PDA

View Full Version : Help with villian mechanics? 3.5

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-03-27, 10:55 PM
As I am a new (this will be my first game), but ambishes DM I would like help with my villian I have most or all of the villians backround, goals, and ideas planned out. What I need help with is the mechanics of the villian so he looks correct on paper.

He is a lycanthrope Druid (it works for the story, I will not argue why this is bad.)
The party is not a high optimization group.
I plan for this villian to be the foucus of the story. He is my games version of Xykon. He will die at some point, but not for a long time
The setting is a low/no magic item world. relics or artifacts exist. Both he and the party will not be relying on magic gear (I see magic gear like a crutch in most games).

If further info is needed let me know.

Kol Korran
2013-03-28, 01:49 AM
This has been quite useful to me, might be for you too (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html).

i'm quite a bad character builder, but I imagine some questions might be asked:
- What are his goals? what is he trying to achieve? what resources do you see him relying on? himself and his animal companion and that's it? a followers/ or a cult? (and if so- what type of followers?) a few loyal allies? some sort of other plot relevant power source? (a McGuffin, a portal to the elemental plain of Boo, and so on?) does he have any unusual resources? (the king's adviser is his friend, the ancient lore of a treant 3000 years old? bag of infinite slime?)

- what level do you imagine him to start at? to end at? (don't need absolute numbers, but approximate estimation).

- how do you generate ability scores? point buy? rolls? (if so- what did you get?)

-any specific tactics or tricks you like him to have? to avoid? (Xykon for example makes heavy uses of blasty and necromancy spells) does the druid like to buff himself and his animal companion and charge? blast from afar with the elements of nature? summon like there is no tomorrow, drowning the PCs in animals? (note that a druid can do all of these, or change tactics as the game progresses, but it means a different focus on feats and such)

hhhhmmmm.... I don't have any more questions in mind, this should be a start though. don't forget the article in the link! good luck! :smallsmile:

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-03-28, 07:50 AM
I have been using the villian work shop to develope his story and such and it has been the most useful guide I have ever read.
-His goal is to destroy all arcane magic in the world. He seeks revenge on mages that destroyed his whole village (a tribe of peaceful lycanthropes).
-His inner circle contains mostly other loyal lycans or inteligent creatures. the rest of his followers are beasts, "turned" lycans, or various goblin tribes.
-The ritual he will use to cut the world off from arcane magic tempoarily (which originates from the sky in my world) this will require at least one McGuffin as he searches for a better plan (or start slaughtering deffensless mages).
-Not sure on the unsual resources bit. He and his people are like the native americans when the collonist arived seeking new land. Nature is their best resource.
-He will likely start around level 10ish. the four PC are starting at level one. End?... level 20 or higher, maybe if he lives that long.
-I go by rolling but I am will ing to fudge to make it work.
-Tactics? when out of combat I imgine him like a general of a Mercnary company, willing to fight but sends others and cordinates movement.
-In combat. I don't see him summoning alot. He will likely be the one to wade in to melee and use followers as support and flanking. If cought alone he will dish damage (and try to afflict a PC with lycanthropy) before fleeing.
-I may or may not use his animal companion in combat, pobably will, as it is his best and likely only friend in the world.

These are very good questions I never though much of in a mechanical sense. thanks
Also looking for a better way to deal with curing lycanthropy for PCs or major NPCs because the belladonna is way to harsh for this campaign to be an effective cure. But I can work on that another time.

foolofsound
2013-03-28, 08:00 AM
What builds/classes do you have in the party? It'll be easier to ensure that he doesn't get killed too early (and that he doesn't trounce your PCs) if you consider what capabilities your players will have at their disposal.

Edit: Also, what sort of lycanthrope do you want? Race? Are you cool with giving him a McGuffin (or similar) that makes him ageless (for the extra mental ability scores)?

Telonius
2013-03-28, 08:12 AM
The character, as you're describing him, sounds a lot more like a Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) than a Druid. Ranger/Occult Slayer(Complete Warrior) to start, with the Mage Slayer feat line. Arcane Hunter ACF (Complete Mage) to gain Arcane Spellcasters as the favored enemy at level 1, maybe?

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-03-28, 08:55 AM
-foolofsound
I don't know (and won't know) what class the party is playing. I am taking the free time I have during this summer to finalize my world, cities, towns, NPCs, villian(s?), and to learn more about mechanics of DMing. At some point in there I will meet with the players and have a character generation day to avoid problems with characters. I just had the thought to ask before I forgot.

-Telonius
I like the idea that this villian is a druid, but I will look into that as well.

foolofsound
2013-03-28, 09:11 AM
That's fine. I'll throw up a build I came up with once I finish writing it up. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.

foolofsound
2013-03-28, 11:43 AM
A double post, but here's a rough writeup for a possible villain (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tif2jvLgnK363FEU3fk4Aq1L0wBqznNqO5BGbUwW_Sk/edit).

Aspect Druid allows the villain to focus on his lycanthropic shapeshifting instead of druidic. I chose Druidic Avenger since it feels more appropriate to the concept. Whirling Frenzy can easily be replaced with standard rage, if you prefer, though the AC bonus from the Frenzy will be helpful since he will have so little equipment. Leadership and Initiate of Nature are there to justify both his humanoid and animal/plant followers.

Lion totem barbarian, along with his lycanthropic form, allows this character to be fairly powerful in melee without losing much in the way of spellcasting. It also opens up an interesting backstory option, in which the character was once a simple tribesman who was chosen by some primal god/spirit for his quest, granting him both druidic magic and lycanthropic powers, as well as agelessness.

I recommend you houserule his Curse of Lycanthropy to infect with a random animal, unless you want the PCs running around with Dire Lion forms.

Edit: A word of warning about low magic item campaigns with spellcasters: non-spellcasting classes tend to be even weaker without magic items to back them up, and you may want to give players who want to play one the benefits (and only the benefits) of the Vow of Poverty feat for free (edit the benefits for non-good characters).

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-03-28, 03:03 PM
Thank you that is awsome. I may tweak it to my tastes but looks solid from a glance.

I would like to know what books you used to make this? I wanted to be fairly open with the players about books and homebrew as long as I know in advance.

As for magic items I agree that casters will be more powerful and may add a few combat type items for PCs to use to help balance, but need to becareful of power levels and such. The reason I wanted low magic gear is that I liked the idea of using bonded magic items (DMs guide 2).

The time is early modern civilization, think pre revolution america.

P.S. Also not sure about using a dire lion, will have to think on it.

foolofsound
2013-03-28, 03:14 PM
Thank you that is awsome. I may tweak it to my tastes but looks solid from a glance.

I would like to know what books you used to make this? I wanted to be fairly open with the players about books and homebrew as long as I know in advance.

As for magic items I agree that casters will be more powerful and may add a few combat type items for PCs to use to help balance, but need to becareful of power levels and such. The reason I wanted low magic gear is that I liked the idea of using bonded magic items (DMs guide 2).

The time is early modern civilization, think pre revolution america.

P.S. Also not sure about using a dire lion, will have to think on it.

Lion Totem Barbarian is from Complete Champion. Druidic Avenger, Whirling Frenzy, and Aspect Druid are all from Unearthed Arcana. Initiate of Nature is from Player's Guide to Faerun. Everything else is from Monster Manual, Dungeon Master's Guide, or Player's Handbook, though I suggest you take a look at the druid spells in the Spell Compendium, at least.

You could definitely use any dire animal for him. I only chose lion to fit with the Lion Totem Barbarian. You could easily rename the Lion Totem Barbarian (or just ignore the totem name), and switch him over to any dire predator pretty easily.

Edit: For some inspiration on the big bad's anti-arcane ritual, I'd check out the Alien Skies sign in Elder Evils for possible mechanics. I'd also check out Malefic Properties, particularly Anathemic Secrecy, in the same book if you want him to be a servant of a primal god/spirit.

Gazebo's Bane
2013-03-28, 06:19 PM
You were asking for an avatar drawing.

You're welcome to this effort until someone with actual talent has a go...

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5788/budcook.png

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-03-28, 06:50 PM
Gazebo's Bane that is an adorable and hilarious avitar picture. I will use it for a long time. Just to clarify for cedits sake, you did draw this?
*edit* is there a way to shift the size it is a bit big? just PM me. Any who enough off topicness

Gazebo's Bane
2013-03-28, 07:39 PM
Yes, I did :smallsmile: thanks.

Oops, try this for size:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6226/budcook120.png