PDA

View Full Version : Skale Lizardfolk, The Desert Tyrants (Poisoned World 3.5)

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 12:16 AM
Skale, The Desert Tyrants

http://i.imgur.com/BI4U7NR.jpg

After the giant empire fell, the skale were one of three species of lizardfolk living on Belladonis. As their masters fled from their death, the skale began slaughtering the other two species. In the disarray left by the giants, the extinction of the other two species was complete.

They call themselves the Skale the common tongue and favor themselves the future rulers of the world. They follow a violent society with a complex warrior hierarchy, led by the spiritual leaders of their clans.

Alignment:
Most Skale are neutral evil or chaotic evil. They have minds who view the world in a predatory way, seeing lesser races as mere food sources; with goblins begin the one exception. Perhaps the Goblin's greed, ambition and natural tendency of cruelty has impressed the Skale. Perhaps they see them as an emergency food supply.

Religion and Culture:
They have violent religions based on blood sacrifices. They believe the world has ended, and the gods demand that the world belongs to the lizardfolk. They sacrifice their captured slaves and their prisoners to a lizard god.

They seem to have been convinced that the goblins are their only true ally, but in reality the goblins intend on using them as an army for the goblin empire. Those who have displeased the leaders of the lizardfolk are given to the goblins as gifts of slaves in exchange for food and goods.

They are are known to show cannibalistic behaviors, often eating those of lesser rank when they are displeased or angered. Skale have short tempers and have trouble with remaining peaceful and at rest. Without the guidance of their spiritual leaders and their goblin allies, the Skale population would descend into bloody massacre and total madness.

Description:
The Skale are covered in thick scales, with horned hides. They are armed to the teeth with natural weapons. A skale lizardfolk is usually 10 to 10 1/2 feet tall with light tan, grey or even white scales. Its spiked tail is used for balance and offense, about 7 to 7 1/2 feet long in length. A skale lizardfolk can weigh from 3,500 to 3,800 pounds, extremely muscular and stocky in appearance.

Combat:
When alone, Skale Lizardfolk employ a charging slam, after which they attempt to drive targets into traps that they set around where they hunt. Skale in groups typically fight in threes, using two flanking individuals with one for frontal assault. If outnumbered or if their territory is being invaded, they set snares, plan ambushes, and make raids to hinder enemy supplies. Advanced tribes use more sophisticated tactics and have better traps and ambushes.

SKALE LIZARDFOLK AS CHARACTERS
Skale Lizardfolk characters possess the following racial traits.

+4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom:
Lizardfolk are strong and tough, but have slower minds and short tempers. They often are crude or even violent when they don't understand a new challenge.

Large Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian):
–1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

Space / Reach:
10 feet / 10 feet.

Movement Speeds:
A skale lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet. Also, a lizardfolk has a burrow speed of 20 ft.

Racial Hit Dice:
A lizardfolk begins with five levels of Monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.

Racial Skills:
A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 8 x (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Jump, and Swim.

Racial Feats:
A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it two feats.

Powerful Charge (Ex):
A Skale lizardfolk typically begins a battle by charging at an opponent, slamming their spiked body into their target. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the lizardfolk to make a single primary slam attack at full attack bonus that deals 3d6 points of piercing and bludgeoning damage.

Spiked Tail (Ex):
Because of their powerful tails, lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Jump, Swim, and Balance checks. They also have a natural tail attack. They can also perform trip attempts with their tails, sweeping their powerful tail, striking low at the target’s footing.

Spiked Hide (Ex):
Lizardfolk have thick hides with bony spikes covering them, proving them a +5 natural armor bonus and allows the lizardfolk to deal automatic 1d8 piercing damage on a successful grapple attack.

Weapon Familiarity (Ex):
The Lizardfolk treats Bolas and Nets as martial weapons. They Skale attempt to capture targets in combat if possible, using them for dark ritual sacrifices and as a food source.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.

Natural Weapons:
A primary tail slap (1d8 bludgeoning and piercing plus trip), two secondary Claws (1d6 Slashing), a secondary Bite (1d6 Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing).

Automatic Languages:
Skale

Bonus Languages:
Common, Giant, Goblin, and Terran

Favored Class:
Ranger or Warhulk

Level adjustment:
+0

Racial Class:

Skale Lizardfolk Base Racial Features

All of the following are base racial abilities for the skale.

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom.

Type: The skale are Monstrous Humanoids with the Reptilian subtype.

Weapon Familiarity (Ex): The skale treat Bolas and Nets as martial weapons.

Size: Skale are Medium size.

Speed: Skale base land speed is 30 feet.

Skill Bonuses: The skale's tail offers it a +4 racial bonus on Jump, Swim, and Balance checks.

Automatic Languages: Skale. Bonus Languages: Common, Giant, Goblin, and Terran

Favored Class: Ranger.

Skale racial class

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The skale's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Jump (Str), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Spiked Tail, Natural Armor

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|+2 Con, Claws

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Burrow, Spiked Hide

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|+2 Str, Bite

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Growth, Powerful Charge
[/TABLE]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the skale.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A skale is proficient with all simple weapons, and with it's natural weapons.

The skale are proficient with shields but no armor.

Ability Score Changes: The indicated ability score increases or decreases by the amount noted.

Spiked Tail (Ex): At 1st level, the skale gains a natural tail slap attack that deals 1d8 bludgeoning and piercing damage. The skale can also use it's tail to make trip attacks.

Natural Armor (Ex): At 1st level, the skale gains 1 point of natural armor. This increases by one point on each subsequent level, up to 5 points of natural armor.

Claws (Ex): At 2nd level, the skale gains a pair of claw attacks that it can use as secondary natural attacks. The claws deal 1d6 slashing and piercing damage.

Burrow (Ex): At 3rd level, the skale gains Burrow speed of 20 ft.

Spiked Hide (Ex): At 3rd level, the skale's thick hide grows bony spikes, allowing the skale to deal automatic 1d8 piercing damage on a successful grapple attack.

Bite (Ex): At 4th level, the skale gains a natural bite attack that it can use as secondary natural attacks. The bite deals 1d6 piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.

Growth (Ex): At 5th level, the skale becomes fully grown, and it's size changes to Large. Do not adjust the ability scores or natural weapon damage as normal.

Powerful Charge (Ex): At 5th level, the skale may make a single primary slam attack at full attack bonus that deals 3d6 points of piercing and bludgeoning damage when charging.

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 12:48 AM
I was working towards an armored burrowing spiky lizardfolk. It Keeps reminding me of Sandslash. :smallbiggrin:

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 04:52 PM
need some opinions on this race...

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 08:51 PM
I was working towards an armored burrowing spiky lizardfolk. It Keeps reminding me of Sandslash. :smallbiggrin:

Sandslash is awesome...

I'm not a fan of races with Level Adjustments, but I AM a fan of Lizardfolk. And this is an awesome idea. Just not one I would use.

Also, that picture kicks ass....

Greenish
2013-03-29, 09:04 PM
Also, that picture kicks ass....That it does.

What doesn't is two humanoid RHD (c'mon, not even monstrous humanoid?) and three bloody points of LA. It has some nice tricks, but in no way is it worth five whole levels.

What with poison, NA, burrow speed, Large size, and an array of natural weapons, if you were to chance some (or all) of the LA to RHD, with type changed to Monstrous Humanoid (normal humanoid HD are a joke), it'd make a nice bruiser type. Say, 3–4 RHD and 0 or 1 LA.

Draken
2013-03-29, 09:15 PM
That it does.

What doesn't is two humanoid RHD (c'mon, not even monstrous humanoid?) and three bloody points of LA. It has some nice tricks, but in no way is it worth five whole levels.

What with poison, NA, burrow speed, Large size, and an array of natural weapons, if you were to chance some (or all) of the LA to RHD, with type changed to Monstrous Humanoid (normal humanoid HD are a joke), it'd make a nice bruiser type. Say, 3–4 RHD and 0 or 1 LA.

Going to second this. as it stands, I think that 4 HD and 0 LA with monstrous humanoid HD would work best. Also maybe +4 Str. Large as they are but on average weaker than the common orc gives an odd impression.

Greenish
2013-03-29, 09:23 PM
Also maybe +4 Str. Large as they are but on average weaker than the common orc gives an odd impression.That might be advisable, but on the other hand, size alone gives you a decent bonus on most of the stuff tied to Str.

Now, why do we recommend RHD instead of LA? Well, think of this. Someone who picks Skale as her race probably does it because she wants to play a big, tough brute. But how do the current stats match that?

Let us assume that she puts 16 on her constitution (before the racial bonus). That would net her on average 20.5 hp on ECL 5. By comparison, a human sorcerer with 14 to constitution would have an average of 24 hp.

[Edit]: Also, given the predatory fluff and ranger as favoured class, Wisdom penalty may not be the best fit. Aside from, well, contemplative wisdom, it's also used to represent the natural cunning and situational awareness of creatures, which is why animals, for example, often have quite good Wisdom scores, despite their low Int and Cha.

eftexar
2013-03-29, 09:33 PM
I'm not too good with LA, but I do worry about that many natural weapons at such a low level. While plenty of races in core D&D are capable of such feats I've seen how unbalancing 3 or 4 attacks is in the first couple of levels.

I think limiting this race on how many natural attacks it can make is a good idea. Otherwise it will natural attack anything without a decent AC into oblivion in a single round.

Draken
2013-03-29, 09:33 PM
That might be advisable, but on the other hand, size alone gives you a decent bonus on most of the stuff tied to Str.

Now, why do we recommend RHD instead of LA? Well, think of this. Someone who picks Skale as her race probably does it because she wants to play a big, tough brute. But how do the current stats match that?

Let us assume that she puts 16 on her constitution (before the racial bonus). That would net her on average 20.5 hp on ECL 5. By comparison, a human sorcerer with 14 to constitution would have an average of 24 hp.

Only grapple and the base damage die of manufactured weapons. Attack rolls are worse overal due to the size penalty.

I would also consider a comparation to the standard lizardfolk. There is a very glaring potential issue with the natural weapons, namely, they do the same damage as those of the medium sized ones.

Other considerations:

Spiked Tail: Listing the natural attack here, without stats, is superfluous.

Spiked Hide: Similarly, natural armor usually has its own entry at the start of any race, and isn't included in extraordinaire qualities. I would also consider lowering the acid immunity to simple resistance, and streamlining the final effect to simply act as Armor Spikes (which will, incidentally, increase their damage to 1d8).

Greenish
2013-03-29, 09:43 PM
Only grapple and the base damage die of manufactured weapons. Attack rolls are worse overal due to the size penalty.I was more thinking of the typical feats of strength. Size increases carrying capacity and all combat maneuvers (and intimidate) directly.

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 09:45 PM
As stated above, I dislike the LA on races. So allow me to submit a Stunted Skale as a player character.

Of note, I'd change the size to medium.

STUNTED SKALE AS CHARACTERS
Lizardfolk characters possess the following racial traits.

+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom:
Stunted Skale are less physically suited for combat, but are no weaker than their cousins. Nor are they any smarter.

Movement Speeds:
A skale lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet. Also, a Skale has a burrow speed of 20 ft.

Powerful Charge (Ex):
A Skale lizardfolk typically begins a battle by charging at an opponent, slamming their spiked body into their target. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the lizardfolk to make a single primary slam attack at full attack bonus that deals 1d6 points of piercing and bludgeoning damage.

Spiked Tail (Ex):
Because of their powerful tails, lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Jump, Swim, and Balance checks. They also have a natural tail attack. They can also perform trip attempts with their tails, sweeping their powerful tail, striking low at the target’s footing.

Spiked Hide (Ex):
Lizardfolk have thick hides with bony spikes covering them, granting immunity to acid damage, proving them a +2 natural armor bonus.

Weapon Familiarity (Ex):
The Lizardfolk treats Bolas and Nets as martial weapons. They Skale attempt to capture targets in combat if possible, using them for dark ritual sacrifices and as a food source.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.

Natural Weapons:
A primary tail slap (1d6 bludgeoning and piercing plus trip), two secondary Claws (1d4 Slashing), a secondary Bite (1d4 Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing).

Automatic Languages:
Skale

Bonus Languages:
Common, Draconic, Goblin, Orc, or Terran

Favored Class:
Barbarian

I would recommend changing the normal Skale's favored class to Barbarian as well.

But anyway, what'd you think of that as a player race with 0 LA?

Greenish
2013-03-29, 09:54 PM
Well, aside from having a rather large array of natural weapons for it's level, it seems… well, stunted. It doesn't have that big hulking mountain of sharp scales, massed muscles, and boundless hate that the full-scale (heh) version does.

Honestly, I'd rather see the race with the size and the bonuses, with a chunk of (decent) RHD, and then a racial class for playing from level 1.

[Edit]: Though I do notice they're sort of tiny for nominally Large creatures:
A lizardfolk is usually 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 feet tall with light tan, grey or even white scales. Its spiked tail is used for balance and offense, about 5 to 6 feet long in length. A lizardfolk can weigh from 220 to 280 pounds.Copy-paste error?

Octopusapult
2013-03-29, 10:01 PM
Well, aside from having a rather large array of natural weapons for it's level, it seems… well, stunted. It doesn't have that big hulking mountain of sharp scales, massed muscles, and boundless hate that the full-scale (heh) version does.

Honestly, I'd rather see the race with the size and the bonuses, with a chunk of (decent) RHD, and then a racial class for playing from level 1.

That was a quick attempt at it. All I really did was change a few numbers and remove the pieces that felt like it would be tossed up to LA+1. But I guess it's a matter of personal preference isn't it? I'm not a fan of large sized races or level adjustments.

eftexar
2013-03-29, 10:02 PM
I've seen a lot LAs thrown around and looking at the monster manual I don't see why this couldn't pass as +1, maybe with a reduction to 2d6, instead of 3d6, for it's slam attack.
While any more might stunt my progression in an actual class, a +1 to play a hulking scaled lizard with armor spikes than can spit acid hardly seems unfair and a +1 doesn't stop me from playing it at first level.
Or, instead of weakening, or upping the race, why not create a scaling one? I remember seeing a few templates that scale with HD.

Draken
2013-03-29, 10:03 PM
I was more thinking of the typical feats of strength. Size increases carrying capacity and all combat maneuvers (and intimidate) directly.

I believe that combat maneuvers here is Pathfinder terminology. It exists in 3.5 as well, but listed as a bonus relative to size difference only, for some inane reason known only to the developers, I suppose.

Either way, I will agree with this. The intent is clearly a creature that, from the get-go, is superior to the standard lizarfolk as an untrained adult.

Greenish
2013-03-29, 10:05 PM
That was a quick attempt at it. All I really did was change a few numbers and remove the pieces that felt like it would be tossed up to LA+1. But I guess it's a matter of personal preference isn't it? I'm not a fan of large sized races or level adjustments.I'm not a great fan of LA either, but I do like large creatures, and RHD (in creature types for whom it doesn't suck) doesn't bother me that much, especially since for homebrew, you can go the extra mile and make a racial class at the same time.

For casters, obviously, that sucks, but for non-casters, that can be a very attractive option.

[Edit]:
I believe that combat maneuvers here is Pathfinder terminology. It exists in 3.5 as well, but listed as a bonus relative to size difference only, for some inane reason known only to the developers, I suppose.No, I'm thinking 3.5. As you point out, +1 size category always means +4 to all combat maneuvers (and intimidate), even if they're not always worded like that.

eftexar
2013-03-29, 10:20 PM
I'm the Invisible Man.

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 10:21 PM
Okay, upped strength to +4 and changed its type to monstrous humanoid.

4 RHD and LA +1

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 10:24 PM
maybe with a reduction to 2d6, instead of 3d6, for it's slam attack.

4d6 for a large minotaur.

figuring its because of the giant horns. 3d6 is fine.

Greenish
2013-03-29, 10:26 PM
Okay, upped strength to +4 and changed its type to monstrous humanoid.

4 RHD and LA +1That's not too bad. Are you planning on making a racial class for it? If not, I could try giving it a shot.

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 10:29 PM
That's not too bad. Are you planning on making a racial class for it? If not, I could try giving it a shot.

like my past works, Xenomorphs and Yautja?

Greenish
2013-03-29, 10:36 PM
like my past works, Xenomorphs and Yautja?Not familiar with those (and the link in your signature stopped working with the forum search function), but I mean like Savage Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) or Savage Species monster classes.

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 10:40 PM
Not familiar with those (and the link in your signature stopped working with the forum search function), but I mean like Savage Progressions (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) or Savage Species monster classes.

i was aware of that.

ah. well, if you wish. feel free to do it here, I may end up using it if its awesome.

Greenish
2013-03-29, 11:30 PM
Actually, I'm a lazy guy, and it's kinda late here, so I'm going to do it with 5 RHD and 0 LA.

Skale Lizardfolk Base Racial Features

All of the following are base racial abilities for the skale.

Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom.

Type: The skale are Monstrous Humanoids with the Reptilian subtype.

Weapon Familiarity (Ex): The skale treat Bolas and Nets as martial weapons.

Size: Skale are Medium size.

Speed: Skale base land speed is 30 feet.

Skill Bonuses: The skale's tail offers it a +4 racial bonus on Jump, Swim, and Balance checks.

Resistances (Ex): A skale starts play with resistance 5 to acid.

Automatic Languages: Skale. Bonus Languages: Common, Goblin.

Favored Class: Ranger.

Skale racial class

Hit Die
d8.

Class Skills
The skale's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Jump (Str), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Spiked Tail, Natural Armor

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|+2 Con, Spiked Hide, Claws

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Burrow, Powerful Charge

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|+2 Str, Growth, Bite

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|Venom Spray, Immunity to Acid
[/TABLE]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the skale.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A skale is proficient with all simple weapons, and with it's natural weapons.

The skale are proficient with shields but no armor.

Ability Score Changes: The indicated ability score increases or decreases by the amount noted.

Spiked Tail (Ex): At 1st level, the skale gains a natural tail slap attack that deals 1d8 bludgeoning and piercing damage. The skale can also use it's tail to make trip attacks.

Natural Armor (Ex): At 1st level, the skale gains 1 point of natural armor. This increases by one point on each subsequent level, up to 5 points of natural armor.

Spiked Hide (Ex): At 2nd level, the skale's thick hide grows bony spikes, allowing the skale to deal automatic 1d8 piercing damage on a successful grapple attack.

Claws (Ex): At 2nd level, the skale gains a pair of claw attacks that it can use as secondary natural attacks. The claws deal 1d6 slashing and piercing damage.

Burrow (Ex): At 3rd level, the skale gains Burrow speed of 20 ft.

Powerful Charge (Ex): At 3rd level, the skale may make a single primary slam attack at full attack bonus that deals 3d6 points of piercing and bludgeoning damage when charging.

Growth (Ex): At 4th level, the skale becomes fully grown, and it's size changes to Large. Do not adjust the ability scores or natural weapon damage as normal.

Bite (Ex): At 4th level, the skale gains a natural bite attack that it can use as secondary natural attacks. The bite deals 1d6 piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.

Venom Spray (Ex): At 5th level, the skale gains the ability to squirt poison as a ranged touch attack. As a standard action, the skale sprays poison up to 10 feet away. The poison effects on contact; save Fortitude DC (10+1/2 racial HD + Con modifier); frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1 Con damage plus 1 Dex damage per 4 HD beyond 1st (5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th); cure 1 save).

Immunity to Acid(Ex): At 5th level, the skale becomes immune to acid.

So, I think I got everything basically as it is. It's not exactly like I'd've made it (the slam attack on charge is pretty weird, for one, and the poison seems to follow different rules from the standard, which is why I left it mostly untouched), but it should be serviceable.

[Edit]: Reptilian subtype technically only applies to humanoids, but oh well.

LordErebus12
2013-03-29, 11:54 PM
there you go, its posted and mine is reflected in changes.

Greenish
2013-03-30, 12:01 AM
Description:
The Skale are covered in thick scales, with horned hides. They are armed to the teeth with natural weapons and can squirt potent poison from their mouths to weaken their enemies. A lizardfolk is usually 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 feet tall with light tan, grey or even white scales. Its spiked tail is used for balance and offense, about 5 to 6 feet long in length. A lizardfolk can weigh from 420 to 480 pounds.Still quite on the small side for Large creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat). With those stats, you might consider slapping Slight Build on them. It'd allow them to move in restricted spaces more easily, but wouldn't really match the fluff.

Racial Hit Dice:
A lizardfolk begins with four levels of Monstrous humanoid, which provide 5d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +5, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.Typo.

LordErebus12
2013-03-30, 01:03 AM
Still quite on the small side for Large creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat). With those stats, you might consider slapping Slight Build on them. It'd allow them to move in restricted spaces more easily, but wouldn't really match the fluff.

Typo.

fixed. 10 - 10 1/2 ft.; 3500 - 3800 lbs.

fixed.