PDA

View Full Version : d20 Modern - How to capture characters?

Berenger
2013-03-27, 05:11 AM
Hello Playground,

I'm a bit stuck here - what would be the mechanics (preferably step-by-step) to overwhelm and tie up another (resisting) character with nothing but bare hands and a rope? Without beating them into submission / bloody -6 HP pulp first?

Ashtagon
2013-03-27, 05:26 AM
I'd say attack A has to grapple the target into a pin, then attacker B uses the rope to hog-tie the target.

There are real-world martial arts techniques that would allow a single attacker to tie a resisting target, but there's no RAW way to do this.

ArcturusV
2013-03-27, 05:39 AM
Well, the Use Rope skill says that it takes 1 minute to bind another character. So you're talking at least 10 rounds of action to be able to hogtie (Or otherwise tie up) a resisting character. Since tying up yourself one handed is only a full round action I have to presume the 1 minute mark is for someone who doesn't want to be bound (And the circumstances listed in the skill are all against people that would try to resist you).

Berenger
2013-03-27, 05:41 AM
there's no RAW way to do this.

I guess that explains why I found no way to do this. Regardless, thanks for the answer.

In this case I'd like the change the request: I need some quick & dirty homebrew fix to enable something like this while staying halfway fair and balanced. Combat Martial Arts or Brawl giving some kind of bonus would be appropriate, I guess...

Edit: I think the Rope Use skill was omitted in d20 Modern, but I will look it up.

Jeraa
2013-03-27, 08:40 AM
The Use Rope skill doesn't exist in d20 Modern, but the rules still do (somewhat) cover it.

On page 48, tying someone up with a rope is a Dexterity check. There is no DC, its automatic. The Dexterity check sets the DC for the targets Escape Artist checks (page 60). The DC to escape is equal to the result of the Dexterity check + 20.

The rules just don't say how long it takes to tie someone up, not under what conditions it can be done.

Ravens_cry
2013-03-27, 09:35 AM
There has to be weapons that do non-lethal damage in D20 Modern. Just sap them tell they drop and lug them off.

Jeraa
2013-03-27, 10:20 AM
There has to be weapons that do non-lethal damage in D20 Modern. Just sap them tell they drop and lug them off.

There are. But Berenger wants a way to do it without beating them up.

Ravens_cry
2013-03-27, 10:26 AM
There are. But Berenger wants a way to do it without beating them up.
Does Diplomacy work? Best way to remove an enemy is to make them your friend.

Berenger
2013-03-27, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately, diplomacy won't cut it...

To elaborate: A vampire turned various PCs against another PC via Domination (Su). They need to be restrained, but the one left strongly dislikes the idea of clubbing his friends till they drop, fluff-wise.

Ravens_cry
2013-03-27, 11:45 AM
Unfortunately, diplomacy won't cut it...

To elaborate: A vampire turned various PCs against another PC via Domination (Su). They need to be restrained, but the one left strongly dislikes the idea of clubbing his friends till they drop, fluff-wise.

Hmm. . . Chloroform? DC 17 Poison, knocks them out for 1d3 hours.