PDA

View Full Version : A suitable follower for a Barbarian Chef? (Leadership feat)

PangolinPie
2013-03-28, 01:37 AM
Yeah so this is going to be one of those weird ones...dunno if y'all remember that Barbarian Chef character I brought up some time ago. He's like a martial barbecue pit master with a fire theme and a preference for red meat (I'm a cook IRL). Well I recently took the Leadership feat and will be getting myself a follower, meant to essentially be my Sou Chef and I'm not sure what to make him.

Currently in the group we have three Gnomes (A sorcerer with a preference for electrical attacks, a druid who emphasizes wildshaping and myself; he got turned from a Dwarf into a Gnome through an odd botched reincarnation ritual.) and a Half Elf Radiant Cleric of Pelor. There's also a hollow dwarf sized suit of living armor that mimics my every movement allowing us to attack together. We're all around level 10-11.

My GM is making me pick between a Druid, Fighter, Cleric, Monk, Wizard or a Sorcerer being the only available options in the area we're currently located (no multiclassing but a PRSC is okay) as my follower and with a starting level of 9; any standard race from the PH is acceptable.

I was thinking maybe something blacksmith related so I could have him modify that animated armor into a walking refrigerator to store food (I've made A LOT of money selling rare food wares during our travels) along with ice/cold themed magic abilities or maybe a gish of some kind.

Any suggestions?

Malroth
2013-03-28, 01:59 AM
Dwarf stone blooded battle sorcorer

tiercel
2013-03-29, 05:08 AM
A 9th-level wizard has access to fabricate, giving you your very own Iron Chef (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_chef).

Feel free to introduce "theme ingredients" due to custom spell selections, as well as plenty of Knowledge skills for your Iron Chef ("if memory serves me correctly....")

Darius Kane
2013-03-29, 05:36 AM
Is your character named Toriko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHp7lse9dc)?

Arskanator
2013-03-29, 06:08 PM
http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy275/Arskanator/gordon_zpse0c3b93f.jpg

Venger
2013-03-30, 12:11 AM
if you rolled barbarian and you've got a feat free, take might makes right. add your str mod to your leadership score. it'll give you a much more powerful cohort.

Darius Kane
2013-03-30, 02:16 AM
if you rolled barbarian and you've got a feat free, take might makes right. add your str mod to your leadership score. it'll give you a much more powerful cohort.
Uh, no it won't. :smallconfused:

Venger
2013-03-30, 03:23 AM
Uh, no it won't. :smallconfused:

?

yeah it will. Since he said he's lvl 10-11, he'll have a base score of 10 or 11 modded by what I'll be conservative and say is a 0 cha mod, giving him a cohort of 7th lvl.

if he is able to add his str to his leadership score, then he'll at least be able to hit the cap and have someone at his lvl -2.

I guess it's only "much" more powerful if he has a cha penalty, but not knowing that, that might not be true.

ArcturusV
2013-03-30, 03:36 AM
Get a Fighter? Great Cleave is perfect for Prep Work, go through an entire pallet of onions/shallots in a single round.

Darius Kane
2013-03-30, 03:46 AM
?

yeah it will. Since he said he's lvl 10-11, he'll have a base score of 10 or 11 modded by what I'll be conservative and say is a 0 cha mod, giving him a cohort of 7th lvl
Except the OP said that his cohort already is 9th level. >.>

DMVerdandi
2013-03-30, 04:50 AM
Druid, all the way.

Here is what I am thinking.
Druid is a hunter. A predator in nature, and only takes predatory forms.
Druid Likes barbarian's style, barbarian likes druid's moves.

Druid follows so that he can be the Chef's game and exotic ingredient hunter. Who best to find what the world has to offer in taste than a druid?

Go toriko style on this. Every new monster is a new animal to eat and a new way to expand the palettes of the two.

icefractal
2013-03-30, 05:10 AM
Given the current party composition, I'm thinking Wizard, specializing in utility stuff. He's the perfect sous-chef because he can provide whatever obscure ingredients or tools you need for your latest feast. Also he's the one writing down the recipes when you're in a creative frenzy and don't want to slow down.

Fabricate was already mentioned as useful for this, but also consider Minor/Major Creation (try out what rare ingredients taste like before going out to obtain them), the ____ Image series of spells (ditto, and provide an instant kitchen stadium), Unseen Servant Horde (many many helpers at a moment's notice), Teleport (when the food needs to get there really fast), Heat/Cool Metal (obvious uses), and ... actually there's too many to even list. Wizards are quite useful in the kitchen. Oh, and see what item-creation feat would cover magical food (either Brew Potion or Craft Wondrous Item, I'm thinking).

Combat wise, he won't be hitting as hard as the Sorcerer, so focus on buffs (Haste would be good for this melee-heavy party), and battlefield control (stuff that's effective even if they save, in particular).

Alternate possibility - Cleric, because there's actually several domains related to food.