PDA

View Full Version : A survey to GM and players: what do you want in an adventure

dungeonlord
2013-03-28, 04:06 AM
Hi everyone

I'm a GM since a long time and i am curious to hear what players find interesting in an adventure. Is it the story? is it the fact that they can start of high level ? Moreover how do people play nowadays ? still the old fashion way or more and more taking advantage of VTT (virtual tabletop)?
Since here unfortunately it is not possible to make a poll i set it up here (http://rpggeek.com/thread/953104/a-small-survey-to-players) on RPGGeek (i hope that is not a problem).

I hope to learn something from it and that you will enjoy
cheers

Gabriele

Lorsa
2013-03-28, 04:17 AM
As I am sure the survery will tell you, it differs from player to player, so the best thing you can do is ask your actual players rather than random people in the internet (unless those actually are your players).

Krazzman
2013-03-28, 05:41 AM
As I am sure the survery will tell you, it differs from player to player, so the best thing you can do is ask your actual players rather than random people in the internet (unless those actually are your players).

This is actually a good way to see responses in what general direction you can plan.

For me it is about having fun. Meeting people/friends and spending time with them.
In the game itself... it depends. I most of the time like to have a competent character. Backstory is nearly never mentioned in the games I've been in except for a GURPS one-shot where I failed to improv when my character failed to be build the way I liked him.

I personally like to start on level 3 or 4 when it comes to dnd games. (3.5 or Pathfinder). For Other games, like Star Wars: Saga edition I think starting on level 1 is ok. But 3.5 lowlevel is just too "swingy" for my taste... although I play in a Game that just advanced to level 2 (but due to be more storyfocused/driven it was good so far).

Depending on the game the goal is different. For Shadowrun I want to be part of a competent team that experience loads of funny stuff while breaking into high security buildings and mooning the major companies.

For DnD I want the characters to work together, having minor squarrels that work out in the end (in a natural way) and maybe advancing that far that they reach a set Goal. This goal cane ither be a characterdriven one or a plotdriven one and reaching character goals in the epilogue or something similar. And an Interesting plot/having the DM seem to be really into his own plot is important for me too. Example: One DM reads from an Adventurepath book. His descriptions are understandable but I would like them be translated into German because I know my GF doesn't understand non-native speakers speaking english that well and I think this is... a bit lazy as he seems unorganized too. Might not be the case but well... the other Has a book full of notes, planned with dungeons we might see or not etc. draws battlemaps and explains it freeform.

dungeonlord
2013-03-28, 06:27 AM
well my idea was not to get info from my group but from the community. At the moment for example you see that people give more importance to the plot and the NPC than the fight. On the other hand people express the same preference for dungeon crawl (fight oriented) than investigative (story oriented). I'm curious to see how this thing will evolve.

Archmage1
2013-03-28, 06:54 AM
Well, dungeon crawl and investigation can be mixed, but the real key is good players, who actully RP. otherwise, even the best crawl becomes we go to the next room, kill it, and then do it again.
Basically, so long as you have a story, a chance for RP, and some reason to be doing things, you have a chance.

smashbro
2013-03-28, 08:05 AM
Hi everyone

I'm a GM since a long time and i am curious to hear what players find interesting in an adventure. Is it the story? is it the fact that they can start of high level ? Moreover how do people play nowadays ? still the old fashion way or more and more taking advantage of VTT (virtual tabletop)?
Since here unfortunately it is not possible to make a poll i set it up here (http://rpggeek.com/thread/953104/a-small-survey-to-players) on RPGGeek (i hope that is not a problem).

I hope to learn something from it and that you will enjoy
cheers

Gabriele

Starting at a high level, unless you're an experienced GM, could just be shooting yourself in the foot. You need to get the balance right for enemies (so player's aren't bored or hopeless) and between each other (the cleric had little to do since no one really got hit).

Personally, I prefer rp'ing as opposed to combat (surprise surprise I usually play a bard), but as long as players are able to contribute to an adventure, they will probably enjoy themselves. For example, as my bard, the only thing I contributed to combat was going first and playing my song, then reminding others that they get the bonus. Our group wasn't into social adventures, so the only time I actually got to help was when the enemy was an evil undead creature, so the cleric and I just whaled on him with our bonuses, but I was happy to be able to do something.

Basically, no matter what, the players should feel like they're making a difference in whatever is going on. My last adventure, I intended them to learn about 4 different NPCs and figure out which was the bad guy. They barely met two of them, and i kinda let them stumble on what would be the final fight. But it was their actions to what led them to whatever they did. I didn't try to shoehorn all 4 in there and force it to be the mystery I thought it would be. I didn't develop my NPCs, but they did a lot with their characters, so it was fun for them.

I prefer face to face. I was introduced to D&D as everyone sitting with each other and talking through a story for hours. So I like that approach. (Also, watch Community, they do a really good job of portraying it in the episode "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons").

But yeah, either rp or combat works, as long as players get to express themselves and aren't being railroaded into doing something they don't want.

Eldan
2013-03-28, 08:58 AM
As a DM, I find running a group of high-level people to be too much of a hassle, really. I prefer starting at 1 and then working up to perhaps around 10 or 12. As a player, I love high-level, hypocrite that I am. Gestalt, too.

I have never found an RPG where I didn't find the combat tedious. So I prefer combat-light adventures, and those that are more strategic than tactical, where good preparation can circumvent most combats. If I run any pre-written adventures, I usually start by cutting out a good 75% of the combat.

Good stories is the most improtant thing. I can write characters and improvise, but I could not write a coherent storyline if my life depended on it.

Also, I won't sign up to some RPG site I don't konw just for a survey. Sorry.

Kol Korran
2013-03-28, 11:27 AM
As a player: first and foremost i'm looking for interesting party dynamics. the best session i had involved nearly no input from the DM, but a lot of inter party stuff. secondly I'm looking for interesting choices to make, not necessarily a sand box but a feeling that what we players decide, the paths we take, matter. thirdly i'm looking for an evocative and interesting story/ plot/ situation/ problem and so on to solve. fourth i'm looking for challenges with multiple options and interesting outcomes (be they combat, investigation, discussion or more)

As a GM: players that participate in the game, take interest, and don't just wait to be led is the first most important thing. I aim to give interesting choices, locations, and NPCs (not always successfully). I seek to have a mix of challenges, and plan to have in each challenge something that appeals to at least 2 players. I aim to make an interesting problem/ main plot/ crisis to solve. I do NOT always succeed at these things, but I try.

Prince_Ornstein
2013-03-28, 01:43 PM
As a player and a DM the one thing i look for (just like most other people have mentioned) a fun time. i want to have fun, if you write a campaign as a DM and you are going through a session and your players dont seem into it, change it up make something crazy and interesting happen.
I.E. if you are trying to RP heavy and the group just is not into have a bunch of dirty pirates crash though the windows and have cannon fire ring throughout the city and throw them into a crazy battle to help save or escape the city. if the party seems to be bored during combat try some interesting RP like having the party getting framed for a murder in town or framed for Kidnapping the Princes to-be wife and they have to state their case to the king and the prince or be executed. (or you can actually have them steal the wife or commit the murder if that is your thing.) find ways to help them work together and to make everyone feel like part of the group.

no matter what your doing or how you run the campaign or how you RP your char, just make sure that everyone is having fun doing it. see what works with your party and what works with you. if it does not work change it.

scurv
2013-03-28, 04:57 PM
As a player or DM
1>Mature people. People who at the very least do not wish to detract from others enjoyment.

2>I do enjoy people knowing the system, But if they do not or it is a first time player or DM am willing to help.

3>I Detest self entitled and butthurt players who think that all roads should lead to their victory. I have no Issues tpking a group, And I play my chars in char.

4> Communication, It is a good thing DM and players should let each other know what their longterm intentions are.

As a DM, There will be bits of plot and things to do put about. If things get dull I will liven them up so do not worry to much about that. If you make it a hobby to kill plot's and in otherways be a troll, You are formally invited to spend your time not at my table.

Jay R
2013-03-28, 10:40 PM
I only made it as far as question 1. It asked which of three games I play. In fact I've never played any of them.

If my opinion is worthless to you because I play AD&D, Flashing Blades, and Champions, then the question should have an additional comment. "If other than these three, this poll is not for you."

If you want a full range of opinions, however, then you have made it impossible for many people to answer.

Need_A_Life
2013-03-28, 11:08 PM
As a player: I want to feel like I got somewhere. I want my D&D adventurer to receive/buy/take a title, build a keep, become the protector of Barely Defined Village #5, royal bodyguard or something like that.
Basically, when the character retires or dies, I want there to be reason to mention him if play continues in that world.

As a GM: I want to underline the themes of whatever story I'm trying to tell. It might be "Power Corrupts," "You can('t) fight fate," "War is Hell" or something like that.
I think FATEs campaign aspects might be the best way to involve mechanics in how I plan. I love the idea that I can write "Crossing Blades on the Blazing Zeppelin," "Heroes of Legend" or whatever as campaign aspects and have players be mechanically rewarded for engaging in the behaviour I want.

Adventures are prepared to be more about what choices players make, rather than what is going on. I don't care so much what is going on as what the PCs do in response.
If I can't hand the players my complete notes on the adventures (not that I actually do) and have the adventure be every bit as dramatic as it would otherwise, I've failed in my preparations.