PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Impossible Scenario

Keneth
2013-03-28, 10:05 PM
Ok, so a character in one of the campaigns I participate in is about to die. I am in an impossible situation and I took it as a challenge to try and find a solution before the next session. Sadly, I've been mulling over this for a few hours now, and I can't see any good ways of getting myself out of this predicament, so I figured I might as well ask for some creative help from the playground.

Here's the situation: My party and I are in the Candlestone Caverns, more specifically the Vault (Dungeons of Golarion, pp. 9-13). Note that the GM amped up pretty much everything. I'm playing a druid and was being accompanied by a wizard (who has escaped), a summoner (who is dead), and my animal companion (also dead). In other words, it's just me. The druid is level 4 (with enough XP to level up ASAP), and has 0 hit points. I am currently being pursued by a single enemy (though that may change), a level 7 fighter (Zalsus) at full health, who can easily take me down with a single arrow.

I am in a fairly large area of unworked tunnels and niches with lots of intersections (area 11; I would post the image but the artwork is copyrighted), and the enemy is right on my tail, although I've taken the opportunity to move around a corner and hide, so it's unlikely he'll be able to find me on the first round. The tunnels are (supposedly) pitch black, meaning I can't see anything, and casting light will expose me. There is only one exit from these caves (the way I came in) that leads back into the underground complex, but there's several elite guards (Warrior 4) guarding the exit from the complex, as well as a cleric of some sort, so making a run for it, unless I'm invisible like the wizard was, is next to impossible while I'm disabled. There's also locked wooden trapdoors all over the caves, that lead into one large opening where 3 starved giant ants await me (though my character doesn't know that specifically).

Here's some more facts about my character:

Menhir Savant archetype
Currently wild shaped into a Deinonychus (4 hours left), which nets me scent, low-light vision, and 60 ft. land speed
Autohypnosis +6 (for the purposes of Resist Dying and Willpower)
Perception +11
Heal +8 and a Healer's Kit with 7 uses left
No hero points left
Human
AC: 20 (both forms)
Ongoing spells: barkskin (about 45 minutes left), mage armor (5 hours)
Cantrips: create water, purify food and drink, detect magic, and light
Only one spell left: faerie fire
Items: 11 daggers, 1x tanglefoot bag, 100 ft. of rope with a grappling hook, crowbar, shovel, 2x holy water, 1x potion of lesser restoration, and 119 gp

I've ran a couple dozen simulations in my head and it always results in the character dying.

The best I've come up with is:

Surrender and try to convince Zalsus to sell me as a slave. That would afford me a chance to rest, but there's only a 10-20% chance that he won't just kill me anyway.
If he decides to kill me, I could try to convince him that killing me underground would be bad since I'm a druid, and that he should kill me outside in the forest.
I could crack open one of the trapdoors and try to fool him into thinking I was killed by the ants. But there's still patrols in the area, so then what?

Got any better ideas? Is there a way to MacGyver an escape with what I have? :smallsmile:

avr
2013-03-28, 10:23 PM
If you can get one of the warriors alone, might you be able to bribe him or her with what you've got? I doubt what you've got is enough to bribe more than one.

If you need to hide somewhere to rest, the tanglefoot bag might be handy for gluing yourself somewhere you wouldn't normally be able to rest, on a tiny ledge or something. You'd have to argue that the usual 2d4 rounds applies when people are trying to free themselves from it. If you could make a hammock or something the rope might serve the same purpose. Obviously you'd have to lose Zalsus first before trying to rest either way.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-28, 10:27 PM
What 0th level spells do you have?

Also, remember that you also have Summon Nature's Ally I as a spell you can cast because of spontaneous casting.

Deffers
2013-03-28, 10:41 PM
I would try to attach myself to the roof or walls somehow where Zalsus wouldn't expect me to be.

From there I am in a uniquely good position to get a surprise round and use either my tanglefoot bag or just straight-up drop a goddamn shovel on his head. No need to be subtle here.

Several cubic feet of water falling on someone's head spontaneously is also way more painful than you might expect, with a gravity assist.

So, can you think VERTICALLY instead?

Ravenica
2013-03-28, 10:51 PM
can you manage an hour of free time in hiding? if you level up you have 3rd level spell slots available and all you need is an hour of meditation to fill those unused slots. Assuming you get at least 1 bonus slot from wisdom you could probably manage a SN3 and stoneshape to get yourself near the exit and create a new one.

some other ideas:

if you can give him the slip this time, crack one of the trapdoors as you suggested and drop a stone with light in there, then hide nearby. Use that decoy to get your hour of rest. Level up first, and tap the ley lines, gives you an hour of light, should should be a good enough decoy

Waker
2013-03-28, 10:59 PM
The best suggestion that I can give you is to hit him with the tanglefoot bag and hope it tangles him up good. Then swap out your Faerie Fire for Summon Nature's Ally and call up a Stirge, (use your place magic ability to increase the duration if you have the uses left). Have it attach to him and start draining blood and get rid of some of those pesky hp. The rules are a little vague on the wording, but it says that the stirge is affectively grappling, which might mean that Zalsus is given a penalty on his chance to hit you by 2 and takes a -4 penalty to Dex, that should stack since entangle and grapple are different conditions. So if you are lucky he'll have a -4 hit and -8 Dex, plus whatever Con damage he takes from the stirge. While he is engaged so, run up and do what hurt you can to him.
Another option is that while grappled, you can grab weapons from him. Opponents who are grappled aren't allowed AoOs. Disarm him to lessen his threat to you. I'm not sure of his race, but use your low-light vision to your advantage if you can.

Keneth
2013-03-29, 01:34 AM
If you can get one of the warriors alone, might you be able to bribe him or her with what you've got?

I've considered bribery, and it won't work unless I can bribe Zalsus or the cleric. In both cases, it seems moot since they can just shoot me in the face and take everything anyway.

If you could make a hammock or something the rope might serve the same purpose.

I could make a hammock from rope, mud (assuming the ground isn't solid stone), and tanglefoot bag. The problem is, I have no way of hanging it anywhere without it being noticed.

What 0th level spells do you have?

Cantrips (or rather orisons) are already noted in the original post.

Also, remember that you also have Summon Nature's Ally I as a spell you can cast because of spontaneous casting.

Already taken into consideration, and apart from a very temporary diversion, I can't find any use for it.

I would try to attach myself to the roof or walls somehow where Zalsus wouldn't expect me to be.

The tunnels and openings are pretty small. Nowhere more than 10 feet high or wide. The only place where I could hide is the space between the upper level and the lower level, if I pry open one of the trapdoors. The only question is how to position myself in that space without anyone noticing.

Several cubic feet of water falling on someone's head spontaneously is also way more painful than you might expect, with a gravity assist.

And where do you propose I keep several cubic feet of water? I have no containers large enough, and if you cast create water above ground, it just creates a light shower, not a block of water. If you care to know, a small-sized falling object otherwise deals a measly 2d6 points of damage with a Reflex save for half. :smallsmile:

if you can give him the slip this time, crack one of the trapdoors as you suggested and drop a stone with light in there, then hide nearby. Use that decoy to get your hour of rest. Level up first, and tap the ley lines, gives you an hour of light, should should be a good enough decoy

That decoy may buy me a few minutes at most, probably. I considered dropping down light and summoning an animal for the ants to devour. Or possibly throwing down my armor and some belongings, including the food I have with me. That might convince Zalsus I jumped down to my death, but the deception should be apparent pretty quickly, and even if I do get rid of him, there's still patrols in this area that I would have to hide from.

The best suggestion that I can give you is to hit him...

While I appreciate the wild disregard for my life as I engage a fighter 3 levels higher than me with 0 hp and no good spells, please remember that losing a single hit point, either from straining myself or being hit by him, effectively means I'm dead.

If anyone's interested, here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/unique-monsters/cr-6/zalsus-kobold-fighter-7) is Zalsus's stat block. The only thing of note is that he only has a +1 bonus on Perception checks, so I may be able to outmaneuver him stealthily, as long as I'm in deinonychus form. But on the other hand, he's got +17 to Stealth checks, so if he stalks me, I likely won't notice him either, even with my +11 on Perception checks.

Xerxus
2013-03-29, 02:06 AM
Why does he want to kill you?

Keneth
2013-03-29, 02:15 AM
Probably because we barged into his stronghold for no apparent reason. And that was after we slaughtered a whole village of kobolds who may or may not have had any relation with this particular group further in the cave system.

To be honest, I'm just following the wizard. Which might be a good selling point since the wizard is nowhere to be found. Finding the most effective way of surrender would likely give me the greatest chance of getting out of this alive.

sabelo2000
2013-03-29, 02:31 AM
What race are your opponents? With your Scent ability, you'd have an advantage against your enemies if they don't have darkvision.

Certified
2013-03-29, 02:39 AM
Can you take a longer approach? We know where you are now,dark hallway, you can see, he can't. Is there a way to double back on him and slip back into the place you'r fleeing from and find a place to rest? With the stated Perception of 1, it seems like you have a good chance of giving him the slip.

To deal with the situation more directly, the pit traps have deadly ants in them. Using Summon Natures Ally I you can call up a Mite to open these traps and lure the ants into attacking your foe. Whilst unlikely the Mite will live long once actual fighting begins it can cast Doom for you before it meats its own.

Note: These concepts are not mutually exclusive. Should the hoard of ants not be enough to get the job done they can make a powerful distraction for your blind foe as you slip away.

Invader
2013-03-29, 11:23 AM
Do you have any wildshape uses left? I'm assuming wildshape is a little different in PF since you're using it at 4th? I'm not familiar with PF.

Trexmaster45
2013-03-29, 11:28 AM
Do you have any wildshape uses left? I'm assuming wildshape is a little different in PF since you're using it at 4th? I'm not familiar with PF.

PF druids get wildshape at level 4, and only get 1 a day at that level.

Every 2 levels they get another usage.

Zerter
2013-03-29, 11:51 AM
If you are just following the Wizard, offer to sell him out. In fact, tell him you were misguided into doing these things and actually want to take down the Wizard. Role-play/lie like your life depends on it!

Ravenica
2013-03-29, 12:05 PM
ok, next question, how close to the exit can you get without being spotted?

Chained Birds
2013-03-29, 12:48 PM
If you are just following the Wizard, offer to sell him out. In fact, tell him you were misguided into doing these things and actually want to take down the Wizard. Role-play/lie like your life depends on it!

This might work.

How good are your Social Skills?

Keneth
2013-03-29, 01:35 PM
What race are your opponents?

Like Zalsus, they are all kobolds. I have no advantage.

Is there a way to double back on him and slip back into the place you'r fleeing from and find a place to rest?

I could go back, but I know of no safe places in the complex that would provide me with a place to hide.

To deal with the situation more directly, the pit traps have deadly ants in them.

They're not pit traps. They're locked wooden trapdoors to the lower level, where 4 giant ants guard the cave. I've considered luring Zalsus to an open trap door and bullrushing him inside, but even if I succeeded (50% chance), he could probably dispatch them without getting injured, and he would be severely pissed once he got out.

Do you have any wildshape uses left?

If I were level 6, when I get the second use, this encounter would be trivial since I could just transform into an air elemental and whirlwind my way out of the complex.

Role-play/lie like your life depends on it!

Begging Zalsus for my life, in exchange for my services, seems like the best way to increase my chances of him sparing me.

ok, next question, how close to the exit can you get without being spotted?

Most likely within 30 ft. But it's a reinforced iron gate (probably shut by now), guarded by a cleric and an unknown number of minions

How good are your Social Skills?

I'm a druid, where do you suppose I acquired social skills? They're all at -2. :smallbiggrin:

Ravenica
2013-03-29, 01:46 PM
safe bet the guardians at the door are kobolds? summon the pony behind you somewhere, Trick them into opening the gate, then tanglefoot whichever one looks the fastest, horse engages and you use your massive movement speed to run like hell.

Pony can be made to run interference for anything that tries to sight you with a ranged attack

Keneth
2013-03-29, 02:59 PM
safe bet the guardians at the door are kobolds?

Yes, but the guards aren't the problem. It's the cleric guarding the door that won't let me through. If and only if I manage sneak up within 30 ft. and the gate still happens to be open, I could try using my surprise round to use willpower, tumble past the cleric, succeed on several jump checks (DC 5, but I can still fail with 0 ranks), and move to relative safety. Unless an arrow hits me in the knee, at which point my adventuring days end.

There's a lot of ifs in this maneuver and my rolls have been horrendous lately (which is primarily the reason I'm in this situation). So while the chances are not zero, I don't see it being any more effective than switching sides.

Ravenica
2013-03-29, 03:28 PM
using a summoned horse could possibly relieve some of those ifs

but it still looks like your best bet

maybe put the tanglefoot bag in the horses mouth and have him charge the cleric?

Grollub
2013-03-29, 03:37 PM
you should talk to the wizard out of game, and tell him to come save you!!

Keneth
2013-03-29, 05:44 PM
using a summoned horse could possibly relieve some of those ifs

If I want to summon anything, I need to wild shape back into human form. I move 3x slower in human form and can't tumble. Summoning a pony for one round only serves as short distraction. It can't trample or bull rush, it can't hit anything, and I can't ride it, so...

you should talk to the wizard out of game, and tell him to come save you!!

That's metagaming and the wizard is out of tricks anyway. He wasted the last of his spells to get himself out as it is.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 06:24 PM
Can you wild shape to a rat and scurry yourself out?

Edit: Can you hold off long enough to get another wild shape? If you could summon an animal that you could also wild shape into, they wouldn't know which one to chase.

Xerxus
2013-03-29, 06:46 PM
If you can level up somehow taking natural spell would let you summon something that could serve as a sufficient distraction.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 06:51 PM
If you can level up somehow taking natural spell would let you summon something that could serve as a sufficient distraction.

I doubt he could pull that off at 0hp.

Maybe you can convince them you already left. Summon an animal and order it to run, maybe they'll think it's you. Buy you time in the tunnels to heal yourself at least to 1hp so you dont' have to worry about straining yourself. Maybe even regain some spells....

Keneth
2013-03-29, 06:57 PM
Yeah, leveling up would considerably change the odds, but like I said, I would need at least an hour of respite to achieve that, and that seems rather impossible with an angry BBEG on my tail. The only way I see myself getting any rest is if they spare me after surrendering.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 07:13 PM
Yeah, leveling up would considerably change the odds, but like I said, I would need at least an hour of respite to achieve that, and that seems rather impossible with an angry BBEG on my tail. The only way I see myself getting any rest is if they spare me after surrendering.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcgb3gPbKc1r8v175o1_r1_1280.png

Seriously.

Watch their movements and find a place Heal yourself back to at least 1 HP with one of your 7 uses of Healer's Kit. Rush the action and take a penalty or whatever you have to do to allow you to take two actions without Straining yourself. This should be step 1 in any scenario.

Detect Magic. Your BBEG should have a magic item or two on him, you can now keep tabs on his position in the tunnel network. If there's more than one hit from the detect magic, then now you at least know the position of more than one guard. If it pings every warrior, even better.

The first thing I can think of doing is summoning a creature and casting light on it. If you're lucky they might be convinced that it's you and chase it out of the area. If you can't summon a creature that might have to take the attacks of the Guards at the front, then at least lead everyone AWAY from the entrance that-a-ways you now only have to concern yourself with the front guards for a moment. If your DM doesn't rule that they'd effectively believe the creature could be you, make the argument that you at least get a Bluff Roll.

"Surrender" to the guards (while the other actively searching troops are as far away as possible, in the ants cavern if possible.)

Sleight of hand to keep your tanglefoot bag hidden. When the guards close in to "capture" you, toss it at them. Try to get them both in the affected area.

If you don't like this idea, use the Rope / Grappling hook like a spiked chain. Throw a tanglefoot at the one guard, use the rope / hook to trip the other, and run for your life.

avr
2013-03-29, 08:03 PM
One more thought. SNA 1 can summon a Mite. Mites get vermin empathy. There are some half-starved giant ants around here somewhere you said.

If you have some food, or if there's something sweet in the healer's kit which you can repurpose as an ant treat, maybe you can throw some giant ants at one of your enemies? Dunno if they're tough enough to help though. Also requires split second timing given the spell duration, and successful vermin empathy from a not terribly charismatic creature.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 08:15 PM
Just looked up your big bad and he's got a cloak of resistance +2. That should work for the purposes of Detect Magic.

Perhaps more importantly, Light Sensitivity. You've got a Light spell ready...

Contingency plan if caught? Pop Light, take advantage of the Light Sensitivity, and continue to run for your life as per my earlier suggestion.

Keneth
2013-03-29, 08:49 PM
Using vermin empathy requires 1 minute. My summon lasts 5 rounds. Not to mention the ants would rather eat the mite. Plus I can't communicate with the mite, it only speaks undercommon. If I could, I'd ask it to use its prestidigitation. I might be able to lure the ants out into the tunnels with light and the meat I'm carrying around. That scenario has a reasonable chance of success, but it only enables my escape from the caves. I would then have to lure them somehow into the complex (they can follow my bloodscent) and use the situation to my advantage. The simulations I've ran so far either resulted in Zalsus finding me prematurely, me dying by vermin suicide, or the guards killing me in spite of incoming danger. The only chance of this succeeding, is me getting Zalsus on the other side of the caves, but I haven't figured out yet how to lure him there. He's not stupid.

My detect magic and scent abilities have both been taken into account since the beginning, considering the fact that I can't see anything without turning the lights on.

Also the kobolds won't have to chase any summons. They're using bows and can shoot at 100 feet with no penalty (the length of the complex).

Getting past the front gate guards and outrunning them is impossible in human form, unless all of them, including the cleric, are too preoccupied with something else to worry about me. I have to stay in deinonychus form if I have any hope of simply running away.

And light has no effect on light sensitivity. Even light blindness needs a bright light.

It's also worth mentioning that the kobolds don't speak common and I can't speak draconic. Any hope of a peaceful resolution or complex deception has to go through Zalsus or the cleric (I'm assuming he speaks common since he's a human-looking lad).

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 09:17 PM
The only chance of this succeeding, is me getting Zalsus on the other side of the caves, but I haven't figured out yet how to lure him there. He's not stupid.

Agreed. Maybe throwing gold coins away from your position will keep him searching for the noise?

My detect magic and scent abilities have both been taken into account since the beginning, considering the fact that I can't see anything without turning the lights on.

Wasn't sure, but good to know. Keep forgetting you're not in human form.

Also the kobolds won't have to chase any summons. They're using bows and can shoot at 100 feet with no penalty (the length of the complex).

I've seen the map. The caverns are winding, so long as it keeps turning they'll have to keep running after it to get a clear shot.

Getting past the front gate guards and outrunning them is impossible in human form, unless all of them, including the cleric, are too preoccupied with something else to worry about me. I have to stay in deinonychus form if I have any hope of simply running away.

Right... So the grappling hook and surrender ideas are moot. Those gate guards need distracted somehow...

And light has no effect on light sensitivity. Even light blindness needs a bright light.

Oh dammit, that's true. You need a Daylight spell... OR a torch. Will Faerie Fire work?

It's also worth mentioning that the kobolds don't speak common and I can't speak draconic. Any hope of a peaceful resolution or complex deception has to go through Zalsus or the cleric (I'm assuming he speaks common since he's a human-looking lad).

Do I have to post the Jason Nesmith picture again?

I think my plan will work. If you keep whatever summoned animal running and sprinting around the corners. Stay in Raptor form and use the "Pounce" ability on the gate guards. (Charge for a full attack. Hopefully that's how it works in PF, that's what the 3.5 version does.)

After what will (hopefully) result in the utter destruction of the gate guard, you might be able to intimidate the other one into running away with just a stare. You are a raptor after all.

Keneth
2013-03-29, 10:25 PM
Agreed. Maybe throwing gold coins away from your position will keep him searching for the noise?

Like I said, he's not stupid. Tossing a rock or coin in the opposite direction may catch his attention, but he would have to keep following a diversion for this to work. A summoned creature with light cast on it may be enough, but I don't know how many other kobolds are in the same area.

I've seen the map. The caverns are winding, so long as it keeps turning they'll have to keep running after it to get a clear shot.

The caves are, but the majority of kobolds are in the complex at the exit. It's them I need to deal with, and a summon is useless in that situation.

OR a torch. Will Faerie Fire work?

Torch doesn't do anything (unless you shove it in their face). Faerie fire doesn't work either, and even if it did, dazzle isn't really what's gonna help me in this situation.

Stay in Raptor form and use the "Pounce" ability on the gate guards.

Can't pounce until level 6. Even if I did pounce the cleric, I wouldn't be able to kill him, and then my turn is done and I take 2 or more arrows in the face. Brute force isn't a way out of that situation, and that's assuming I can even get myself into that situation.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 10:44 PM
In that case, I've got one last idea.

Hide in the southeast corner. Cast light when you're sure he's alone in there with you. Open with the tanglefoot bag, summon something to give you a flanking bonus, faerie fire, and make your last stand in raptor form. If possible, summon something with a damn good grapple so it'll keep his attention. If he drops it, run into the trapdoor. (your character would consider it a contingency not knowing about the ants) and hope to god they decide to slow him down while you pop out of a different trapdoor.

If you can defeat him, take his head. Revert to human. And walk out of that cavern with the bastards skull as your codpiece. Circumstance bonus to your Intimidate.

Faith in your dice is all it sounds like you've got at this point. Make your last stand, and make it heroic as balls.

Chicks dig scars.

Deffers
2013-03-29, 10:58 PM
I like the cut of Octapusapult's jib. Sounds like that actually has a decent shot of tilting the odds in your favor.

Slipperychicken
2013-03-29, 11:21 PM
Have you considered summoning a Pony and riding it out after the Fighter rounds the corner? Just try not to make too many Ride checks (exceptions being Cover, Spur, and Fast Mount), as you'll take big penalties.

It has a lower base speed than you, and your weight will probably encumber it, but it has all its actions to Run. The mount is also Medium, so it can fit through doors pretty well. If you manage to clear the cavern in 5 rounds and your AC holds up, you might live through this.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 11:46 PM
Have you considered summoning a Pony and riding it out after the Fighter rounds the corner? Just try not to make too many Ride checks (exceptions being Cover, Spur, and Fast Mount), as you'll take big penalties.

It has a lower base speed than you, and your weight will probably encumber it, but it has all its actions to Run. The mount is also Medium, so it can fit through doors pretty well. If you manage to clear the cavern in 5 rounds and your AC holds up, you might live through this.

I immediately pictured a Raptor riding a pony.

Forget everything I said, do this. Do this no matter what. Do this...

TuggyNE
2013-03-29, 11:47 PM

Honestly, I just wanna see a raptor riding a pony for dear life.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 11:48 PM

I'm going to have to put this in my sig...

TuggyNE
2013-03-30, 12:29 AM
I'm going to have to put this in my sig...

Awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Keneth
2013-03-30, 01:14 AM
Hide in the southeast corner. Cast light when you're sure he's alone in there with you. Open with the tanglefoot bag, summon something to give you a flanking bonus, faerie fire, and make your last stand in raptor form.

You do realize that's 2 standard actions and 1 full round action, right? He gets 2 attack per round and he practically can't miss me. This wouldn't work if I had full hp, it stands zero chance of working when I'm at 0 hp. I could take him on with full hp, all spells, and a new batch of utility items. Even then I'd have hard time without my animal companion.

Engaging Zalsus is not an option. I thought we've cleared that up by now.

Have you considered summoning a Pony and riding it out after the Fighter rounds the corner?

Unfortunately medium creatures can't ride other medium creatures in most cases. I also don't have a saddle. And you can only run in a straight line, so while double moving, I am faster than the pony (although I need to use willpower so I don't drop).

Slipperychicken
2013-03-30, 01:26 AM

The sight should bewilder the door guards enough that they would hesitate (or crack up laughing) a bit before attacking, especially if they hadn't previously seen you in dino-form.

Besides, if you make it, you should end up with one of the most epic D&D stories out there.

Unfortunately medium creatures can't ride other medium creatures in most cases. I also don't have a saddle. And you can only run in a straight line, so while double moving, I am faster than the pony (although I need to use willpower so I don't drop).

Bareback and Unsuitable Mount just impose -5 to Ride checks, and you only have 30% chance to make the Willpower check (+6 vs DC 20). the pony being Frightened in combat may not be as debilitating it seems, since your objective is to escape.

Octopusapult
2013-03-30, 08:12 AM
Engaging Zalsus is not an option. I thought we've cleared that up by now.

Yeah we cleared that and everything else anyone has suggested. I don't see the point in this thread if all you're going to do is say "no" to any advice you get.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 10:14 AM
Actually kenneth the rules for mount size never made it's way into pathfinder or errata... but you can't summon the pony without losing raptor form so it's a moot point regardless of how awesome it would look lol

I had assumed natural spell, my bad

take your level up, select natural spell as your feat, problem solved, this is instant and does not require an hour, only the preperation of new spells in the unused slots would

now from there, if you can't find a place to meditate, use your fairie fire on the cleric and run for it, depending on how your dm works it you now have a few HP from levelup, you might be able to squeeze a dodge bonus from your movement speed and suprise if he's the type to enjoy the brashness.

If you managed to prepare your third level spells theres a number of them that would help but honestly while this is a risky plan it's likely your only hope. A defeatist attitude assures your death, fortune favours the bold, and braveness favours the brave :smallbiggrin:

the clumsy bard
2013-03-30, 11:21 AM
I have a relevant question.

How did the wizard escape?

You have previously mentioned he expended his resources escaping.

What did he do?

Keneth
2013-03-30, 11:44 AM
The sight should bewilder the door guards enough that they would hesitate

I agree, assuming they don't shoot on sight.

I don't see the point in this thread if all you're going to do is say "no" to any advice you get.

The point is, I'm looking for a way out, not a way to commit suicide. Most of the advice in this thread has been good, but it was mostly things I've already considered, or things that have no chance of working. I didn't call it an impossible scenario for kicks, I've assumed from the start that I covered all my options. I'm hoping some tidbits from an outside view might help me see something I've missed.

Actually kenneth the rules for mount size never made it's way into pathfinder or errata...

True, the rule is implied, but never explicitly stated. Depends on the GM's mood, but either way the pony is gonna be heavily encumbered if I attempt to ride it, dropping its speed to half of what I can move at. I'll need to carefully gauge the situation to see if it's worth considering, but the way I see it, sending the pony in ahead of me would probably serve me better.

Won't be as cool though. :smallbiggrin:

take your level up

I've been in the process of negotiating the terms of my premature level up for a while now. I imagine the GM will let me take my feat and skill points, and possibly the hero point, which is really the only way that getting to and through the exit becomes a possibility. My current hp won't change though.

I'm currently weighing all the possible options of using the hero point if I am granted one.

The most notable ones are:

Recall cure light wounds to rid myself of disabled status
Extra action to open the door (if closed)
Change wild shape into sea snake to slither through the door's bars (if closed)
Extra move action (if everything works better than expected)
Bonus to overrun attempt (to get past cleric)

How did the wizard escape?

Invisibility and tumble. Neither of which is in my repertoire. I should note that the door was open when the wizard managed to sneak past (1 round ago). Assuming that the kobolds are gonna be too preoccupied with the wizard's illusions and looking around for us, they might not decide to close it within the next 3 rounds, which is the soonest that I can get there. But I can't base a strategy solely under that assumption.

Gazzien
2013-03-30, 12:56 PM
Considering that you can spontaneously cast SNA's, if you level up and don't prepare, you should still be able to use your new slots for SNA, I think.

If that helps. I'm not sure.

Mr Adventurer
2013-03-30, 02:30 PM
If you change back to human, you heal as though you'd rested, so you won't be staggered at least.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 06:32 PM
If you change back to human, you heal as though you'd rested, so you won't be staggered at least.
I'm interested in learning more, what grants this? I've never played a pathfinder druid, mostly from lack of interest but this seems like it could be all sorts of interesting

Slipperychicken
2013-03-30, 07:11 PM

I don't think that was carried over to PF. In 3.5, you only get the heals when you use Wildshape (I don't think canceling it qualifies as "using").

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 07:15 PM
I don't think that was carried over to PF. In 3.5, you only get the heals when you use Wildshape (I don't think canceling it qualifies as "using").
that made me sadface...

I was looking foreward to building an abusive druid :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2013-03-30, 10:06 PM
that made me sadface...

I was looking foreward to building an abusive druid :smallbiggrin:

Don't worry, there are so many ways to break a Druid (they're arguably broken right out of the box). They're Tier 1 full-casters with a free, replaceable Fighter as a class feature from level 1.

Ravenica
2013-03-30, 10:11 PM
oh I know, played them to death back in 3.5 oh so many moons ago, probably why I havent managed to wrap myself up into a pathfinder one

Keneth
2013-04-01, 09:00 AM
Considering that you can spontaneously cast SNA's, if you level up and don't prepare, you should still be able to use your new slots for SNA, I think.

You gain spell slots when you pray at a specific time of day, each day. So even if that time of day was "whenever I need them", it would still take an hour. :smallbiggrin:

In 3.5 you used to heal whenever you used a polymorph effect, dismissing the effect made no difference. In PF, you don't heal either way.

Just to update this: Turns out Zalsus found me right away, so I never had a chance to do anything. I couldn't get a hero point either, otherwise I would have probably asked the GM if I can wildshape as a 6th level druid to change into an air elemental and gtfo. Should have done that from the start, really, but I didn't want to leave the wizard behind. The irony is not lost on me.

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas. I'll have a treat ready for everyone later.