PDA

View Full Version : A Real-Life VoP Bard?

Palanan
2013-03-28, 05:51 PM
Well, maybe not strictly VoP, since he barters for items (http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/russian-artist-sergey-balovin-and-the-in-kind-exchange-project--how-he-lives-without-money-202940946.html) rather than paying for them; at the end of the day he still has possessions, although he gave up his apartment for traveling.

But I love the idea of trading art for daily necessities, and living light across the land. I'm the first one to caution against trying to shoehorn real lives into D&D...and yet, I'd love to work up some sort of bard based on this guy.

Might be tricky for a bard to advertise his itinerary (http://balovin.ru/en) on a continental scale, though. --But look at the photo. Crazy Russian bard, da?

:smalltongue:

Amidus Drexel
2013-03-28, 06:05 PM
That's pretty cool. :smallcool:

Hrm... I definitely don't have enough money to sponsor a trip for him to the states...

TaiLiu
2013-03-28, 10:55 PM
--But look at the photo. Crazy Russian bard, da?

Да, he sounds interesting. Like Amidus Drexel, though, I lack the money for his travel.

Palanan
2013-03-28, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by TaiLiu
Like Amidus Drexel, though, I lack the money for his travel.

We could hold a yard sale or something....

TaiLiu
2013-03-28, 11:25 PM
We could hold a yard sale or something....

Нет. I don't think I really have anything to sell...

Flickerdart
2013-03-28, 11:47 PM
By the strictest reading of VoP, it doesn't forbid owning a website, as it is not a material possession. :smallbiggrin:

Palanan
2013-03-30, 07:12 PM
Hilarious.

--But will he get busted for "borrowing" someone else's computer?

Morph Bark
2013-03-31, 06:37 AM
By the strictest reading of VoP, it doesn't forbid owning a website, as it is not a material possession. :smallbiggrin:

...you just gave me a wonderful idea. :smallamused:

Winthur
2013-03-31, 07:15 AM
Reminds me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaRcjgMGgfY)

Slipperychicken
2013-04-01, 08:09 PM

Would using a computer count as a "material possession" for the purposes of the feat?

Does this mean a VoP character can spend all his WBL on financial instruments and investments, and manage them until he can afford a private army? Since digitized money isn't material, he can be as rich as he wants.

EDIT: He can own a controlling share in some organization or other entity (a non-material possession), which uses his money to own a mansion and all manner of luxuries, and employs a manservant who does everything for him (including passing him luxury wines and operating all his magic items for him).

Palanan
2013-04-02, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by slipperychicken
Does this mean a VoP character can spend all his WBL on financial instruments and investments, and manage them until he can afford a private army?

Pretty sure the feat specifies the WBL needs to be spent on charities. Even if the investments get five stars from Charity Navigator, they probably shouldn't be diverted to supporting an army. :smallbiggrin:

Originally Posted by Morph Bark
...you just gave me a wonderful idea.

Share? Please?