PDA

View Full Version : Question about 'Class level'

herculesftw
2013-03-27, 12:29 AM
It's been a while so I'm wondering how this works. I'll use the nightmare spinner as a reference to my question

"At 5th level, you can create a mind-affecting fear effect that can make a living creature literally drop dead. You can target one living creature within 30 feet of you, which must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + your class level + your Cha modifier) or literally die of fright. Even if the save succeeds, the subject is panicked for 1 round. Any creature whose Hit Dice exceed twice your character level is unaffected by this power. This is a mind-affecting fear death effect. You can use this power three times per day."

your class level is what exactly? The total prestige class level, in this example being 5th level nightmare spinner so 10+5+cha mod, or your total character level?

Namfuak
2013-03-27, 12:31 AM
If it's from a prestige class, I think it is only referring to your levels in that class.

Hendel
2013-03-27, 12:33 AM
In this case it would be just the prestige class level and not the character level so it would be a 10+5+Cha Mod.

herculesftw
2013-03-27, 01:01 AM
thanks for the fast response=)

Andezzar
2013-03-27, 03:51 AM
And now to the other similar terms:

Class Level: Number of levels in one class
Character Level: Sum of all Class Levels plus Racial Hit Dice
Effective Character Level: Character Level plus Level Adjustment.

Example: Draconic Human Barbarian 2/Fighter2/Warblade 4
has 2 class levels of Barbarian, 2 class levels of Fighter and 4 class levels of Warblade.
His Character Level is 8 (2+2+2)
His Effective Character level is 9 because the draconic template has a Level Adjustment of +1