PDA

View Full Version : "Whats your other half?" "also dragon!"

Zero grim
2013-03-27, 08:40 PM
After reading a post here a little while ago on the possibilities of half dragon anything (learning that oozes and also dragons can be half dragon) I have come to thinking of funny race combinations, and wondering if there are some stranger ones out there.

come and share your weirdest race, I will start with the Aventi dragon born, after going through the dragon born ritual they find themselves able to walk swim and fly but they lose their ability to breathe underwater, quite a curse in a string of islands you call home.

Venger
2013-03-27, 09:00 PM
oldie but goodie, ghost brute shrieker. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm)

it lacks a str, dex, con, and int.

it is completely immobile and has no method of attack. It is a cr 3 monster.

I assume this is kosher since half-dragon is also a template.

another fun one:

tauric monstrous scorpion/human. tell me from a scorpionfolk. I dare you

Zero grim
2013-03-27, 09:10 PM
Yes I did mean templates, not very many ways of merging races without them hehe.

a creature that cant move or even think, somehow my party would find a way to avoid it rather then take on such a horrifyingly dangerous risk.

Also appearing later in my setting is a half celestial kraken, mostly a dangerous beast to cross, the funny thing is that the might kraken has feathery wings, that allow it to fly at twice its land speed, an amazing 0ft per round.

Amnestic
2013-03-27, 09:14 PM
also dragons can be half dragon

I disagree. Races of the Dragon states (pg. 72):

Since the half-dragon template can apply to any living creature type other than dragons, a nearly limitless variety of possible half-dragons exist.

LOTRfan
2013-03-27, 09:18 PM
I disagree because that's stupid (ah, yes, a perfectly sound and logical counter argument, I know :smalltongue:). I should be able to make half-green dragon copper dragons and call them oxidized dragons.

Kornaki
2013-03-27, 09:19 PM
But the monster manual, where the template is defined, states

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm

"Half-dragon" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Amnestic
2013-03-27, 09:31 PM
But the monster manual, where the template is defined, states

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm

The Half Dragon template may be originally defined in MM, but it's expanded in RotD - as evidenced by the Half Dragons Beyond the Monster Manual section (pg. 69-72) which details the aspects of Half Dragons of none-core dragon types (such as gem dragons, Oriental Dragons, etc.) This expansion also includes the clarification on whether dragons can have the half-dragon template.

I should be able to make half-green dragon copper dragons and call them oxidized dragons.

Crossbreed dragons are a thing (Draconomicon confirms), but as written you can't use the half-dragon template to simulate this.

Felandria
2013-03-27, 09:37 PM
Well, Felandria is half elf, half Storm Giant.

Gnome Alone
2013-03-27, 09:39 PM
Houseruling to the rescue!

"...except dragons, obviously, because c'mon, don't be ridiculous."

Have at thee, dumb RAW loophole!

Kane0
2013-03-27, 11:08 PM
I once did a bunch of Half golem gensai NPC. The players loved em.

Also ended up making a few Mineral Warrior Gargoyles. That was a nice surprise and a good fight for the PCs.

Acanous
2013-03-27, 11:10 PM
Half-Dragon Dragon actually makes a lot of sense. Think of it like Crossbreeding. Half Gold Silver Dragon.

Hyde
2013-03-27, 11:11 PM
I feel like there was an errata or something that changed that line to any corporeal, living humanoid or monstrous humanoid.

probably mistaken, though.

Deimosian
2013-03-27, 11:54 PM
Half-Dragon Dragon actually makes a lot of sense. Think of it like Crossbreeding. Half Gold Silver Dragon.

That's an electrum dragon!

Acanous
2013-03-28, 12:14 AM
It's funny with Chromatics. Half Black Blue Dragon. XD

Larkas
2013-03-28, 02:53 AM
That ruling is bizarre. A half-anything dragon Wyvern makes a lot of sense. Besides, as has been clarified here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070401a), it is, in fact, legal, though it should be rare.

ArcturusV
2013-03-28, 03:13 AM
I only really ever had one group that heavily templated it up. But I remember running into this one in particular:

"I am Half-Troll, Half Red Dragon, Half Celestial, Half Black Dragon."

... I remember asking him how he had four halves.

To which he went on an 15 minute long discussion about how, effectively, his Grandparents included a Half-Ogre, a Half Celestial, a Red Dragon, and a Black Dragon.

I said something about 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 does not equal 1.

But he was trying to get it loopholed that because he was part Troll he had Regeneration, and because he was both a Red and a Black Dragon he was immune to Acid and Fire, so he couldn't ever die, and that just being Half Celestial should allow him to have every SLA that any Celestial would have, at will... Because, well obviously those are just a matter of having divine blood, and he has divine blood.

I remember facepalming fairly hard. Then telling him it doesn't work like that. Asking him if he was really sure he wanted to do this. To which he said he did because he was certain he'd fine some RAW passage that told him it all worked like that.

Of course I was in another group that also went really heavy on the Templates. We were starting at level 8. My human Cleric was the only character who actually had 8 hit dice. The rest of the party averaged about 2 hitdice. As we had things like the Half-Dragon, Half-Devil, Giantborn Half-Orc. I can't remember what the others had. But even the party Wizard took a bunch of Templates and only had 1 class level.

I kind of remember the players thinking I'd be the weak link because I was the only one without something like Natural Flight or some type of energy resistance, etc. If I remember right we wiped out because as strong as all the template abilities were, none of them could take a hit, the DM didn't realize the weakness and was running a more survival based game when most of the players were more combat oriented and wanted to fight. So we lasted about two sessions and I was kinda surprised we made it that far.

MrLemon
2013-03-28, 03:14 AM
Hmm....

Now I want to make a wizard (or similar) character intent on selectively breeding Brass and Bronze Dragons (on a time-accelerated demiplane of course) in order to create pure Zinc and Tin Dragons!

Then he would re-cross them with Copper Dragons, to observe the Copper/X ratio at which the Breath Weapon changes to that of Brass or Bronze Dragons respectively :smallbiggrin:

Ashtagon
2013-03-28, 03:32 AM
http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20020528.html

Someone had to post this link in this thread.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-03-28, 04:07 AM
Cue "That Damn Crab"... he's only CR 7....

Also, the Ikea Tarrasque/Emerald Legion project.

Half War Troll/Half Black Dragon. Regeneration only bypassed by Trollbane. Sure, he can die through other means, but it's effectively immunity to death via damage.

Jigokuro
2013-03-28, 06:30 AM
Make a warforged two-headed, then living (incarnate construct). Fun and weird, but also totally viable.

Pure lulz: half air elemental diamond dragon, name her Lucy.:smalltongue:

Venger
2013-03-28, 08:55 AM
Cue "That Damn Crab"... he's only CR 7....

Also, the Ikea Tarrasque/Emerald Legion project.

Half War Troll/Half Black Dragon. Regeneration only bypassed by Trollbane. Sure, he can die through other means, but it's effectively immunity to death via damage.

that damn crab (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a) is only CR 3, which is his whole problem. he's got 7hd though, which is probably what you're thinking of

well, he's still vulnerable to normal stuff (con damage, death effects, energy drain, negative levels, drowning, suffocation, etc) and has so many RHD and LA that all of his saves (even fort) are going to be in the toilet. since he's like a CR 11 monster, a plane shift to the elemental plane of earth should take care of him in relative short order.

Razanir
2013-03-28, 10:01 AM
oldie but goodie, ghost brute shrieker. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/fungus.htm)

it lacks a str, dex, con, and int.

it is completely immobile and has no method of attack. It is a cr 3 monster.

Unfortunately illegal. Ghost requires Cha 6, but shriekers only have Cha 1.

Also, I'm working on statting up my attempt at this contest.

Take the Monstrous Crab. Yes, the CR 3 creature with 7 HD. Argue using DM fiat, rule 0, and RAI to cast Awaken on it. Now that its Int is high enough, breed it with a demon to create a Half-Fiend Monstrous Crab. Finally, slay it and cast Raise Dead. By RAW, you now have a CR 4 creature with 14d12 HD.

Half-Fiend Monstrous Crab Zombie (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=542293)
NE Undead (augmented vermin), Init +3, HP 120/120, Speed 40, swim 30, fly 40
AC 24 (+3 Dex, -1 Size, +12 Natural), Touch 12, Flat-footed 21, Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +11, Base Attack Bonus 9/4
Magic Claw +17 (1d8+13, x2)
Magic Slam +17 (1d8+13, x2)
Abilities Str 28, Dex 16, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 1
Condition None

Blisstake
2013-03-28, 11:09 AM
Half-dragon plants are my favorite. Find enough of them, and you can make yourself a half-dragon salad.

mattie_p
2013-03-28, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately illegal. Ghost requires Cha 6, but shriekers only have Cha 1.

It is legal. Check Libris Mortis for the Ghost Brute template.
“Ghost brute” is an acquired template that can be added to any animal, magical beast, or plant with a Charisma score below 8 (hereafter referred to as the base creature).

nedz
2013-03-28, 11:58 AM
Dragons: Colour coded for your convenience.

PCs: "What Colour is the Dragon ?"
DM: "Metallic Green"
PCs: "WTF?"
*Half Blue/Half Gold* obviously.

DM: "Pink"
PCs: "WTF?"
*Half Red/Half White* obviously.

DM: "Purple"

The Random NPC
2013-03-28, 01:22 PM
I only really ever had one group that heavily templated it up. But I remember running into this one in particular:

"I am Half-Troll, Half Red Dragon, Half Celestial, Half Black Dragon."

... I remember asking him how he had four halves.

To which he went on an 15 minute long discussion about how, effectively, his Grandparents included a Half-Ogre, a Half Celestial, a Red Dragon, and a Black Dragon.

I said something about 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 does not equal 1.

But he was trying to get it loopholed that because he was part Troll he had Regeneration, and because he was both a Red and a Black Dragon he was immune to Acid and Fire, so he couldn't ever die, and that just being Half Celestial should allow him to have every SLA that any Celestial would have, at will... Because, well obviously those are just a matter of having divine blood, and he has divine blood.

I remember facepalming fairly hard. Then telling him it doesn't work like that. Asking him if he was really sure he wanted to do this. To which he said he did because he was certain he'd fine some RAW passage that told him it all worked like that.

Of course I was in another group that also went really heavy on the Templates. We were starting at level 8. My human Cleric was the only character who actually had 8 hit dice. The rest of the party averaged about 2 hitdice. As we had things like the Half-Dragon, Half-Devil, Giantborn Half-Orc. I can't remember what the others had. But even the party Wizard took a bunch of Templates and only had 1 class level.

I kind of remember the players thinking I'd be the weak link because I was the only one without something like Natural Flight or some type of energy resistance, etc. If I remember right we wiped out because as strong as all the template abilities were, none of them could take a hit, the DM didn't realize the weakness and was running a more survival based game when most of the players were more combat oriented and wanted to fight. So we lasted about two sessions and I was kinda surprised we made it that far.

Unfortunalty, he's right, as far as being able to be a Half-Troll, Half-Red Dragon, Half-Black Dragon, Half-Celestial is legal. The DMG says whenever you have multiple halves, you find a fraction that doesn't violate Math get all the same benifits. So he would be a Quarter-Troll, Quarter-Red Dragon, Quarter-Black Dragon, Quarter-Celestial with all the benifits of the templates.

Amnestic
2013-03-28, 02:20 PM
DM: "Purple"

There are Purple, Orange and Yellow Dragons in Dragon Compendium. The story behind them is that they're the spawn of Tiamat's long-list sister and rival, and were made shortly before Tiamat killed her sister.

hamishspence
2013-03-28, 02:25 PM
4E went with the Deep Dragon as alternatively named the Purple Dragon.

It also made Sand Dragons into Brown Dragons, and Fang Dragons into Grey Dragons.

Jigokuro
2013-03-28, 03:40 PM
There are Purple, Orange and Yellow Dragons in Dragon Compendium. The story behind them is that they're the spawn of Tiamat's long-list sister and rival, and were made shortly before Tiamat killed her sister.

There are also pink dragons, but they were a joke...

LOTRfan
2013-03-28, 03:42 PM
Those are the ones with the bubble breath, right?

Tokuhara
2013-03-28, 04:30 PM
My current party has some weird races, in comparison to my normal groups where my other DM said, "If it's not from PHB or Monster Manual, I won't allow it."

Half-Nymph Half-Elf (Technically using FR's Star Elves) Druid
Goliath Barbarian
Arctic Earth Dwarf Crusader (me)
Silverbrow Human Courtier
Half-Ogre Half-Orc (the half-orc part is pure fluff) Fighter
Ghostwise Halfling Rogue
Human Cleric

Guizonde
2013-03-28, 07:50 PM
although done purely for comedic effect, my dm actually banned me from the following half-breeds:
-half halfling
-half-ork
-half-giant
-half-squid
-half-minotaur

... all at once. his reasoning? "how the hell do you manage to break fractions by having five halves?!"

although i actually am playing in a campaign where a certain disappearing npc is (probably) a half-elf-half-human-half-water-elemental priestess/cleric (i dunno). pure speculation based on the unique description my dwarven cleric got (rolling really high on religion helps, it seems)