PDA

View Full Version : Monsternomicon?

gurgleflep
2013-03-27, 07:16 PM
Hello everybody :smallsmile: I stumbled across the book Monsternomicon quite on accident, and it contains some interesting things. Gatormen, an ironlich, more trolls (dire troll? I don't know if it could happen!), a couple new elves and similar stuff. I'm not exactly sure what it's for, but it works in 3.5 (or so it says)... anyway, I would like to know more about it - and any other books by Iron Kingdoms, as that's the publisher.

Madcrafter
2013-03-27, 07:52 PM
The publisher is actually Privateer Press (http://privateerpress.com/), and the setting the book is from is Iron Kingdoms. It's from their wargame: Warmachine/Hordes, which is a fairly magipunk-ish place full of giant robots beating the crap out of each other, spellcasters in magic furnace powered armour, some expy Russians, mad scientists, religious zealots and undead legions, among others.

There are a couple of other books, my GM has the Monsteronomicon and the Iron Kingdom's Player's Guide. I'm pretty certain there are one or two more. More of the meat of the setting might be found in the Warmachine books themselves though (they are about half fluff, stories, and lore). The crunch works fine with 3.5, though there are guns and stuff, as well as major differences in how magic items work. Most of the classes (from the player's book) are fairly underwhelming, and I haven't looked much through the monsters.

EDIT: Actually if you want a general idea about Immoren (the world), there are some small paragraphs about it and all of the factions under the warmachine tab on their website above.

gurgleflep
2013-03-27, 07:59 PM
The publisher is actually Privateer Press (http://privateerpress.com/), and the setting the book is from is Iron Kingdoms. It's from their wargame: Warmachine/Hordes, which is a fairly magipunk-ish place full of giant robots beating the crap out of each other, spellcasters in magic furnace powered armour, some expy Russians, mad scientists, religious zealots and undead legions, among others.

There are a couple of other books, my GM has the Monsteronomicon and the Iron Kingdom's Player's Guide. I'm pretty certain there are one or two more. More of the meat of the setting might be found in the Warmachine books themselves though (they are about half fluff, stories, and lore). The crunch works fine with 3.5, though there are guns and stuff, as well as major differences in how magic items work. Most of the classes (from the player's book) are fairly underwhelming, and I haven't looked much through the monsters.

Thank you for telling me the actual publisher and what-not.
I only know of two Monsternomicons. Is it meant to work in 3.5 though? Other than languages everything seems to fit.

Madcrafter
2013-03-27, 08:01 PM
See above, but yeah, it should work fine. I don't know if the monsters are decent or their relative power, but mechanically it should be identical to 3.5.

gurgleflep
2013-03-27, 08:04 PM
See above, but yeah, it should work fine. I don't know if the monsters are decent or their relative power, but mechanically it should be identical to 3.5.

Ah, I hadn't even noticed the link. Thank you once again!

LOTRfan
2013-03-27, 08:22 PM
Never heard of this book, but I managed to get my hands on a copy just now and I'm reading through it. I love the concept of the Dregg.

gurgleflep
2013-03-27, 08:26 PM
Never heard of this book, but I managed to get my hands on a copy just now and I'm reading through it. I love the concept of the Dregg.

Which beast is the dregg? I only really recall the iron lich, pygmy troll, dire troll, bridge troll, gatormen, and iron lich.

Ya gotta admit, having new critters is pretty fun. Some are playable, too!

kardar233
2013-03-27, 08:27 PM
Which beast is the dregg? I only really recall the iron lich, pygmy troll, dire troll, bridge troll, gatormen, and iron lich.

Ya gotta admit, having new critters is pretty fun. Some are playable, too!

If you get your hands on the second volume, the Skorne are a really cool warrior race.

LOTRfan
2013-03-27, 08:30 PM
The Dreggs are the emaciated humanoids who love pain so much that, if they lose 25% of their hit point total, they gain a +2 morale bonus to all attacks and saves. I think I found my new primary Underdark race. :smallwink:

Looks like I'll have to find the second volume, too.

EDIT: Also, Skorne are in the first Monsternomicon. I'm reading about them now.

kardar233
2013-03-27, 08:43 PM

Mine says Vol. II: The Iron Kingdoms and Beyond. Weird.

LOTRfan
2013-03-27, 08:54 PM
I'm reading through the second one now.

It seems that the Skorne were introduced in the first, and they were greatly expanded upon with the introduction of the Skorne Empire in the second. So it looks like there is no contradiction after all, sorry.

gurgleflep
2013-03-27, 08:57 PM
If you get your hands on the second volume, the Skorne are a really cool warrior race.

I've got both of them :smallsmile: I'm not overly fond of PDFs, but I'm low on moolah.

The Dreggs are the emaciated humanoids who love pain so much that, if they lose 25% of their hit point total, they gain a +2 morale bonus to all attacks and saves. I think I found my new primary Underdark race. :smallwink:

Looks like I'll have to find the second volume, too.

Are the Dreggs playable? :smallconfused:
I'm going to check them out now.

Mine says Vol. II: The Iron Kingdoms and Beyond. Weird.

Do they have any differences between the two?

Za'hynie Laya
2013-03-27, 09:12 PM
There are 2 Monsternomicons Volume One: a 3.0 version and an updated 3.5 version. Of course, Volume Two is 3.5 revised. There were rumors back in 2004 that the popularity of the Privateer Press setting nudged WOTC to select Eberron for the new 3.5 campaign setting search to compete with Privateer Press' high magic/steampunk atmosphere. This could just be hear-say.
There are other fine monster books made for 3.x out there: the 3 volumes of the Creature Collections (the 1st one predates the 3.0 MM - it was the 1st 3e hardcover printed by a third-party publisher and it was later revised for 3.5), Liber Bestarius, the 3 volumes of the Tome of Horrors (I love them all!), Penumbra's Fantasy Bestiary, Denizens of Avadnu, and Mongoose's Epic Monsters (more goodies for DMs). I could go on, but this list should get you started.

gurgleflep
2013-03-27, 09:17 PM
There are 2 Monsternomicons Volume One: a 3.0 version and an updated 3.5 version. Of course, Volume Two is 3.5 revised. There were rumors back in 2004 that the popularity of the Privateer Press setting nudged WOTC to select Eberron for the new 3.5 campaign setting search to compete with Privateer Press' high magic/steampunk atmosphere. This could just be hear-say.
There are other fine monster books made for 3.x out there: the 3 volumes of the Creature Collections (the 1st one predates the 3.0 MM - it was the 1st 3e hardcover printed by a third-party publisher and it was later revised for 3.5), Liber Bestarius, the 3 volumes of the Tome of Horrors (I love them all!), Penumbra's Fantasy Bestiary, Denizens of Avadnu, and Mongoose's Epic Monsters (more goodies for DMs). I could go on, but this list should get you started.

I've got to start looking up these books.
There's three Tomes of Horrors?! Wow, I feel like I've been locked in a chest for an extended period of time.

Thank you for the heads up, by the way. :smallsmile:

Za'hynie Laya
2013-03-27, 09:46 PM
No problem. There was so much third-party support for 3.x, I'll never be able to buy/find it all. (This is also a sad commentary of the results of WOTC's leadership role in our hobby since 2008.)