PDA

View Full Version : Descent into hell, East path IC

Bladehunter217
2013-03-28, 03:04 PM
Fifteen people entered this temple, all with varying reasons. There were two adolescent boys who came as a dare, believing the place to be haunted. One old man never said why he came, but according to the boys he came often. The rest didn't survive long enough to tell. The entry way to the temple was almost a hundred yards long slanted to the point you have to be careful walking, stretching until the sunlight at the other end was a mere glimpse.

The alter at the center of the back wall is covered in blood, some of it looks fresh, while the rest looks as though it has been there for years. Dust lines everything, a little thicker on the tops of shelves and the alter and heaviest on the floor. Less than moments after the last person entered the room, the walls shook and the ceiling above the entry way broke, dropping tons of rock, covering the entire path. In some areas, the floor gives way, six of the group falling into the darkness and rock replaces the section of floor from the ceiling.

The tree of you all fell from the room above, sliding down slope after slope until you reached a flat surface. "Is everybody alright?" called a voice in the dark, the amount of gruffness makes it sound like an old man.

chrisrawr
2013-03-29, 12:21 AM
"DEFINE ALRIGHT Y'COOT! SOMEONE LIGHT A MATCH!" A high-pitched voice grates against your ears, gravely and strained - and fast, like to much coffee in a short time. Skid had shanked himself with his favourite stim the moment things went awry - it popped him up a little, gave him an edge. Didn't help him dodge the floor giving way.

"That weren't spose-a happen, nonononono! It was safe last week I swear! And there's loot here aplenty, I can taste it in the air!" he smacks his tongue a few times, and you hear it grating, like sandpaper, along some surface. "Gold, silver... some mithral - Ohwaitthat'sme!"

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-29, 06:54 AM
"Is everyone alright? Light."

With that, the tip of his Greatsword bursts into light, illuminating the hallway like a torch. Razil reaches down with a gloved hand to help the old man up. "Well, there's no way to go but forward."

Using Arcane Armor training to reduce spell failure (swift action), and rolling for spell failure chance. If it's below 5%, my spell derps out.
[roll0]

Bladehunter217
2013-03-29, 07:24 AM
"Well enough to complain you runt." The old man shouts at Skid, accepting the help. The old man is the only survivor in this room other than you three. The room is longer than the shadows from the light spell and only about 15 feet across. The walls are bare except for claw marks almost an inch deep that run in spiderwebs all across the room.

chrisrawr
2013-03-29, 03:27 PM
"Yeahthat'sgood!" Skid quickly checks the walls, skittering from one side of the hall to the other. "Keep the light on the walls! Keepkeepkeepgogogo!" The last thing he wanted was for the walls to collapse under the rubble.

Aldurin
2013-03-29, 04:54 PM
Erol ignores the rest of the group, turning invisible when they're not looking and proceeding into the darkness, using his darkvision and tremorsense to remain aware of anyone nearby.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Move Silently: [roll2]

Bladehunter217
2013-03-29, 06:04 PM
The room continues for about a hundred feet and ends in a large doorway. The wood is splintered and broken near the hinges as though something broke through. The same claw marks from the walls appear on the door, focused around the handle and hinges, some points gouging a fair amount from the door. The door itself was placed back in its position roughly, shoved against the wall to stay up, but appears to be barely held in position.

Aldurin
2013-03-29, 06:19 PM
Erol knocks the door aside with his hammer and looks inside the doorway.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-29, 07:35 PM
Razil turns in the direction of the crashing door and flourishes his blade. Not seeing Erol, he shouts "Who goes there?" He also readies an action to charge at something that emerges from the door.

chrisrawr
2013-03-29, 07:35 PM
"WHATWASTHAT?" Skid is startled from his wall-inspection by a heavy thudding, from the darkness unlit. "OHGODDON'TEATME! TAKETHEMFIRST!"

Bladehunter217
2013-03-29, 07:36 PM
The door falls to the ground with little force, revealing the next room. It is a large circle, about 50ft in diameter, eight iron figures line the walls. Each is about seven feet tall and roughly humanoid. Their heads are an odd shape, as though they've been beaten into shape by an amatuer smith. There are eye-holes cut into it, but nothing to fill them. On each arm are three long claws, begining at the elbow and creating a kind of pincer. The legs are shaped like that of a horse and much longer than necessary. Whatever these things are, they make no movement and Erol's tremorsense reveals no movement inside of them or anywhere in the room.

With the sound of Erol knocking down the door, the old man speaks. "What was that, are where did the other one go."

Aldurin
2013-03-29, 08:31 PM
Erol remains invisible as he inspects the metal figures. After a moment he decides he might as well look inside of them just in case they contain something important, so he takes the hooked end of his hammer and swings it at the figure to the left of the door he just entered.

[roll0] Attack roll if necessary
[roll1] Damage

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-29, 09:25 PM
Hearing a second, louder crash, Razil comments, "I guess that answers your question. Let's see what he's up to." and begins to walk forward confidently. "Bear's Endurance." He holds his glowing sword out in front of him, using its to see in the dark hallway.

Casting Bear's Endurance for +4 CON and +20 HP.

chrisrawr
2013-03-29, 10:11 PM
"nononononono I've seen better humanoids than us die terrible, grisly, screaming deaths this way - weshouldjustwaithereforrescue."

Skid nervously hangs as far back as he can, but keeps up when the light moves forward.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-29, 10:32 PM
"And what if that last companion of ours is about to die one of those 'terrible grisly screaming deaths' you mentioned? We're part of a team- we need to stick together and defend each other. If that was you up there, you'd want us to come after you. No one dies alone in my party. Come on." Razil takes another step forward.

I use Perform (Oratory) (Very Short Oratory) to Inspire Courage in Skid. And I guess the old man too.

Bladehunter217
2013-03-30, 07:31 AM
Erol's hammer places a dent in the chest piece of the figure. Thing is, Erol swung his hammer hard, but it didn't seem to leave as large of a dent as he had expected. After a few short seconds, the figures begin to stir. They move slow, the joints complaining at each step as they move towards Erol. The one Erol hit raises one of its claws and slowly swings at Erol, an attack he easily dodges.

As Razil and Skid get closer, the begin to see the damaged door, lying half on the ground and half against the wall. There are eight figures just out of their sight.
"You hear that, it sounds like iron scraping against stone."
Yes, I am aware of the invisibility. By out of sight, they are in shadowy illumination and you because of their color, they are difficult to see.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-30, 09:36 AM
"Whatever it was, it can't be good. Let's go. At the very least, I'm going to need your help. We won't make it through this without everyone working together." Razil runs forward, stopping at the door. Upon seeing some shadowy figures walking towards Erol (who he doesn't see), he addresses them. "Now what are you? Dancing Lights."

Free action: continue to Inspire Courage.
Swift action: Arcane Armor training, to reduce ASF to 5%.
Move action: Run up to the door.
Standard action: Cast Dancing Lights so I can see the whole room, and also so Skid can see the brighter light where I am in contrast to the darkness of the hallway where he is. Spell failure roll: [roll0]

Bladehunter217
2013-03-30, 10:41 AM
Razil sees what Erol sees, eight figures all converging on one point.

Use the description that I gave to Erol a little bit ago, also initiative is as follows.

Erol
Skid
Weird Figures
Razil
Old Man

Aldurin
2013-03-30, 12:36 PM
Erol backs up to the door, casting a spell that creates a circular area of darkness that sprouts long black tentacles.

Move to the doorway and cast Black Tentacles directly in front of him so that it's between him and the constructs. The tentacles auto-grapple everything in a 20 ft radius for 11 rounds, with a grapple check modifier of 19. 1d6+4 bludgeoning damage on a successful check, and halving the movement speed of anyone going through there.

Bladehunter217
2013-03-30, 12:55 PM
Three of the creatures manage to break the tentacles off themselves while the other five are wrapped up tight.

chrisrawr
2013-03-30, 02:30 PM
"Bwahhhh!" Skid's impression of Hank Hill is marvelous, as a figure skids into view, and sounds of a fight begin drifting from the hallway. "Runawayrunaway Itoldyou! This temple was supposed to be clean! Cleaaaan!"

Bladehunter217
2013-03-30, 03:59 PM
The three that managed to break free of the tentacles moved towards Erol. One managed to escape the tentacles and get close enough to attack while the other two still follow behind. The first one gets close enough to slash Erol up his left arm dealing 13 damage.

Fist one makes a charge action, its claw connects,

chrisrawr
2013-03-30, 06:54 PM
"WHYALWAYSME?" Skid begins to run away, only to be tackled back toward the fight by his trusty hound, Fang - who was not quite amused at having been left buried in the rubble.

Skid takes hold of fang's fur and holds for dear life, a keening wail building into a war cry - when Fang gets like this, one rolls with it or one gets rolled.

He hops off, drawing daggers from his belt, as Fang continues past, dodging between enemies to attack from behind. Waiting for the wolf's glinting eyes to signal an opening, Skid charges - as does Fang, catching the construct who'd been bold enough to attack in the moment it'd left itself unguarded.

Move action to grab hold of Fang, ready action to Charge when Fang gives signal. Fang move action to behind enemies, free action for me to let go 10 feet out (autopass balance check, ride check DC 10: [roll0]), Fang tumble to avoid AoO's [roll1] Fang charges from behind.

Fang's Trip Touch Attack: (Charge, Flanking) [roll2]
Opposed Trip Roll: [roll3]
Attack roll if possible: [roll4]
damage [roll5] piercing damage

Skid's attacks (Favored Enemy, Charge, Flanking, but no sneak attack bawww): (aww automiss) [roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9] (+4 to attack rolls if Fang's trip was successful)

damage: (aw automiss) [roll10], [roll11], [roll12], [roll13], each hit ignores an increasing 5 points of DR or hardness (0 on first, 5 on 2nd, 10 on 3rd, 15 on last).

AttilaTheGeek
2013-03-30, 07:57 PM
"And soon it will be. These constructs are no match for us. Today we charge, to wipe these monsters off the face of the earth!" Razil charges and attacks the nearest statue. "See? Already they fall."

Swift action: Inspiring Command to Sound the Charge, granting +3 to attack and damage rolls.
Full-round: Charge at the nearest statue, with Power Attack.
Attack roll: [roll0]
Crit (if 37-38) confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

Bladehunter217
2013-03-30, 09:28 PM
Fang manages to grab hold of the creatures leg, but it takes a step ignoring him. Skids first attack is wide, ridicuously so. His second connects at the creatures leg and barely digs into its form. His third attack connects a little more successfully while it takes a step aside from his fourth attack.
Razil's sword punches through its chest-piece. Withdrawing the blade, the hole seems smaller than it should and the creature keeps moving forward, barely slowed.

Aldurin
2013-03-31, 01:48 AM
Erol shrugs off the blow and reciprocates with two swings of his hammer, continuing to pry open the construct.

Full-attack on the enemy that hit him. Also, is the damage before or after the damage reduction (I got three kinds going so unless it's a magical cold iron swordhammer it's not doing full damage).

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Bladehunter217
2013-03-31, 12:08 PM
Two good swings and two more large dents in its sides. The dents and scrapes are leaving their toll and it is moving in a much more considerably slow fashion.

I looked into what weapons and abilities you guys had when i first introduced these buggers.

chrisrawr
2013-04-02, 08:27 PM
Wary of the two constructs still unchecked, but seeing nothing better for it, Skid and Fang continue their assault on the 'injured' automaton.

Skid and fang change places, +10 feet each, and re-charge.
Skid Tumble to avoid AoO: [roll0]
Fang Tumble to avoid AoO:[roll1]\

Skid full attack: [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5],

Damage: [roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9]

Crit/Conf:
1 [roll10], 2 [roll11], 3 [roll12], 4 [roll13],

Damage:1 [roll14], 2 [roll15], 3 [roll16], 4 [roll17]

Fang: Trip Touch Attack: [roll18], Opposed Trip: [roll19]

Attack if success: [roll20], damage [roll21]

Bladehunter217
2013-04-04, 08:29 AM
The first construct takes the blows from skid and his fang and slowly comes to a halt. The two behind it move close enough for assault on Razil. A claw from each tear towards him, gouging his shoulder and side for 13 and 16 dmg. The other five have escaped the tentacles and are moving towards the three.

One claw from each directed at Razil.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-04-04, 03:11 PM
Razil swings twice at the constructs, then shouts "Here they come! Be ready- we cannot fall!"

Free action: Maintain previous Inspiring Command for +3 attack and damage. I misread it last round; it's swift to start, but free to maintain.
Full-round action: Full power attack at the construct I attacked before. If the first swing kills it, the second swing goes to the other one next to me.
Attack|Roll|Damage
Attack #1|[roll0]|[roll1]
Crit confirm #1|[roll2]|[roll3]
Attack #2|[roll4]|[roll5]
Crit confirm #2|[roll6]|[roll7]
Swift action: Change my Inspiring Command from +3 attack/damage to DR 3/-

Bladehunter217
2013-04-04, 03:15 PM
Even one solid connection with the creature doesn't even slow it

Aldurin
2013-04-07, 12:23 PM
Seeing the first construct stop working, he moves in range of the nearest moving construct and brings his hammer down again.

5-foot step and full-attack, unless he can't reach any of them with a 5-foot step in which case just count the first attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

chrisrawr
2013-04-21, 09:21 AM
Skid is really not liking their chances - it took all three of them just to down one of the automatons, and there were so many more coming. "Wegottagetoutofhere!"

Fang growled in agreement, as Skid searched for a door.

If there's a door other than where we came in, Skid'll head towards that and call back afterward. Tumbles to avoid AoO's [roll0],
[roll1],
[roll2],
[roll3],
[roll4],
[roll5]

Bladehunter217
2013-04-21, 10:14 AM
One of the creatures managed to respond fast enough to slash at skid, missing him by inches. He can get to the door without any more troubles, at which point he stumbles upon Erol's previously cast black tentacles. The five closest to Skid surround him and attack as one. Two connection for 15 and 17 dmg. The two remaining ones swing all four claws together, two at Erol, two at Razil. Nothing breaches Erol's armor, but both strikes connect with Razil, dealing 13 and 14 dmg.
In the room with Erol's tentacles, there are two more doors.