PDA

View Full Version : 400+ hp as a 10th level enemy?

Seer_of_Heart
2013-03-27, 01:25 PM
What is the best way to get a 10th level enemy 400+ health. I got to 100(epic toughness 5 times with a dwk)+120(dm fiat maximized d12s)+100(18 con+6 lolth touched+6 item)+10(trait) for 330 which means I need 14 more con or another method of gaining health. Although temporary health would work I feel its not appropriate and against the spirit for this. Up to 5th level spells can be used as buffs on this opponent.

Alaris
2013-03-27, 01:32 PM
What is the best way to get a 10th level enemy 400+ health. I got to 100(epic toughness 5 times with a dwk)+120(dm fiat maximized d12s)+100(18 con+6 lolth touched+6 item)+10(trait) for 330 which means I need 14 more con or another method of gaining health. Although temporary health would work I feel its not appropriate and against the spirit for this. Up to 5th level spells can be used as buffs on this opponent.

Any particular reason you want this? I mean, as a DM, you can just fiat it for him to have a very high amount of health; maybe his race automatically gets X amount of health (like a construct). I know I've done this (one encounter involved a particularly monstrous beast with 600 health, party at 9th level).

I don't optimize hit points much, so I can't really give you any details... but I question whether one can take Epic Toughness without being at Epic Level.... it is an Epic Feat isn't it?

Andreaz
2013-03-27, 01:33 PM
I don't optimize hit points much, so I can't really give you any details... but I question whether one can take Epic Toughness without being at Epic Level.... it is an Epic Feat isn't it?

Yeah at that point you might as well just say he has those hitpoints and be done with it. The rules are not meant for the players anyway so screw hit-dice balance.

hamishspence
2013-03-27, 01:34 PM
DWK I'm guessing is Dragonwrought Kobold.

In Draconomicon it states that Dragons of Old age or older can take epic feats- the dragonwrought feat gives Kobolds the Dragon type.

Hyde
2013-03-27, 01:35 PM
Step 1: Be the DM
Step 2: Give the monster 400 hp.
Step 3:???
Step 4: Profit.

Seriously, While the monster guidelines are pretty great for beginner DMs, as a veteran DM you start to figure out that most things should be relatively fluid.

If that means a monster needs more hp to provide an adequate challenge to the PCs, but picking something at a higher CL might become a TPK, then just do so. Similarly, if a monster is just destroying the Party and they didn't really do anything to deserve it, make it suffer a heart attack (not literally)

Their decisions need to matter (if they provoke the dragon needlessly, scorch em as appropriate) But don't be afraid to fudge things to make everything run smoother.

Fyermind
2013-03-27, 01:39 PM
Don't give it a +6 item. It will screw with party balance like nobodies business.

Tell us more about this enemy.

You are looking to get 40 hp per HD. That is a lot. Perhaps there is another way to make the effect you want. Giving resistance, damage reduction, half damage from certain types of attacks, (this happened some in 3.0, but I think it was discontinued as a mechanic in 3.5) fast healing, regeneration, vampiric weaponry, crusader effects where he heals often, specific immunities, what have you.

If you strictly need 40 hp per HD, look at Paragon (maximized HP/HD + 12 HP / HD and +15 con which will on top of a d12 hit die and 18 con +2 from levels +5 from wish +6 from lolth touched, will give you 42 HP per HD. This is a massive boost in power though. Paragon is an epic template that gives +15 to all ability scores and +25 luck to hit, +20 luck to damage, a total of +27 AC if the creature doesn't have natural armor, a few spell like abilities, DR 20/epic, SR of roughly 35, fast healing 20, and +10 to all saving throws.

Carth
2013-03-27, 01:42 PM
Rather than giving it 400 HP, you could instead give it 150 HP and a very high fast healing score. This all sounds very dubious, though.

Fyermind
2013-03-27, 01:42 PM
Also, hit dice that don't do much work excellently. Consider giving it an extra five HD of dragon. If it isn't a melee monster they may never know. Your saves go up a bit, you can spread your skills out more, and now your HP/HD goal gets much easier. Even if you do have a melee combatant, pull some of your points out of strength and power attack a bit and you can get the numbers right back where they were.

Eldariel
2013-03-27, 02:06 PM
Why does a 10th level enemy need to have 10 HD? Or do they have to be class levels? 'cause many enemies in Monster Manuals whose martial and magical capabilities roughly match a level 10 PC can have twice as many HD or more.

Green Leviathan
2013-03-27, 02:15 PM
if psionics is on the table
psicrystal + vigor + share pain

that gets you a good way there.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-03-27, 03:34 PM
Why does a 10th level enemy need to have 10 HD? Or do they have to be class levels? 'cause many enemies in Monster Manuals whose martial and magical capabilities roughly match a level 10 PC can have twice as many HD or more.

They're class levels, unfortunately they're stuck as class levels because this came out of a joke with my friends about how they reacted when I loosely explained a level 20 full caster build that gets over 400 hp and so I was going to set this on them as a joke.

ericgrau
2013-03-27, 03:53 PM
if psionics is on the table
psicrystal + vigor + share pain

that gets you a good way there.

Or the same with thrallherd and a high hp vigor thrall. The range might be a problem, so you might want to get enlarged shield other (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shieldOther.htm) instead or if it's not too expensive rings of friend shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#friendShield). Plus shield other could be on a thrall with at least 3rd level cleric casting, without affecting your build.