PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Damage Reduction

Jesterface
2013-03-27, 10:56 AM
One thing that manages to addle my brains still is when a creature, either via template, magical effect or class ability, gains multiple types of DR. I understand the DR 5/Pudding or Spoon and DR 10/Chalk and Cheese rules, I'm just unsure how different types work together.

For example, say a barbarian with his DR 1/-- starts wearing a Shirt of Invulnerability (DR 10/Magic) or becomes a Tainted Minion (Heroes of Horror) granting DR 10/Good. How exactly does adjudicating damage work out here?

Edit: And what if two different sources provide DR 5/Magic and DR 5/Magic and Bludgeoning?

Alleran
2013-03-27, 10:59 AM
IIRC, with DR you take the best, unless it explicitly states that it stacks. I can't think of stackable DR examples off the top of my head right now, however.

Flickerdart
2013-03-27, 11:00 AM
DR never stacks. Never ever forever (unless it says "increase your DR by so and so"). Only the best applicable DR applies. So if a Tainted Minion Barbarian was hit with a sword, he would reduce that damage by 10, but if the sword was Good, he would reduce it by 1 (since his Barbarian DR is not bypassed).

Having two different DRs at the same value that have an overlap in bypass clause (like your example with 5/Magic and 5/Magic and Bludgeoning) means that the more permissive one does nothing.

andromax
2013-03-27, 11:02 AM
If it fails to overcome the highest numerical damage reduction, lower damage reductions don't apply.

Only the highest applies.

If it overcomes DR10/whatever, then the DR/5 etc gets a chance to mitigate some damage. If that is overcome, then the DR 1/-- gets a shot.

If 2 different sources provide the same effect, the effects don't stack. In that case, the DR 5/ Magic and Bludgeoning would be the effect that you would consider, unless it was lost/suppressed.

ninja'd

Callin
2013-03-27, 11:05 AM
I beg to differ. The Roll With It feat from Savage Species

You gain damage reduction 2/-. This applies in addition to ANY damage reduction you have from other sources. Damage reduction cannot reduce damage you take to less than 0.
You may take this feat multiple times.

Jesterface
2013-03-27, 11:08 AM
Ah, many thanks guys. I've always found the wording a little murky regarding it, thanks for all the clarifications guys. I knew the numerical values wouldn't stack (DR 5/Magic + DR 1/- =/= DR 6)

andromax
2013-03-27, 11:10 AM
I beg to differ. The Roll With It feat from Savage Species

You gain damage reduction 2/-. This applies in addition to ANY damage reduction you have from other sources. Damage reduction cannot reduce damage you take to less than 0.
You may take this feat multiple times.
That's a specific exemption to a general rule, regarding a specific feat. It doesn't really pertain to the question.

Callin
2013-03-27, 11:13 AM
It was aimed at the more Never Ever Forever statement. But yes i agree that its a specific trumps general. I know there are other examples too, but I cant place em right now.

Guess i should have put that last post in blue btw. I dont want it to seem like im itching for a fight.

andromax
2013-03-27, 11:18 AM
Well in fairness, he made a disclaimer to that effect already in the same sentence. :smalltongue:

Callin
2013-03-27, 11:20 AM
ahhh but in my defense he only said if it "increases" mine dont say that lol :smallbiggrin:

edit: And i debated on even posting it because Flickdart really does have super sound advice and seems like a cool person.

Person_Man
2013-03-27, 12:26 PM
It's also worth mentioning that because it generally scales very poorly does not stack by default, it is usually (though certainly not always) worth spending significant resources (class levels, feats, magic items, etc) on Damage Reduction.

There are a couple of exceptions though - Incarnate can provide DR 4/Magic at first level. It scales well, but DR/Magic is of questionable use beyond low levels. The infamous Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) template provides DR 8/adamantine and other goodies for just +1 LA. And I'm sure that there are other examples.

Shalist
2013-03-27, 05:08 PM
Regarding the nigh-uselessness of /magic DR... 'Dampen Magic' (cleric 4, Complete Champ) can effectively change it into potentially useful /+2, /+3, or /+4 DR:

This spell surrounds the subject with a mystical field that dampens the effects of magic. While it is in effect, the enhancement bonus of any magic weapon used against the subject is lowered by 1. For instance, a +4 longsword would have only a +3 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls when wielded against the subject. However, even if a weapon's enhancement bonus is reduced below +1, its masterwork bonus still applies.

...For every six caster levels above 7th that you possess, the spell reduces incoming effects by one additional point. Thus, if your caster level is 13th-18th, the reduction to the enhancement bonus of weapons and the caster levels and save DCs of spells used against the subject is 2, and if your caster level is 19th or higher, the reduction is 3.

Sure, +5 GMW would still bypass it, and I dunno what affect it'd have on natural attacks that 'count as magical weapons'...but if you've got 20/ or 30/magic DR from whatever laying around, collecting dust...*shrug*.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-03-27, 06:44 PM
The Rune of Razing denies you!