecall, bear's endurance, blink, blur, bull's strength, cat’s grace, cure moderate wounds, cure serious wounds, darkvision, daylight, death ward, dimension door, eagle’s splendor, endure elements, enlarge person, expeditious retreat, false life, fear, feather fall, fox’s cunning, freedom of movement, greater invisibility, haste, heroism, jump, longstrider, mage armor, neutralize poison, nondetection, owl’s wisdom, protection from chaos/good/evil/law, protection from energy, Rary’s telepathic bond, remove disease, resistance, resist energy, spell resistance, sleep, stoneskin, teleport, water breathing, and wish.

So I'd like to ask the Playground with your astonishing experience and resources to help me make the most of my cohort.

(Specifically, what class(es) and feats should I pick out for him/her if I am allowed to have so much control over her/him?)

As someone who is currently leveling up a character to 25th, can I in turn ask you a question?

I've filled in every available Magic Item Slot, I bought all the tomes and manuals for the +5's, and I still have over a million and a half gold left.

What should I buy?

Character is Sor 14/ Bard 1/ Godling 10.

Afool
2013-03-27, 03:24 PM
Well I suppose it depends on what you want to do with your character, but before I can make any suggestions where can I find Godling? I'm unfamiliar with the class.

Carth
2013-03-27, 03:35 PM
As someone who is currently leveling up a character to 25th, can I in turn ask you a question?

I've filled in every available Magic Item Slot, I bought all the tomes and manuals for the +5's, and I still have over a million and a half gold left.

What should I buy?

Character is Sor 14/ Bard 1/ Godling 10.

You can never have too many vests of the archimagi, amulets of second chances, or mantles of second chances. When you're done with one for the day, just put on another.

Felandria
2013-03-27, 03:36 PM
Well I suppose it depends on what you want to do with your character, but before I can make any suggestions where can I find Godling? I'm unfamiliar with the class.

It's a third party class for PF, very well made.

I'm wondering if I should pump a bunch of cash into a deluxe magic weapon.

Afool
2013-03-27, 03:47 PM
I did a quick google search and found the Eldritch Godling and that there's three other types. Which are you using?

Felandria
2013-03-27, 05:07 PM
I did a quick google search and found the Eldritch Godling and that there's three other types. Which are you using?

There's actually a regular Godling class and a prestige Godling class.

I'm taking the prestige one.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-prestige-classes/super-genius-games/godling

Afool
2013-03-27, 06:11 PM
I took a look at it and it's interesting. The only things that I can think of for you to spend money on are hiring someone else to cast permanent buffs on you, making magic items for the party, or investing in a stronghold as of the Stronghold Builder's Guild.

Felandria
2013-03-27, 06:28 PM
I took a look at it and it's interesting. The only things that I can think of for you to spend money on are hiring someone else to cast permanent buffs on you, making magic items for the party, or investing in a stronghold as of the Stronghold Builder's Guild.

Thanks.

I appreciate it.