PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Polymorph

Clericzilla
2013-03-28, 10:13 PM
So what happens when you use Polymorph with the Invisible spell metamagic?

A: You wouldn't see the polymorph effect, you would just see my character as normal though he would have the abilities of the polymorph.

B: I'm invisible until the polymorph runs out.

C: Something else?

Also on a side note, is there any great polymorph forms that give a huge bonus to Dex?

Keneth
2013-03-28, 10:20 PM
I'd say you're either invisible until you attack or it has no effect because the transformation is merely the result of the polymorph effect which has no visual manifestation.

Psyren
2013-03-28, 10:24 PM

You wake up with a DMG-shaped indent on the side of your cranium.

Clericzilla
2013-03-28, 10:27 PM
I'd say you're either invisible until you attack or it has no effect because the transformation is merely the result of the polymorph effect which has no visual manifestation.

I have no clue what you mean that the spell has no visual manifestation since a true seeing spell sees through it and shows your true form. The result of a spell is an effect of the spell (or else fireball doesn't really do anything).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueSeeing.htm

Also why would the invisibility end? Does the metamagic discharge somehow?

EDIT

@Psyren

No... trust me this is no where near as messed up as anyone else in the group, actually this would be considered tame in comparison. I'm just looking for some fun stuff to do while my higher level allies are banding reality over their knee and giving it a good spanking.

Amidus Drexel
2013-03-28, 10:44 PM

A: You wouldn't see the polymorph effect, you would just see my character as normal though he would have the abilities of the polymorph.

Hrm... Personally, I'd rule A. The change itself would only be visible to creatures with see invisibility (as true seeing would see through it completely), but you'd keep all of the abilities (including any size changes, which might make it difficult to adjudicate exactly what other people see) of your new form (well, the ones you would gain with polymorph, anyway).

Invisible Spell ends up creating a bunch of adjudication nightmares, though; this isn't even the worst offender.

Keneth
2013-03-29, 12:09 AM
I have no clue what you mean that the spell has no visual manifestation since a true seeing spell sees through it and shows your true form. The result of a spell is an effect of the spell (or else fireball doesn't really do anything).

Well, the effect of a fireball is a ball of flame that explodes. The result of a fireball is burns and stuff set on fire, both of which are visible. One could assume that the effect of a polymorph spell is whatever invisible force that transforms your body, and the result is the actual transformation.

I think that when you find out the inner workings of magic, you'll also find the answer to your question. But until then, it's whatever the DM thinks it is.

Also why would the invisibility end? Does the metamagic discharge somehow?

Because it's invisible spell, not improved invisible spell. :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2013-03-29, 12:14 AM
C: Something else?

The multiverse divides by zero. Roll five times on the Deck of Many Things table, once for reincarnate, thrice for teleport mishaps, and once for perils of the warp.

For everyone within 100 feet, of course.

:smallbiggrin:

More seriously, perhaps a variant of A; no one notices any visible change, except those using true seeing or see invisible, who see only your new form.

Alternatively, D: Any bits of your body that are changed or added are invisible, but the rest of you is not, which makes you look a bit like a survivor from the catastrophe above.

Deophaun
2013-03-29, 01:58 AM
It all hinges on what a "manifestation" is. And despite the fact that it talks about a fireballs "effects" being unseen as an example, keep in mind fireball doesn't have an effect line, so the term is not being used as the defined term.

I choose to interpret "manifestation" as an intermediary stage between the spell being cast and its end result. This is where you see the spell travel and coalesce into its final form and how you can tell from where it originates, but it does not include the final form itself. So, with polymorph, you'd imagine the standard operation would look like some kind of morphing effect, where the character grows into the object, or maybe its instant but accompanied by a puff of smoke. The invisible spell feat would eliminate those theatrics, and you'd just get the new form instantly popping in over the old like a bad effect out of an old Lost in Space episode.

There's no RAW to support this, as "manifestation" is not defined, but it eliminates silliness like invisible fog clouds and the polymorph problem, and I suspect it's RAI.

ddude987
2013-03-29, 06:58 AM
Groups I've player in have always made the ruling invisible spell makes the effects of a spell invosible . the first all result however is untouched. Invisible polymoroh would still make you what regular polymorph does as it has to visual effect when resolving.

Gotterdammerung
2013-03-29, 07:15 AM
A.) is the correct answer.

You want a really silly brain warping use of invisible spell?

What happens when you cast an Invisible spell Invisibility?

Well the effect of the invisibility is invisible, but what the hell does that mean?

Karnith
2013-03-29, 07:19 AM
An invisible invisibility spell means that you look normal under regular observation, but are invisible to anyone with see invisibility or true seeing up.

Which is I'm sure how it was intended to work.

Evard
2013-03-29, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=tuggyne;14987703]The multiverse divides by zero. Roll five times on the Deck of Many Things table, once for reincarnate, thrice for teleport mishaps, and once for perils of the warp.

For everyone within 100 feet, of course.

:smallbiggrin:

[QUOTE]

I like the way you think... I would take that any day of the week :D

Of course I'm the one that raises my hand when the DM says "who is pulling a card from the Deck of Many Things?"

allenw
2013-03-29, 07:25 AM
You want a really silly brain warping use of invisible spell?

Well the effect of the invisibility is invisible, but what the hell does that mean?

It means that you're *only* invisible to people who can see invisible things. Though if they have that ability twice, they can see you normally. :smallwink:

Evard
2013-03-29, 08:21 AM
So I've been looking for polymorph forms that would be fun to use with invisible spell and well I noticed something...

There really isn't a list of Dex based monsters to transform into.. I would love to have a huge dexterity score and be able to still cast my spells... But all the list I've founf is about pumping str and killing things that way.

Anyone know of such a list?

Invisible Polymorph + Ray Spells could get fun since one ally has true seeing on ALL the time but the others do not...

Phelix-Mu
2013-03-29, 08:22 AM
Truly, Invisible Spell is proof that, hidden within the 3e D&D ruleset is a secret message crafted by a time traveler from the future, sent to help us avert some unspeakable disaster yet to occur.

Cause, frankly, that would be more reasonable than a RAW interpretation of the feat.

Evard
2013-03-29, 08:30 AM
Truly, Invisible Spell is proof that, hidden within the 3e D&D ruleset is a secret message crafted by a time traveler from the future, sent to help us avert some unspeakable disaster yet to occur.

Cause, frankly, that would be more reasonable than a RAW interpretation of the feat.

I wonder which Doctor put the message there? Hmm perhaps it was River Song, yeah she is more apt to do that...

Bakeru
2013-03-29, 10:54 AM
I wonder which Doctor put the message there? Hmm perhaps it was River Song, yeah she is more apt to do that...If it was her, then Invisible Spell spells "Hello Sweetie".