PDA

View Full Version : new cleric character.. where to go from here?

dehro
2013-03-27, 12:36 PM
I've just started playing a new character in a campaign set in the Kalamar universe.. he worships the Traveler (based pretty much on fharlanghn) and starts out as a 4th level tank-ish dwarven cleric.
I got kinda lucky with the stats (we rolled them)
them being as follows, after racial and level adjustments:

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 12
WIS 18
CHA 10
his domains are travel and luck.

it's probably not the best way I could have allocated the stats, but I'm quite happy with how he turned out as a character, and in the first session he kicked ass with great effectiveness.
for me, playing is not about minmaxing or looking for the optimum in performance terms anyway... as long as I'm satisfied that my character stands a decent chance at surviving a tavern brawl, I'm happy, so that's not why I am addressing you for.

this is my first time playing a cleric and first time playing in the Kalamar setting.. so my question is:
if you were to play a character that starts out like that.. and wanted to give his development some purpose.. where would you lead him to?
any particular mistakes I should avoid making as he levels up? any particular prestige class that is either from the setting or just a cool one to try playing sometimes in the future? should I just stick to the cleric and not multiclass him?
ideas or suggestions are more than welcome

P.S I play him in a party consisting of a gnome druid, a human ranger/thief (not sure which of the two, come to think of it) and an elven sorcerer.

Flickerdart
2013-03-27, 12:49 PM
Given your great Strength and Constitution, I assume you want to take your guy in a more front-liner direction? In that case, the Ordained Champion prestige class (CChamp) is pretty great. It requires the worship of either Hextor or Heironeous to enter, but if your DM allows you to ignore that little problem, things get better real quick.

The Prestige Paladin from Unearthed Arcana would also be great, since you get full BAB advancement and add all those cool Paladin spells to your list. Other full BAB prestige classes include Knight of the Raven (9/10 spell progression, Return to Castle Ravenloft, focuses on fighting the undead and gets a cool raven companion) and Ruby Knight Vindicator (8/10 spell progression, Tome of Battle, progresses martial maneuvers at the same time as casting, must worship Wee Jas but should be adapted for other settings).

In terms of feats, Travel Devotion and Knowledge Devotion are going to be your best friends.

dehro
2013-03-28, 02:37 AM
that's an impressive list. the ones I see closest to the character are the Ordained Champion and the Ruby Knight Vindicator.. however the latter seems to be wrong, flavour-wise.. so I guess I'll look into the Ordained Champion, sometimes in the future of the character's life.
either that or I'll keep it a simple cleric all the way to the top.

HunterOfJello
2013-03-28, 03:07 AM
Take a look at The Absolute Guide to Cleric Prestige Classes (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1344.0) and decide for yourself what would be best for your dwarf.

~~~~

My absolute favorite melee-cleric PrC is the Bone Knight from the eberron book, Five Nations. However, I don't know if that undead-based class would be appropriate for your character.

Divine Disciple from Player's Guide to Faerun will fit your character well and is likely your best choice for a non-OP PrC.

The OP choice is, of course, the Dweomerkeeper from the Complete Divine web enhancement. Most DMs ban the PrC though.

Gwendol
2013-03-28, 04:25 AM
OC is solid, but so is barbarian (fast movement for a dwarf is valuable). Crusader would likely fit the bill better even than paladin.
Hammer of Moradin is a nice choice as well.

dehro
2013-03-28, 05:19 AM
ooh.. Divine Disciple sounds like a good one too..

my character is a vagabond at heart (which reflects the nature of the god he worships) but also intensely devout and a bit of a phylosopher, despite being of the tank-ish persuasion in battle (or at least, so it has turned out in the first session.. once the other characters come into their own and stop ****ing up their dice rolls, he might take a more defensive role)..
his Allignement is NG, his character is somewhat serious, intense and focused, though not too shy to laugh and enjoy serendipity.

I'm actually looking more at the flavour of the classes than at the stats and powers side of things.. and much depends on what direction our campaign will take, which is hard to say in a setting that is new to me and after only one session.
so far, Ordained Champion and Divine Disciple seem to be the ones that are closer to how I picture the character.