PDA

View Full Version : Ninja//Rogue gestalt

Rahdjan
2013-03-28, 11:50 AM
Would a Ninja 1//Rogue 1 have both Sudden Strike and Sneak Attack? I think so since they mechanicly behave differently. If it did, could potentially make an ultimate assassin build. At lvl 20 doing 20d6 extra dmg would be pretty cool. I guess to make the build a little better I would actually go mulitclass fighter on the Ninja side at each level in which the rogue side does not get a BAB increase. Thoughts.

RFLS
2013-03-28, 12:19 PM
Ye-es....Yes, they would stack. However, if you just want a massive stack of d6s, here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156350) a handy way to do it without gestalt, freeing up your other side for a different class. I highly recommend only dipping fighter, unless you feel like you need an absolute crapton of feats for something.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-03-28, 12:37 PM
Ninja and rogue do pretty much the same thing on the same chassis. If you play your cards right, you might get to throw some big handfuls of dice, but the build would be far less versatile and more frail than most gestalts.

You could do almost as much SA damage before gestalting with Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5, using practiced spellcaster and the hunter's eye spell from PHB2. If you threw something like Warblade onto that with gestalt, you'd have a very robust build (Wizard casting + Iron Heart and Diamond Mind counters + Iron Heart surge) with high sneak attack and a nearly perfect chassis.

Rahdjan
2013-03-28, 02:15 PM
This was more of a would it work scenario vs something I'd actually do. Unfortunately my group doesn't play DnD right now so all I get is my little thought experiments.

Daftendirekt
2013-03-28, 03:25 PM
Ye-es....Yes, they would stack. However, if you just want a massive stack of d6s, here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156350) a handy way to do it without gestalt, freeing up your other side for a different class. I highly recommend only dipping fighter, unless you feel like you need an absolute crapton of feats for something.

Alternately, fill one side with a Swift Ambusher (check my sig), getting ass-tons of precision damage from both sneak attack and skirmish. Then fill your other gestalt side with something else. Like a full caster, or something with full BAB.

Greenish
2013-03-28, 03:33 PM
I guess to make the build a little better I would actually go mulitclass fighter on the Ninja side at each level in which the rogue side does not get a BAB increase.I'm pretty sure the gestalt rules assume fractional BAB and saves (which UA gives in the sidebar clipped to the gestalt rules section). Otherwise you could do fighter 1/rogue 19//ninja 20 (or fighter 1/wizard 19/sorcerer 20!) and end up with 20 BAB.

Anyway, I agree with other people, Ninja and Rogue have way too much overlap to be really effective in gestalt.

Garagos
2013-03-28, 03:57 PM
Maybe try Rogue/Warlock gestalt. If you wanna stay in melee to do the SA damage then make sure to take Eldritch Glaive.

Rahdjan
2013-03-28, 04:10 PM
Wasn't really looking to play it, was just a thought. Thanks for all the responses though

Fouredged Sword
2013-03-28, 06:34 PM
Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 5 // Invisible Fist Monk 3 / swashbuckler 17

+19 Bab, Wizard spellcasting, Temp invis when needed with no per day limit, int to damage, wis to AC (or int with kung-fu genius).

Alternately

Sneak attack Fighter 3 / Ranger 17 // Scout 3 / Rogue 17. Full BaB, get swift ambusher and swift tracker. Full BAB and better than rogue SA. You get ranger spells even for snipers shot. Skirmish can be made to work on crit immune foes.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-03-28, 06:52 PM
Unseen Seer is clearly a rogue/wizard multiclass prestige class, it would not be allowed in gestalt any more than Arcane Trickster would be allowed (hint: it wouldn't be).

Daftendirekt
2013-03-28, 06:57 PM
Unseen Seer is clearly a rogue/wizard multiclass prestige class, it would not be allowed in gestalt any more than Arcane Trickster would be allowed (hint: it wouldn't be).

Why wouldn't it be allowed? It's all on one side. I can understand if maybe the rogue levels were on one side and the wizard levels on the other, but it looks perfectly legal as is.

JaronK
2013-03-28, 07:05 PM
Technically you're not supposed to use dual PrCs in gestalt at all... there's no "sides" involved.

JaronK

RFLS
2013-03-28, 09:21 PM
Technically you're not supposed to use dual PrCs in gestalt at all... there's no "sides" involved.

JaronK

Ehh...ambiguous wording in a variant rule. It's not unreasonable, and I'd allow it.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-03-28, 09:46 PM
Even if Unseen Seer is off the table, there are plenty of other, stronger, builds that would work off the same methods. Archivist, Artificer, Mystic or Prestige Ranger, Chameleon, Wyrm Wizard, Recaster and so forth can all get full CL hunter's eye and usually with more versatility than 2 gestalted skillmonkeys, lots of dips can make SA dice spike and it can all usually be pieced together into a stronger chassis.

ericgrau
2013-03-28, 09:56 PM
Ya as-is there are too many things that don't stack. But at least something stacks, and very well. A lot of gestalts do 2 different things and in the end even a double caster is just a theurge. Which is versatile but you can only do one thing in a turn. It's only a little better than a non-gestalt. The better ones do offense // defense or similarly active-abilities // passive-abilities or get at least something to stack twice on offense like the OP. I think it could at least keep up with most gestalts that get played, if not exceed some.

And ya prestiging and carefully planned builds make everything better.