PDA

View Full Version : No wizards e6 game

Yogibear41
2013-03-29, 12:50 AM
Working on a e6 setting where wizards have been effectively wiped out do to a general fear/lack of arcane magic basically no one to teach them to be what they are. However I plan to have sorcerers present do to their innate ability to manifest and cast spells without being specifically taught how to do so (do to their draconic heritage however distant or small that might be, dragons will be the original source of arcane magic in this setting, with the greatest and oldest dragons essentially being equal to the lesser gods that provide the world with divine magic, they will also be rivals in away still working on the details for this)

however, I also like the idea of having spells as a rare form of treasure, for a simple comparison think word walls from skyrim. But according to the players handbook a sorcerer can only learn new spells as he levels up and not from other sources as a wizard does.

Basically what I'm asking is does anyone see a problem with me allowing sorcerers to add new spells know to their spell lists if they find said spells as treasure. Keep in mind that I plan to have these spells only in specific types of locations so depending on how the group plays the extra spells could be slightly more frequent or never encountered at all.

On another note I had planned to house rule druids and clerics to work the same way as sorceres only gaining 2 new spells per level, but also getting the cure/inflict wounds spells or summon natures ally spells for free without counting against there 2 learned. In exchange for this I will change them to spontaneous casters.

Drelua
2013-03-29, 01:15 AM
I don't think it would be overpowered at all, but it seems to me like the other players might feel a bit left out when the sorcerer gets a special type of treasure that only he can use. What I might do instead is make a single-use item that gives a low-level SLA useable 1/day or 1/encounter. That way no one feels left out, and mundanes get a few more options in or out of combat.

ArcturusV
2013-03-29, 01:20 AM
I mean the concept isn't bad. But I do think this should be something that's an "Any Class" sort of ability. I think a good basis for this might be the Exalted/Vile spells. These spells that normally are open to any prepared caster of an appropriate alignment, and usually have some alternate cost to using them.

Make it so anyone, the Fighter, the Sorcerer, whatever, can use them. Awakening the Dragonblood in them or something. So you get a SLA that might drain something like 1d2 Con points when used. Since ability damage is hard to heal in E6, short of natural rest for 1/day, this means you don't necessarily have to per day cap them. Let them use it however much they want to risk damaging their stats.

Which could be a fun mechanic. And could get these spells to feel more like lost, forbidden magic knowledge rather than just simple spells, exactly like any other spell.

Larkas
2013-03-29, 02:46 AM
And your answer is... Knowstones! They are little bead-like items that, when attuned to (a 24-hour process), effectively add a spell from your class's list to your list of spells known. They are somewhat expensive ((spell level^2)*1000 gp), but you can attune to any number of Knowstones at any time.

They can be found in a Dragon Magazine. I reckon you can probably find out which issue using DragonDex.