PDA

View Full Version : Kingmaker Module, Weapon Size, and Houserules Questions

Xefas
2013-03-28, 06:09 PM
Question/Situation One

Are there rules for having a weaponsmith alter the size of a pre-existing weapon?

If not, would there be any issues with a houserule that allows a weaponsmith to make Craft checks to change the size of a weapon, with raw materials costing the difference between the two items' market values?

(For example, a Medium +1 Greatsword costs 2350gp, and a Large +1 Greatsword costs 2400gp. So, as a project that costs 50gp in raw materials, the craftsman could alter the Medium +1 Greatsword into a Large +1 Greatsword.)

I'm thinking more in terms of mechanics. But I'm also interested in knowing whether it would be horrendously unrealistic to expect a smith to be able to change a sword's size without fundamentally destroying it (destroying an item, I assume, removes its magicalness). Realism isn't going to stop me, but I'd like to know anyway.

Question/Situation Two

Say, hypothetically, I was going to be playing the Kingmaker paizo module. And, say, hypothetically, the following conditions applied;
-One GM, and one PC; no Leadership feat.
-Using 3.5 rules, so no condensed skills and so on.
-I haven't been spoiled to the module (except what's in the Kingmaker Player's Guide; so I know it's about wilderness exploration and eventually ruling a kingdom), and don't want to be.

What would be some appropriate houserules, or recommendations, to facilitate this, hypothetically? Keeping in mind that I'll probably not be playing a spellcaster.

Right now, we were thinking of the following:
-Character starts at level 2 (it's a big jump from level 1, all things considered, and I'll be getting those sweet, sweet solo XPs, so I'll likely be outleveling the adventure a little bit) with appropriate wealth by level.
-30 point buy
-There's some kind of Potion Belt/Bandolier from the Forgotten Realms setting, costs 1gp, that allows you to slot in six potions, and draw one as a free action once per round. Should probably get one of those.
-The Player's Guide suggests that the party have access to quite a few skills; Perception, Survival, Swim, Ride, Diplomacy, and some Knowledges, if I recall correctly. Since I'm only one man, we're thinking +2 skill points per level, to cover some of the bases other party members would be able to.
-I'm told I should have a high Charisma for this module?
-In terms of weapons, the Player's Guide suggests that the module hands out a lot of swords, axes, and bows. So, specializing in those if possible.

(Hypothetically, of course.)

Namfuak
2013-03-28, 06:21 PM
1. Realistically, probably not in most cases. A sword especially would need to be melted down and recast, otherwise the "extension" would not bond to the rest of the sword properly. Perhaps a very skilled artisan with some magical expertise might be able to melt only part of the blade using magic and recast it without having to completely destroy it, but I'd say it costs more than the difference in cost of the two swords (perhaps 2x the difference). It would probably have to be ruled on per weapon though, since it would be not really feasible to change a club, for example, in such a way that the spot where it is joined is not weaker than the rest.

2. I've never played the module, but from what you describe you might want a beguiler or factotum. Factotum is a bit more "jack-of-all-trades," but I think a beguiler will do better on his own than a factotum, simply because if you are creative enough you can surpass most encounters by avoiding or going past the enemy, rather than destroying them.

Ravenica
2013-03-28, 07:08 PM
1: No there isn't, but a houserule shouldn't cause much in the way of unforseen consequences, I personally have a house rule allowing the movement of an enchantment from one weapon to another just similar purposes.

2: I don't play 3.5 anymore so I can't predict all the interaction changes that will occur using those rules, certainly some encounters abilities will be wonky and won't work right or will be outright useless especially combat maneuvers...

I would recommend starting at level 1 and using a gestalt character instead, perhaps with a houserule giving you the skill points of both classes combined to make up the lack of other party members

Coidzor
2013-03-28, 07:45 PM
Question/Situation One

Are there rules for having a weaponsmith alter the size of a pre-existing weapon?

If not, would there be any issues with a houserule that allows a weaponsmith to make Craft checks to change the size of a weapon, with raw materials costing the difference between the two items' market values?

(For example, a Medium +1 Greatsword costs 2350gp, and a Large +1 Greatsword costs 2400gp. So, as a project that costs 50gp in raw materials, the craftsman could alter the Medium +1 Greatsword into a Large +1 Greatsword.)

I'm thinking more in terms of mechanics. But I'm also interested in knowing whether it would be horrendously unrealistic to expect a smith to be able to change a sword's size without fundamentally destroying it (destroying an item, I assume, removes its magicalness). Realism isn't going to stop me, but I'd like to know anyway.

Not as far as I know, regarding changing a weapon's size, though, really, I feel you're approaching the issue from the wrong direction since what is wanted is the enchantment, not the weapon itself, at least in the majority of cases.

Just take inspiration from the idea of the artificer being able to absorb the magic of an item for use with other items and give them a way to transfer the enchantment from a magic weapon to a non-magic weapon that can have the magic applied to it. Considering that all of the costs have already been paid for anyway, I'd further recommend consideration given to just requiring time and a check of some sort as the main component of the process rather than a gold cost.

Question/Situation Two

Say, hypothetically, I was going to be playing the Kingmaker paizo module. And, say, hypothetically, the following conditions applied;
-One GM, and one PC; no Leadership feat.
-Using 3.5 rules, so no condensed skills and so on.
-I haven't been spoiled to the module (except what's in the Kingmaker Player's Guide; so I know it's about wilderness exploration and eventually ruling a kingdom), and don't want to be.

This seems... difficult without a lot of RP-acquired followers.

What would be some appropriate houserules, or recommendations, to facilitate this, hypothetically? Keeping in mind that I'll probably not be playing a spellcaster.

Some way of getting NPC allies is going to be a requirement, since you're going to need ministers and spellcasters that are of levels high enough to be relevant. Either that or the game to be houseruled to the point where you never run into anything that would require a spellcaster.

At the very least a good diplomacy check and a lot of thinking about how to convince people to agree to follow you coming from a lot of different scenarios of encountering them, from initial friendliness, apathy, or even hostility.

I would recommend starting at level 1 and using a gestalt character instead, perhaps with a houserule giving you the skill points of both classes combined to make up the lack of other party members

Gestalt is a good idea, I'd agree.

Xefas
2013-03-28, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for the responses so far. :smallsmile:

Some way of getting NPC allies is going to be a requirement, since you're going to need ministers and spellcasters that are of levels high enough to be relevant. Either that or the game to be houseruled to the point where you never run into anything that would require a spellcaster.

In regards to this specifically, is it possible you can slightly elaborate, without spoiling too much? What (and when), in the most general terms, in the module, requires a spellcaster?

Coidzor
2013-04-02, 10:18 PM
In regards to this specifically, is it possible you can slightly elaborate, without spoiling too much? What (and when), in the most general terms, in the module, requires a spellcaster?

A number of the things that are threats to a kingdom itself almost demand or outright demand magical support in dealing with them, either by finding an NPC to help or counteracting an enemy NPC and using a PC spellcaster to fix the problem after it's no longer going to be renewed.

I can't recall exactly if it's part of the module itself or if the upper level antagonists are left up to the DM or selected from a pool, but running up against a high level spellcaster enemy without caster support and buffs is not fun whether it's a dragon of respectable age or an angry gnome or a lich. As I recall the module goes into double digits, so the problems of caster on mundane get worse.