PDA

View Full Version : Nature Themed VoP

Menzath
2013-03-27, 01:37 PM
So in a n upcomming game I will be playing a druid. Normally I am the item fiend(hence why I am playing a rogue right now) but from a story stand point Vow of Poverty would work for the druid I will be making.
With some Exceptions.

I will not be good aligned, going to be netural. I want something more nature themed and less..... exhalted.
So I was thinking of getting rid of the bonus exhalted feats and adding in a increasing fortification. was thinking of some other things but will get on that later.

Ideas are welcome.

Vaz
2013-03-27, 06:14 PM
There are like 3-4 exalted feats worth taking, and even then, only 2 I'd consider useable.

That's like saying "I want to play a fighter, but he doesn't want to be particularly good at weapons, he wants to be good at Magic, so I want to take this feat and become good at Magic, so he gets Wizard progression instead."

Just take Wildclasped items in place of the benefits the VoP gives. They're nothing special. And even then, you don't need making more powerful.

Menzath
2013-03-27, 07:56 PM
Ahh, well the point of VoP for me would be more from a story standpoint not a playability point.(I don't have a reason to optimize at this point)
Honestly I don't care much for book of exhalted deeds, this feat just happens to fit well with my druids view on nature Vs. humanoid "progress".

I just wanted the feat to be theamed to work a little better from the viewpoint of a netural naturery type.

Talya
2013-03-27, 08:16 PM
I'm playing one right now.

Fey druid (Charisma casting stat instead of wisdom, Rich Burlew's idea. Only they didn't make me take the feat.)

There are actually plenty of exalted feats for a druid...

Nymph's Kiss at 1, every time. Yay skill points and saving throws.
Animal Friend
Exalted Companion
Touch of Golden Ice (works with natural weapons, and you're wildshaping)
Exalted Wildshape
Nimbus of Light
Liira's Blessing
Sanctify Natural Attack
Stigmata
Holy Radiance
Defender of the Homeland

Vaz
2013-03-27, 08:20 PM
Then, um, roleplay it? A character might be better dropping Sword and Board for 2 Handed Power Attacking, but just because they want to stick as Sword and Board, that doesn't mean that they should necessarily get benefits for doing so.

Before BoED, people who wanted to play VoP-esque did so for no benefit. Now, at the expense of 2 feats and a forced alignment and action, you get a Druid with a free +10 to Wisdom or Constitution.

The point I'm making is that you're getting benefits like Fortification (immunity to crits as a front line fighter? Yes please) for free in place of what, 11? Feats that only 2-4 are of any (questionable) use?

Talya
2013-03-27, 08:23 PM
Then, um, roleplay it? A character might be better dropping Sword and Board for 2 Handed Power Attacking, but just because they want to stick as Sword and Board, that doesn't mean that they should necessarily get benefits for doing so.

Before BoED, people who wanted to play VoP-esque did so for no benefit. Now, at the expense of 2 feats and a forced alignment and action, you get a Druid with a free +10 to Wisdom or Constitution.

+8. But yeah.

The point I'm making is that you're getting benefits like Fortification (immunity to crits as a front line fighter? Yes please) for free in place of what, 11? Feats that only 2-4 are of any (questionable) use?

VOP is not a terrible feat for a druid. It's not optimal, but druids handle it better than most.

Palanan
2013-03-27, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Menzath
I want something more nature themed and less..... exalted.

I've used VoP for nature-oriented characters before, and recast the "exalted" requirement as a fundamental dedication to the living world. In essence, the Vow of Poverty becomes a Vow of Wild Living.

As for exalted feats, here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164659) a bit of homebrew I enjoy, most of which could be adapted to a nature-oriented VoP character with very little trouble.