PDA

View Full Version : Norse Holy Warrior

Nightgaun7
2013-03-27, 09:31 PM
I'm playing in a Frostburn-themed game, and I'm interested in making some sort of cleric/paladin of the Asgardian Pantheon from "Deities and Demigods". Problem is, while I know that I want to be some form of melee "cleric", I'm not sure whether to go for beatdown, lockdown, party leader, what. So I came here for some advice.

Here's what I have to work with:
Starting at level 9
Good or at least neutral. I don't mind one alignment shift, in character, but no bouncing around.
Stats depend on the tier of class you play and are either roll or point buy
Fractional BAB
Tier 1 & 2 get 1/2 standard WBL, otherwise full standard.
No psionics or MoI
LA buyoff is available.
Bonus feat for everyone at first level.

Race: Fluff can be tweaked as appropriate:
Human/Neanderthal
Frost Dwarf
Grey Orc/Hobgoblin
Goliath
Half-Giant - Half-Giant can be slightly revised to accommodate the "no psionics"
Half-Ogre

I'm wondering how best to mix two or more of the following:
Cleric
Crusader
2-level dip into barbarian
Prestige Paladin
Ruby Knight Vindicator, refluffed and with maybe a couple of minor mechanics tweaks
Ordained Champion
Sovereign Speaker, again with a little fluff work.

Also need to figure out my feats, although some of that will be dictated by class choices.

boldfont
2013-03-27, 11:39 PM
A ninth level cleric is the most powerful thing you can make from that list in my humble view.

Beyond that it's RP choices dude.

talonhawk01
2013-03-28, 12:13 AM
Yeah, Cleric X/Prestige class that advances Cleric casting is about as good as it gets on that list for pure strength.

Cleric 2/Barbarian 2/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 1/Crusader +1/RKV +2 is definitely something I would consider playing though. I'm a huge Tome of Battle fan, and RKV is something I've wanted to play but have yet to get more than 2 levels into it. I'd probably do it as human.

Level placement for Crusader is to have access to second level maneuvers upon entry to the class, and the delay of the second level is to have IL 5 for access to a third level stance.

Flickerdart
2013-03-28, 12:26 AM
For something a little different, Champion of Gwynharwyf could be neat - a viking holy warrior should definitely be able to rage. Not nearly as strong as Cleric, of course.

Nightgaun7
2013-03-28, 12:34 AM
For something a little different, Champion of Gwynharwyf could be neat - a viking holy warrior should definitely be able to rage. Not nearly as strong as Cleric, of course.

I don't want to do that cause I'm already a chargebarian in an irl game, and while I don't mind dipping a couple of levels of bard for pounce, whirling frenzy/mountain rage, and trip, I don't want to take more than 2 levels in it.
Same reason I didn't include Runescarred Berserker.

Also someone else in this game is going the barbarous route, I think, so I don't want to steal his schtick.

Gwendol
2013-03-28, 07:23 AM
Dwarf cleric/Hammer of Moradin re-fluffed as a devout follower of Thor (hammer-time!)!

Srasy
2013-03-28, 10:48 AM
Diciple of thyrm? Or that one moose prestige class might work if you do it right

LTwerewolf
2013-03-28, 10:51 AM
Not that this has anything to do with your post, but in my game I'm running the party was just in the dwarven home city and found out their holy water is beer that is 400 proof. (yep, it's 200% alcohol.)

BowStreetRunner
2013-03-28, 11:50 AM
I always thought the Stormlord PrC from Complete Divine would make a great Norse holy warrior. It has Thor written all over it.