PDA

View Full Version : Can D&D be used to play team sports?

Jon_Dahl
2013-03-28, 04:40 AM
You're the DM. Let's imagine that for some strange reason your players wanted to play any given team sport in your game. There would be something at stake, so it wouldn't be a trivial match and handwaving the whole thing would be very anti-climactic.

How would you handle it? What about baseball or soccer (I love to call it football, but I'll make an exception now) or american football?

I understand that Blood Bowl and other rule systems do exist, but let's talk about the possibilities within D&D.

MirddinEmris
2013-03-28, 05:08 AM
Don't know if it's any help to you, but once i've DMed a low-magic campaign and character were forced to participate in a tournament (i liked the idea of Alabaster Cup from CW and tweaked it a little). From all of challenges (one-on-one unarmed fights, tracking prize boar in a forest, perform in front of a princess, archery contests, fight vs monsters and group all-out fight) do you know which was most memorable and exiting? Racing challenge :smallbiggrin: One player even break a sweat by the end of it :) Apparently DnD have a lots of rule regarding physical challenges, even if they doesn't meant to used in this way, so yeah, you could use it to play a team sport, but for you players to enjoy this to the fullest you should make a lot's of homebrew feats and probably classes to expand the possibilities. You could even play Blood Bowl with DnD rules ))

Go!Go!Go!
2013-03-28, 06:06 AM
d20 baseball (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39392) was done a few years ago

Gettles
2013-03-28, 06:11 AM
I tried my hand a setting up a basketball game. When we played, it became apparent it sill needed a lot of work but here is what I came up with if you're interested. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167116)

Karnith
2013-03-28, 06:37 AM
While it's not an actual sport, the 1d4chan wiki has rules for Siegeball (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Siegeball), a(n incredibly violent) team sport designed with 3.5 rules.

Evard
2013-03-28, 07:30 AM
Wait is hunting down creatures of another species not a sport anymore?

In a LG society they would let loose a goblin or kobold and each noble would have a stand in for them to go hunt the creature and whoever got the kill shot got a point for their noble... Think foxhunt but with D&D.

Hmm come to think of it that may be a good way to introduce characters to each other then have something happen during the hunt... Hmmm.... (I'm starting a game soonish)

Go!Go!Go!
2013-03-28, 07:59 AM
In a LG society they would let loose a goblin or kobold and each noble would have a stand in for them to go hunt the creature and whoever got the kill shot got a point for their noble... Think foxhunt but with D&D.

nothing about that sounds lawful good at all

Musco
2013-03-28, 08:10 AM
I had a player playing a hoopac-wielding (don't have the books for spelling right now, sorry) kender, so I kinda got the idea to have a "national" sport that would get them midly interested in, and maybe eventually dragged in a match, and went with a cross-breed of soccer (OUR national sport, so they'd be involved) and lacrosse (obscure enough here that they might not get the reference, and workable with the tools I ha at my disposal). It involved ranged attacks opposed by reflex saves, it involved bull rushes, it involved tripping, tests of endurance, range increments for long plays, etc. Pretty fun. I even designed the appropriate feats for the actual players of the game throughout the world.

Evard
2013-03-28, 08:12 AM

The explination was...

Lawful: Traditional hunting event. Rules and regulation for such an event.

Good: Killing of evil beings, but giving them the chance to escape.

I believe the evil goblins, kobold. And others got a choice in doing the hunt or serving jail time (or worse depending on the crime).

These were paladins btw, also the nobles themselves were LG just the society

Telonius
2013-03-28, 08:23 AM
Well, it's possible (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/01/18) ...

American football would probably be easiest. Lots of opposed strength checks, Grapple rules, etc. I'd probably change the movement from squares to yards. Football as a thrown weapon with range dependent on the quarterback's strength, catching a pass would probably be a Dexterity check, anybody in the pass's line of effect would have a chance to intercept. Punting and field goals would be the most difficult to model, I think.

Ashtagon
2013-03-28, 08:25 AM
The explination was...

Lawful: Traditional hunting event. Rules and regulation for such an event.

Good: Killing of evil beings, but giving them the chance to escape.

I believe the evil goblins, kobold. And others got a choice in doing the hunt or serving jail time (or worse depending on the crime).

These were paladins btw, also the nobles themselves were LG just the society

In a lawful society, if a creature is found guilty of a crime, he should simply be punished, not given a chance to win his escape, especially if the winners would be the most physically and mentally capable members of the criminal class.

Good for this case depends on whether these guys are always evil or usually evil, and whether the setting's moralty holds rules against cruel and unusual punishments.

Jon_Dahl
2013-03-28, 08:29 AM
Good stuff so far. Siegeball sounds great, it even has a goalkeeper, but the rules are certainly pretty useless.

TuggyNE
2013-03-28, 07:15 PM

That's the joke.

I wish it was, really. :smallannoyed:

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-28, 10:11 PM
Siegeball sounds AMAZING.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-28, 10:30 PM
Are you kidding? D&D has the rules for the greatest game of all time in Races of Stone. Goatball!

Qc Storm
2013-03-29, 01:26 AM
While it's not an actual sport, the 1d4chan wiki has rules for Siegeball (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Siegeball), a(n incredibly violent) team sport designed with 3.5 rules.

What adaptations would be necessary for a team of 7 players?

Also what is the Tower's HP?