PDA

View Full Version : The Starhammer Clan: Asteroid mining in D&D

Dire Panda
2013-03-27, 07:15 PM
Here's an interesting bit of physics for you: every precious metal deposit ever mined was deposited on Earth by an asteroid. Back when our planet was molten rock, the heavy metals and iron-loving elements sank to the core, leaving the outer layers depleted. Only once the crust cooled could it trap incoming asteroids' metals close enough to the surface to be mined. And there are still plenty of asteroids out there that are almost entirely composed of valuable metals...

So, thought I, if real-world billionaires are seriously considering asteroid mining, then certainly a world containing entire mining-centric races and inhumanly brilliant wizards could pull it off without the use of homebrew. Thus was born the Starhammer Clan, a wealthy dwarven family whose metal yields are envied throughout dwarfkind. Many adventurers have searched in vain for their secret mines, not suspecting that they lie not below the earth but deep into the sky.

The main difficulties for an asteroid miner to overcome are as follows:

Locating a suitable mineral-rich asteroid
Transportation of miners and ores to and from the asteroid
The vacuum of space
Lack of gravity on the asteroid

Oddly enough, locating the asteroid in the first place is the most difficult of these tasks without the use of technology - after all, scrying spells require a creature as their target. Since spyglasses exist in the PHB, we can reasonably assume that the Starhammer Clan has access to late medieval-era telescope technology. Galileo's telescope may have been barely able to see Saturn, but he didn't have the advantage of class levels or magic! The Starhammer Clan's grand astronomer is a 20th-level character with max Spot ranks, a +6 WIS modifier, Skill Focus (Spot), a masterwork item of Spot, and a +30 Spot magic item, totaling a +64 Spot modifier - quite likely enough to glimpse a nearby asteroid even through a fairly crude telescope if he repeatedly takes 20. Luckily, he also has enough ranks in Use Magic Device and Profession (miner) to investigate the asteroids; whenever he spots one, he uses one of his Greater Teleport scrolls to access it, surveys its mineral wealth, and returns with a second scroll.

Transportation is much easier for the Starhammer Clan than it would be in our world; they simply pay off a powerful sorceress to create two permanent Teleportation Circles between their well-guarded smelting plant and any new asteroid they intend to mine, allowing travel in both directions. The circle can't teleport objects, but it can teleport a creature carrying its maximum load, and so they also had the sorceress construct a greater stone golem to handle ore transport duties. Its Strength of 37 and Huge size give it a carrying capacity of 16,640 pounds. If we conservatively estimate that it can pick up that much ore from a designated point, walk through the circle, drop the ore off at another point, and walk back through the circle once every five minutes, the golem can theoretically move almost 5 million pounds of ore per day - easily more than even the most enthusiastic miners could extract. Thus, the one golem can handle multiple asteroid mining projects simultaneously assuming enough teleportation circles have been constructed.

The vacuum of space is cold and unforgiving, but a simple magic item solves any issues it might present. With a Necklace of Adaptation, any miner is perpetually surrounded by a shell of breathable air, negating pressure issues. Better yet, since the air is magically kept around the miner's body rather than allowed to diffuse outwards, it makes a remarkably effective thermal insulator. Since it can only lose heat to the vacuum through Planck radiation, the miner's body heat will almost certainly suffice to keep him warm. The necklace can be passed between workers when shifts change without the need for an attunement period.

Finally, Newton's laws become a concern in microgravity; any miner who strikes an asteroid with his pickaxe is going hurl himself into space. Luckily, magic comes to the rescue once more, this time in the form of the Spider Climb spell. Since its clinging effect can provide at least 1g of force (thus enabling walking along a ceiling), a Spider Climbing character can walk along an asteroid too small to have appreciable gravity. As it last 10 minutes per character level, a twelfth-level spellcaster was commissioned to create a self-resetting boon trap of Spider Climb near each mining site, enabling miners to work for two hours before refreshing their spell. (A break every two hours also satisfies the notorious dwarven mining unions!) Of course, should an inattentive miner let his spell duration expire, all miners are affixed to an emergency tether so they can be reeled back in.

And that, my friends, is how the dwarves won the space race.

TL;DR: Dwarves in space, all the catgirls die.

RFLS
2013-03-27, 07:39 PM
This is really fricking cool; I might swipe this for some gnomes I'd been having do much the same thing, but through handwaveium.

Nitpick: You might want to check which direction heat flow will be a problem in. The dwarf's body heat might actually be enough that it heats the air faster than the Planck radiation can disperse it, resulting in extra-crispy dwarves.

Palanan
2013-03-27, 07:42 PM
My only regret is I'm not the first one to declare that this rocks.

:smalltongue:

...Spider Climb for asteroid miners. Why, why, why didn't I think of that?

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Dire Panda
The Starhammer Clan's grand astronomer is a 20th-level character with max Spot ranks, a +6 WIS modifier, Skill Focus (Spot), a masterwork item of Spot, and a +30 Spot magic item, totaling a +64 Spot modifier - quite likely enough to glimpse a nearby asteroid even through a fairly crude telescope if he repeatedly takes 20.

Most asteroids are pretty dark, though. Even nickel-iron asteroids, which are likely what the Starhammers would focus on, tend to be relatively low-albedo bodies. Not sure if "a fairly crude telescope," presumably a low-end refractor, would have enough light-gathering power to make out the smaller bodies you're describing.

Asmodai
2013-03-27, 07:50 PM
You do realise Spelljammer has been there and done that already? :)

Derpldorf
2013-03-27, 08:07 PM
What do you do about radiation and sunlight? Without special protection your dwarves would literally burn alive.

Zero grim
2013-03-27, 08:19 PM
What do you do about radiation and sunlight? Without special protection your dwarves would literally burn alive.

I have a certain fondness for effigy creatures (Complete arcane), slightly cheaper then the necklaces (6000g for necklace, 4000g for effigy dwarf) don't need to breathe or care for any environmental effects.

On the divination front I have had a quick scan and the only base spell so far that seems to help would be commune, perhaps pray to the god of the stars?

Rob Roy
2013-03-27, 08:31 PM
So, do your realistic space dwarves declare war on the anti-science of the Spelljammer Dwarf asteroid fortresses?

Palanan
2013-03-27, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by RFLS
The dwarf's body heat might actually be enough that it heats the air faster than the Planck radiation can disperse it, resulting in extra-crispy dwarves.

Originally Posted by Derpldorf

Both really good points here. You'll need some sort of sunshield, as well as a heat exchanger.

Malroth
2013-03-27, 08:39 PM
Unfortuneately due to the brokenness of the spot rules a +64 spot modifier is barely enough to see a skyscraper 100 feet away from you. You'll need some kind of magic or a rules fix to find asteroids without some kind of magical help.

Edit:
Some things that could help.
Necklaces of Adaptation can allow the dwarves to survive the vacuum of space but cost 9000 a pop.

Find the path can reveal a straight line to any location or to the nearest location that fits a given description I'm pretty sure "metal rich asteroid" describes a place pretty well and they can name it so it qualifies as a know place once they get there.

Derpldorf
2013-03-27, 08:54 PM
Another thing your intrepid excavators need to deal with is the severe muscle and bone atrophy and the many many complications prolonged exposure to a low to no gravity environment can cause. There's a reason astronauts keep strict track of their time in space, they even have a cut off after which you never go back.

tzar1990
2013-03-27, 09:22 PM
Another thing your intrepid excavators need to deal with is the severe muscle and bone atrophy and the many many complications prolonged exposure to a low to no gravity environment can cause. There's a reason astronauts keep strict track of their time in space, they even have a cut off after which you never go back.

True, but that could be largely solved by saying they go back to their homeworld for time off and sleeping. That way, they're just spending eight hours in space per day, not 24 hours.

Also, it depends on whether boots of spider climb work by being sticky, or by ensuring that you have a constant 1g force pushing you towards whatever surface you walk on.

Krobar
2013-03-27, 09:37 PM
Yup. Spelljammer. Read up. It will provide a whole new set of adventures and campaign hooks.

nobodez
2013-03-27, 10:59 PM
Yup. Spelljammer. Read up. It will provide a whole new set of adventures and campaign hooks.

Ah, but this is better than Spelljammer.

Also, I'm totally going to steal this for my Artificer-magic based Alternate History game. Why didn't I think of Spider Climb?

Also, to those worried about the cost, consider that 8 tons of iron is worth 1600 gp, meaning that even with necklaces of adaptation and slipper of spider climbing (which will pay for themselves in a few years anyway) this is very quickly going to be a money-making operation.

Heck, it's even more useful in Pathfinder, since they have cheaper adaptation spells/effects.

Juntao112
2013-03-28, 01:08 AM
Foolish meatbags! Only the mechanically superior Warforged are the true asteroid miners.

Crustypeanut
2013-03-28, 01:56 AM
I totally need to include this in a campaign..

TuggyNE
2013-03-28, 02:08 AM
Foolish meatbags! Only the mechanically superior Warforged are the true asteroid miners.

*insert Dwarven luddite rhetoric here*