PDA

View Full Version : Stormwrack

Eman Resu
2013-03-27, 11:23 PM
quick question-
whats in the Stormwrack book thats mentioned, from time to time here or other forums as worthwhile? Is it a spell, a feat or a prestige class?

eman

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-27, 11:34 PM
I hear, what was it, Hadozee mentioned as a not-terrible pc race, from what I recall.

Some of the spells are not terrible, even useful. Not quite up to the crazy standards of Frostburn and Sandstorm, though.

Some of the caster prcs are worth a look. Interesting special class features, but a bit situational (as is the problem with a fair bit of the stuff... only attractive in a campaign with a very strong aquatic/seafaring theme).

Keld Denar
2013-03-27, 11:36 PM
There are a couple of magic items. Admiral's Bicorn, off the top of my head. Plus, I think there is a standard or flag of sorts that makes everyone around you immune to stuns. Or maybe that was in the MIC...

LOTRfan
2013-03-27, 11:38 PM
It's a sourcebook, part of the environmental series.

EDIT: Whoops, should have read more carefully.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-03-27, 11:42 PM
Sea Witch makes a fun NPC PrC (too situational for PCs sadly). Stormlord is generic enough to be useful. The book is AMAZING if you have a heavy sea element.

Gnome Alone
2013-03-28, 12:03 AM
It's pretty good, really. My optimization-sense is underoptimized, but I think a lot of it is at least interesting. The Darfellan race, for one. The Ship's Mage (?) feat. The PrCs... I actually really like Scarlet Corsair, for flavor & feinting goodness.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-03-28, 01:22 AM
The things I've used from it are:

Prestige classes. Scarlet Corsairs and the casting classes can be pretty cool.
Summons and companions. There are a lot in the monsters section. Most of them suck, but they at least can provide some variety.
Sea combat rules. They're not great, but at least they exist.
Races. I like darfellans quite a bit, and a couple of my players like hadozee, so they see a fair bit of play.

But by and large, there's less stuff in stormwrack that we've used outside the target setting than frostburn or sandstorm, and I don't think I've ever heard of someone touching the feat section.

eviljav
2013-03-28, 03:19 AM
"Stormwalk" is the coolest version of teleport.
(not the most powerful, just the most awesome)

rot42
2013-03-28, 03:29 AM
The Curling Wave Strike feat improves Improved Trip.

Evard's Black Tentacles is a third level spell for the Blackwater Domain list. The Domain power and several of the other spells are pretty situational, but Archivists need not worry about such things.
Disguise Ship: if you are sleeping under your Swan Boat, this spell will change its appearance to that of a less suspicious boat.
Jaws of the Moray can see some use as a non-personal source of a bite attack, and there is probably something cool to do with the Attach ability.

Most importantly, though, you can use it to argue that Monstrous Crabs are meant to supersede That Darned Crab.

Amphetryon
2013-03-28, 06:59 AM
If you are dead set on grappler Character, Leviathan Hunter gets you Clever Wrestling while eliminating the size restrictions that otherwise make Clever Wrestling a poor trade.

Jigokuro
2013-03-28, 07:04 AM
Wasn't the material Riverine from stormwrack? That comes up in weird TO-a-bad-idea threads fairly often.

Krobar
2013-03-28, 08:49 AM
There's a lot of good stuff in Stormwrack if you're running a sea-based campaign, or even just visiting the sea on occasion.
Its one of the better books.

ShriekingDrake
2013-03-28, 09:36 AM
The Leech Swarm is flavorful, under CR'd, and a mysterious way to befuddle, surprise, and vex.