PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Assistance *Ascetic Mage*

metalith
2013-03-28, 03:13 PM
I am needing help to optimize a character build that I have rolling around in my head. I am newish to 3.5 been doing a lot of research but want to put this out to some more experienced eyes.

I already understand that this would not be as optimized as a pure build but I'm a fan of "gish" characters and want to try for the something different.

I am limited to non-campaign specific books and books from Eberron campaign (since I've taken something from the Eberron books).

Character Ideal: Boom-stick at a Distance, Unsuspecting Can of Whoop-ass up close

I am trying to maximize spell potential and attack power as I can.

Character is starting at 13 and should take me all the way up to Epic Levels.

What I currently have

Race: Kobold
Special: Loredrake, Venerable, Draconic Rite of Passage (Identify), Greater Draconic Rite of Passage
Flaws: Arcane Parasite, Hot-Blooded or Cold-Blooded (DM is serious about flaws willing to alter them but they will be used against me)

Class Idea so far

Unarmed Swordsage 2 / Monk 2 / Kobold Paragon 3 / Battle Sorcerer 3 / Abjurant Champion 3

Feats:
Ascetic Mage
Combat Casting
Draconic Reservoir
Dragonwrought (White)
Practiced Spellcaster
Quicken Spell
Superior Unarmed Strike

Stats:
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 16
Cha 22

Manuevers:
Primary Focused on Shadow Hand with some Diamond Mind

Where I possibly see it at 20

Unarmed Swordsage 2 / Monk 2 / Kobold Paragon 3 / Battle Sorcerer 9 / Abjurant Champion 4

WhatBigTeeth
2013-03-28, 03:39 PM
It's weird seeing that much kobold cheese and battle sorcerer in the same build. BS is mainly used for lazy low-op single or dual-classed gishes, while dragonwrought kobolds usually hang out in the other end of the spectrum - especially the ones sneaking into sovereign archetypes.

But you're losing a lot of caster levels, and a lot of spells from the BS variant. I'd think Monk 1/Sorcerer 4/Enlightened Fist 3/Abjurant Champion 5 would be a more attractive level 13 cross-section for the same concept (or EF 4/AC 4, if not using fractional base attack rules).

metalith
2013-03-28, 04:00 PM
I forgot to include the Practiced Spellcaster feat which shored up Caster level.

I have looked at the Enlightened Fist PrC and does not appeal me. I know its an odd build, using Koboldness to shore up casting power. I would use Stalwart Sorcerer but trying to Maximize BAB.

Namfuak
2013-03-28, 04:18 PM
Taking unarmed swordsage and monk in the same game is illegal - monk is replaced by unarmed swordsage.

More seriously, it does not make sense to take them together, because they give you basically the same thing, especially the first two levels. You may be better off either taking 1 level of unarmed swordsage and 6 of sorcerer to qualify for prestige classes (taking superior unarmed strike at 6th level), or really probably doing the normal sorcadin or fighter/sorcerer base and burning feats on IUS and Superior Unarmed Strike (and perhaps improved natural attack).

Also, you would have to take a sorcerer level before taking kobold paragon, or it doesn't increase your sorcerer level.

metalith
2013-03-28, 05:49 PM
Unarmed SS and Monk would stack increasing Unarmed Damage. Monk 2 also provides Evasion.

Unarmed SS provides Wisdom to AC which could allow either a second Cha to AC or a separate Wis to AC bonus since this will be unarmored.

I am willing to drop Monk since I'm going to be using a Monk's Belt and have the okay for Monk's Belt and Ascetic Monk stacking.