PDA

View Full Version : crafting question (PF)

magwaaf
2013-03-28, 10:25 AM
what level can crafters make +10 armor? where can i find rules for it? basically i wanna know when the 2 magic arms/armor guys in my group can help me finish my armor and i can't find out the rules to when

thanks

1Thunder1
2013-03-28, 10:37 AM
Caster Level for Armor and Shields: The caster level of a magic shield or magic armor with a special ability is given in the item description. For an item with only an enhancement bonus, the caster level is three times the enhancement bonus. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

But

Armor and shields can't have enhancement bonuses higher than +5. Use these lines to determine price when special abilities are added in.

So

the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

Jeraa
2013-03-28, 10:38 AM
what level can crafters make +10 armor? where can i find rules for it? basically i wanna know when the 2 magic arms/armor guys in my group can help me finish my armor and i can't find out the rules to when

thanks

+10 armor as in +10 full plate? Never. Armor can't have more then a +5 enhancement bonus. (It can be done in 3.X D&D at epic levels, but Pathfinder doesn't have epic levels.)

If you instead mean +10 as in both its enhancement bonus and special abilities, then it varies. It depends on the enhancement bonus (which requires a caster level equal to 3x the enhancement bonus), and the caster level required for the special abilities.

gartius
2013-03-28, 10:41 AM
from the srd

Creating magic armor has a special prerequisite: The creator's caster level must be at least three times the enhancement bonus of the armor. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.

so to craft +5 armour will need to be 15th lvl with a dc of 20 (5+ caster level) to craft it. for each individual property will be dependant on the caster level of the property.

however the caster level can be ignored by increasing the dc of crafting by 5. So it doesn't matter too much on the level of the character to craft it, just as long as you can make a craft dc 25.

magwaaf
2013-03-28, 10:51 AM
ok it was explained to me weirdly.

basically i want +1 soulfire (+4 enhance cost) freedomf of movement (+5 enhance cost) on my breastplate

any more help would be much appreciated.

Drackstin
2013-03-28, 11:03 AM
ok it was explained to me weirdly.

basically i want +1 soulfire (+4 enhance cost) freedomf of movement (+5 enhance cost) on my breastplate

any more help would be much appreciated.

well for that it matters how you make it, first off it needs to be +1 before you can enchant it at all, then you pick what one you want first.

if the soulfire cost +4, then the price would be of a +5 enchant - the cost for the +1.

if you go freedom next it would cost +6 enchantment - the cost of the +1.

lets say you go with the way you have it written,

to make a armor +1 is has to be master craft, and then it cost 1000gp after.
adding soulfire that you said was a +4, you look at the cost of a +5 because that would be the total, thats 25,000 gp then you subtract the 1000gp since you already paid for it.
adding the freedom thats a +5 would make your armor a +10 equivalent costing 100,000gp, subtracting the 25,000gp for your already payed for +5 so in the end it would cost 75,000gp for freedom.
a +10 enchantment always cost 100,000gp but its split up by what your adding on it, this is only for armor and shields, weapons cost 2x as much

magwaaf
2013-03-28, 11:09 AM
thank you. you wouldn't happen to know what level that can be done by? crafting rules confuse the crap outta me

Drackstin
2013-03-28, 11:25 AM
thank you. you wouldn't happen to know what level that can be done by? crafting rules confuse the crap outta me

ok from what i read, each enchantment has a CL (caster level) so enchantments that do not cost enchantment levels, they only cost gp, the CL for those are withing the enchantment description, enchantments with enchantment levels, such as your soulfire +4 enchantment cost, the CL is 3x the enchantment level, so a caster level of 12 is needed, though sometimes, these enchantments have a CL thats higher then that, you always use the highest CL in the description of the enchantment. all enchantments have a CL.

also having 2 people work on 1 item shouldn't add to the caster level. you can have 2 people work one 1 item to reduce time needed to make it or if one can craft and the other has the required spell. so the CL must still be met.

Keneth
2013-03-28, 11:40 AM
+10 armor as in +10 full plate? Never.

Well, if by never you mean august, then yes. Mythic Adventures introduces DR/Epic and mythic items (which I assume will go to +10 like epic items in 3.5).

Never say never. :smalltongue:

Jeraa
2013-03-28, 11:42 AM
Caster level required for an armor enhancement (not a special ability) is 3x the enhancement bonus.

Each special ability has a caster level equal to the minimum level needed to meet the prerequisites. Generally, most special abilities don't require a specific caster level, as long as the creators caster level is high enough to cast the required spells. (The caster level required for a special ability has nothing at all to do with its effective enhancement bonus.)

Well, if by never you mean august, then yes. Mythic Adventures introduces DR/Epic and mythic items (which I assume will go to +10 like epic items in 3.5).

Mythic Adventures didn't introduce DR/Epic to Pathfinder. DR/Epic first appeared in Pathfinder back in the first Bestiary. Solar angels have DR 15/epic and magic. Mythic Adventures just makes more use of it then the normal rules.

Mythic advancement is not the same as epic advancement. Any level character can be mythic, even 1st level characters. While the playtest booklet does include the Mythic Crafter feat, most of the mythic items included don't appear to really be any stronger then normal items.

Mythic stuff is more powerful then normal stuff, but doesn't appear to be anywhere near as powerful as epic stuff.

magwaaf
2013-03-29, 06:48 PM
thanks but now the last thing i need to know is what level can a crafter make

a +1 breastplate with 2 enchants worth +9 total

Jeraa
2013-03-29, 07:05 PM
thanks but now the last thing i need to know is what level can a crafter make

a +1 breastplate with 2 enchants worth +9 total

The total enhancement bonus doesn't matter at all. The specific enchantments it has does.

I assume its the Soulfire and Freedom of Movement properties mentioned above? I can't find those in Pathfinder, so I assume you are talking about their 3.5 D&D abilities.

Soulfire has a prerequisite of:

Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor , Death Ward .

Your caster level must be high enough to cast Death Ward, so a CL of 7th for a cleric is required (for a cleric. Druids would require CL 9th).

For the Freedom of Movement ability, I assume you mean Freedom. That requires a Freedom of Movement spell, so a caster level of 7th is also required.

Adding a +1 enhancement bonus to a suit of armor requires a caster level of 3rd. The required caster level for the armor is equal to the highest of the required caster levels of its abilities. So, a suit of +1 armor, with the Soulfire and Freedom abilities has a required caster level of 7th.

TuggyNE
2013-03-29, 07:25 PM
The total enhancement bonus doesn't matter at all. The specific enchantments it has does.

More precisely, the crafter must be able to meet the prerequisites (including, in some cases, caster level) for each individual special ability; there is no special requirement to be able to add them together, except the gold and XP costs.

Keneth
2013-03-29, 07:45 PM
Mythic Adventures didn't introduce DR/Epic to Pathfinder. DR/Epic first appeared in Pathfinder back in the first Bestiary.

True, I forgot there were a handful of monsters over the years that received DR/Epic, but the ability had no real function prior to mythic. It was just there on the odd chance someone decided to fight the Tarrasque.

Mythic advancement is not the same as epic advancement.

Point being? I never claimed otherwise.

While the playtest booklet does include the Mythic Crafter feat, most of the mythic items included don't appear to really be any stronger then normal items.

Well, there's only so much they could release in the playtest booklet. They considered releasing an updated version with a bunch of new stuff, but then decided not to. I imagine when the book is released in August, we'll also get a clear cut way of obtaining Epic weapons without loopholes, and for that purpose, the Mythic Crafter feat will likely enable you to bypass the +5/+10 limitations on standard magic weapons.

That's my prediction, but they might just provide us with more loopholes to avoid the whole "epic" part. Or maybe they just wanted monks to bypass DR/Epic. :smallbiggrin:

magwaaf
2013-03-29, 09:12 PM

I assume its the Soulfire and Freedom of Movement properties mentioned above? I can't find those in Pathfinder, so I assume you are talking about their 3.5 D&D abilities.

Soulfire has a prerequisite of:

Your caster level must be high enough to cast Death Ward, so a CL of 7th for a cleric is required (for a cleric. Druids would require CL 9th).

For the Freedom of Movement ability, I assume you mean Freedom. That requires a Freedom of Movement spell, so a caster level of 7th is also required.

Adding a +1 enhancement bonus to a suit of armor requires a caster level of 3rd. The required caster level for the armor is equal to the highest of the required caster levels of its abilities. So, a suit of +1 armor, with the Soulfire and Freedom abilities has a required caster level of 7th.

thank you very much. soulfire is from exalted deeds. freedom of movement is a +5 enhancement found on pfd20srd