PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Suitable 15 point buy classes

Theorac
2013-03-27, 09:46 PM
Hi guys,

I'll be participating in a 15 point buy Pathfinder campaign soon. I could use some help with rounding up classes with are unsuitable for 15 point buy (usually MAD classes, I'm informed) and classes which still work good at 15 point buy (SAD and BAD?).

All classes/archetypes welcome, but do indicate when listing down 3rd party book classes for the benefit of others with restrictions.

No-so-good 15 point classes:
Alchemist
Bard
Druid
Inquisitor
Monk
Ninja
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue

Good 15 point classes:
Archer
Barbarian
Cleric (non Con)
Fighter
Gunslinger
Magus
Sorcerer
Summoner
Wizard

Thanks!

Acanous
2013-03-27, 11:20 PM
Summoner is the traditional 0 point buy class. Your eidolon does everything, better than a fighter. You get spell access. It's all gravy from there.

avr
2013-03-27, 11:26 PM
Almost any class which relies primarily on spellcasting is good, melee not so much. This includes the pure psionic classes as spellcasters.

Keneth
2013-03-27, 11:49 PM
Just to give a little contrast to what's gonna be a very monochrome thread: All classes work with 15 point buy (or elite array). How well they work in any given game, depends largely on the party composition and your GM, however.

Gazzien
2013-03-27, 11:56 PM
Summoner is the traditional 0 point buy class. Your eidolon does everything, better than a fighter. You get spell access. It's all gravy from there.

Synthesis-archetype (I'm afraid I can't get the spelling right).
If you're above level 7, and don't mind burning 10 evolution points (which is your full pool at level 7, unless you're a half-elf or take the feat), congratulations.
You're now immune (flat-out immune) to fire, cold, acid, electricity, and sonic (while you still have an eidolon out). Pump the Eidolon's DEX, get some anti-getting-attacked items, and you should be set to not die...

Ever.

Ravens_cry
2013-03-28, 12:13 AM
I think a melee Dex Rogue could work pretty well. You're almost as monostat as a wizard.

nobodez
2013-03-28, 12:21 AM

Yeah, I'll echo the Summoner call (and even the Synthesist, so don't expect any healing from the Cleric), though you've got to be careful not to get too close to combat (since if you go unconscious, quite likely at 1st level, both you and the Eidolon are out of the fight, lost a character that way to a couple of thugs, though this is less important for Synthesists).

navar100
2013-03-28, 03:54 PM
Human Fighter or Barbarian might work. You get 16 ST and 14 CO. Dump CH for 7 to get 13 DX and 11 IN or WI. DX becomes 14 at 4th level. As a human, decide if you want 18 ST or 16 CON. Go with 18 ST. Put your favored class bonus into hit points. Take Toughness feat as your human bonus feat. You now have the equivalent of 18 CO hit points.

Do not even think about Paladin or Monk. They need 25 Point Buy.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-28, 08:44 PM
If you take an 8 in STR, you can make a Sorcerer with 18 CHA. Get ready to pump out some save-or-dies. If you do that, I'd also recommend dropping WIS to 8 to get 12 CON.

avr
2013-03-28, 09:14 PM
I think a melee Dex Rogue could work pretty well. You're almost as monostat as a wizard.
Melee rogues need Con even more than wizards do, and if they dump Str they will get extremely frustrated sometimes.