PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Archetype (ACF?) [PF]

Hyde
2013-03-27, 07:47 PM
Pretty straightforward question. A ranger wants to trade his spellcasting for an increasing .5 Str to damage for each hand (or maybe just main hand? I'm not a fan of asymmetric damage, but it might just be main hand.)

So basically 3x strength mod a swing at 13th level. No idea how this is supposed to interact with Two-handers. Thoughts?

(btw, I'm not DMing this one. the guy who is is kinda derp).

Hyde
2013-03-27, 08:09 PM
chirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirp.

avr
2013-03-27, 10:05 PM
Ranger spells probably give you more peak damage & certainly more versatility, this would give you more regular damage. I wouldn't bother with it, but it doesn't seem overpowered.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-27, 10:14 PM
If the player doesn't want to deal with spells, I'd let him have it, even if it is kinda boring. There's also the Skirmisher (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/skirmisher) archetype, which replaces spells with "hunter's tricks". Another option is to just give the Martial Study feat and let him pick up some maneuvers.

Hyde
2013-03-27, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that's basically where I'm at- It's dull, it's probably more powerful that any spell the Ranger's got (seriously their PF spell list is kind of a joke) but at the end of the day, It's the GM's girlfriend and a freakin Ranger. It's a lot better than when he though Wizards being able to spontaneously cast anything in their spellbook(s) was a good idea.

Paul H
2013-03-30, 08:38 PM
Hi

Actually, some of the Rangers Spells are far from a Joke - you just need to read what they do.

Gravity Bow, (Lvl 1), for example increases the dam dice for your bow. Lead Blades does same for melee wpn. You just need to check out the PG & Ult Magic books.

Or if he wants a ranger without spells, why not just take a fighter, or one of the archetypes?

If it's ranged attacks he's after, then Zen Archer (monk archetype in APG) is prob better than a Ranger or fighter. Loooooads extra feats & special abilities!

Thanks
Paul H
PS Lore Warden is a Ftr Archetype that has 4 skill pts/lvl, and all Know skills are class skills.

Thanks
Paul H

Hyde
2013-03-30, 11:49 PM
Hi

Actually, some of the Rangers Spells are far from a Joke - you just need to read what they do.

Gravity Bow, (Lvl 1), for example increases the dam dice for your bow. Lead Blades does same for melee wpn. You just need to check out the PG & Ult Magic books.

Or if he wants a ranger without spells, why not just take a fighter, or one of the archetypes?

If it's ranged attacks he's after, then Zen Archer (monk archetype in APG) is prob better than a Ranger or fighter. Loooooads extra feats & special abilities!

Thanks
Paul H
PS Lore Warden is a Ftr Archetype that has 4 skill pts/lvl, and all Know skills are class skills.

Thanks
Paul H

I suppose a discussion about "handed" damage and STR mods isn't explicitly melee, but no- there's no interest in ranged attacks, and increasing the size of one's damage dice is a cute trick, at best. I appreciate the effort, though- thanks.