PDA

View Full Version : Good Aligned Warlock Organization

Yogibear41
2013-03-27, 12:39 AM
So I'll be starting a new character this week, a CG warlock. In the long run I plan to take the Enlightened Spirit Prestige class as soon as possible, and therby using a mix of both infernal and celestial powers to fight the baddies. A long term idea I had for this character would be to try and create an organization based on basically his principles of fighting evil with whatever powers you happen to have be they from good sources or bad. In the world I play in my DM mentioned that warlocks are basically bad people that are often times hunted down and killed just for what they are, however there can always be exceptions to the rule IMO. Basically im looking for any advice on how a person would go about creating this sort of organization without attracting unwanted attention from Lawful (stupid) Good types who would just kill me, but while also getting the word out enough to actually be able to find and recruit people similar to myself. Also any advice on what to call this organization looking for something that kinda fits the theme of dark and light together, thought about calling it the order of twilight or something but then thought again and realized I would probably get laughed out of the house by my fellow players lol.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-03-27, 12:50 AM
So... a few pieces of media comes to mind for this sort of trope.

See "Supernatural" and the on going storyline for Sam, who has infernal powers and his fight to reject/embrace his demonic powers.

Also see The Wheel of Time and the main protagonist's exploits becoming a world conqueror who uses madness tainted magic and his quest to find others like him to aid in his war against The Shadow.

Leadership is going to be useful to have mechanics to back up your decision to fight against the GM's campaign world regarding warlocks...

Perhaps your character will have to masquerade as a wizard? The peasants won't know the difference. Keep touting your "magic missile" eldritch blasts.

Deffers
2013-03-27, 12:59 AM
Maybe instead of Twilight, something about shadows? Like, The Shadow Line or The Shadow Underground? The Shadow Column? That one sounds nifty. A bit more emo, shadow is, but a bit less... er, sparkly and magic-alicorn-evoking.

And, yeah. Just pretend to be a wizard. Or flaunt the hell out of your celestial powers and ask the lawful stupid types if the angels would be on the side of a villain of the likes of which they are accusing you to be.

only1doug
2013-03-27, 03:24 AM
Yup, as the others have said a shadow order seems about right, disguising yourselves as wizards or sorcerers to explain the source of the power.
Rumours should be spread about "using the dark powers to fight for light" etc.

Games rules wise there i a big flaw with the enlightened spirit PRC, by RAW it doesn't advance your Invocation Level for warlock invocations if you continue with warlock after leaving this class.

Ask your GM if he'll allow this Homebrew Solution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255369): the following line of Text should be added to the Enlightened spirit class:

Enlightened Spirits who return to the warlock class may add their Enlightened Spirit class levels to their Warlock class levels for the purposes of determining the maximum grade of Invocation known.

Juntao112
2013-03-27, 12:28 PM
Does Enlightened Spirit advance caster level? If not, you might run into some trouble later on with Spell Resistance. Just a thought.

Another way to go about it would be to take a few levels in Cleric and go into Eldritch Disciple.

NikitaDarkstar
2013-03-27, 12:40 PM
You could also go with a "Grey" name theme, since grey is what you get if you mix darkness and light (The Grey Order, The Grey Column etc.), it's a bit more neutral in associations than both "twilight" and "shadow", well except for Dragon Age fans. :p

As for how to go about starting something like that, I'd suggest looking into various religious sects and cults, see if it'd be possible to end up getting the protection of one of the more neutral or good, and fairly respected orders. Perhaps it doesn't even have to be a permanent alliance, but if it's one that has similar goals and philosophy it would gain you both connections that would let you recruit easier, protection, possibly a bit of funding when/if needed, and it should keep at least that churches followers of your back, along with said churches other allies. Oh, and it lends you a bit more credibility for when the Lawful Stupid shows up on your doorstep.

Juntao112
2013-03-27, 12:48 PM
Basically im looking for any advice on how a person would go about creating this sort of organization without attracting unwanted attention from Lawful (stupid) Good types who would just kill me, They're going to investigate you no matter what your name is. Instead of adopting a goodie two-shoes name, aim for something with the maximum amount of coolness, awesomeness, and radicalness. Suggestions: Angels of Fury, Dark Angels, Deathwatch, Doom Patrol, Night Guard.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-03-27, 01:01 PM
They're going to investigate you no matter what your name is. Instead of adopting a goodie two-shoes name, aim for something with the maximum amount of coolness, awesomeness, and radicalness. Suggestions: Angels of Fury, Dark Angels, Deathwatch, Doom Patrol, Night Guard.

Only if the founder is named Niles Caulder.

Grey Watcher
2013-03-27, 01:09 PM
As far as name suggestions go, maybe something involving dawn/sunrise/daybreak (light emerging from darkness) or the stars and/or moon (light that shines in the midst of darkness). Or maybe something involving fire (dangerous and potentially destructive, but also gives light and warmth), in which case candles, bonfires, torches, campfires, and lanterns all suggest themselves as symbols.

Personally, I like the first of these, because dawn imagery is usually used by the knight-in-shining-armor good guy types and your organization might be a nice subversion of that expectation.

Juntao112
2013-03-27, 01:49 PM
As far as name suggestions go, maybe something involving dawn/sunrise/daybreak (light emerging from darkness) or the stars and/or moon (light that shines in the midst of darkness).

Like New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn?

Norin
2013-03-27, 02:54 PM

*shudders*

*casts glitterdust on a vampire*

nedz
2013-03-27, 03:31 PM
I spent some time looking at Enlightened Spirit recently and came to the conclusion that it was pretty awful since it stops you getting Greater Invocations. Enlightened Spirit does advance Eldritch Blast, but not regular invocations, unlike Eldritch Disciple. Enlightened Spirit is the Warlock equivalent of Samurai basically: Fixed invocation choices which are worse, and fewer, than those you would receive anyway.

Now a one level dip might be OK for the Fear immunity and Spirit Blast. Spirit Blast might be OK in a campaign with lots of undead or incorporeals, but it is very situational.

There is no reason that you cannot stick with straight Warlock, and just refluff the invocations you want.

Kane0
2013-03-27, 03:59 PM
Basically his principles of fighting evil with whatever powers you happen to have be they from good sources or bad.
That's my favourite character concept :smallsmile:

Here's my idea:
The Doomguard
(Name courtesy of the fantastic Planescape setting)

The Doomguard are a loose organisation of Warlocks (CArc), Hexblades (CWar), Shadow Hand Initiates (ToB) and other individuals with access to powers and abilities considered dangerous, suspicious and/or outright evil by more common folk and more upright champions of Good. Hellbred (FC II) are often seen amongst their ranks as well.

The only two requirements the Doomguard enforce over their members are the use of whatever powers and abilities they have to further the cause of good and to help watch over fellow members to help them through hardship of all natures (especially the moral perils their powers often bring into play)
The Doomguard have no solid leadership or overarching goal, with members forming smaller groups, often called XXX, to further common goals, since not all members share exactly the same opinion on how to further the cause of Good.

Many Doomguard express resentment or awe (sometimes both) towards those with less sinister powers, often viewing them as 'blessed' as opposed to their own 'cursed' nature. Many other groups in *campaign setting* view the Doomguard as well intentioned fools or dangerous time-bombs, but the Doomguard themselves prefer to see themselves as misunderstood and/or innocent of the realities behind their capabilities. This has caused much contention between factions in the past, though the Doomguard have striven for acceptance since their formation *XX* years ago

Requirements:
- Any non-evil
- Loyalty to fellow Doomguard
- Access to powers normally considered taboo, dangerous, etc in your campaign world.

Juntao112
2013-03-27, 04:13 PM
Random thought.

Transform Magic (Sp): Gained at 9th level, this invocation (Greater; 6th) allows you to deliver a targeted greater dispel magic with your touch. You or any ally within 30 feet of you can heal 5 points of damage for each spell level dispelled by this touch (the spell level is determined by its caster's class). For example, if you successfully dispel a wall of ice, you or an ally can heal up to 20 points of damage. You can't transform your own invocations.

Works well combined with Lesser Vigor, and grants infinite healing when paried with another warlock or dragonfire adept.

Incidentally, can you get your DM to grant Enlightened Spirit castering progression, or at least caster level progression?

Grey Watcher
2013-03-27, 05:06 PM

And I think I'm gonna be sick. I apologize for bringing it up. :smallyuk:

Tragak
2013-03-27, 06:21 PM

And I think I'm gonna be sick. I apologize for bringing it up. :smallyuk: NO!!! Like the Green Lantern!!!!!

Psyren
2013-03-27, 06:49 PM
Good warlocks tend to get their power from Fey, rather than Fiendish sources. As Enlightened Spirits tend to be aligned strongly with angelic concepts, I would imagine that Eladrin of some kind would be the most logical hybrid between the two sources.

Based on that, check BoED for names or themes that deal heavily with the CG heaven, Arborea. In particular, stars are a CG symbol/emblem per D&D, so something like The Starsouled or something with Starlight in the name would work.