PDA

View Full Version : An unbreakable defense (PF)

1Thunder1
2013-03-29, 12:56 AM
Okay, I am playing a theoretical game of Pathfinder/DnD 3.5 PvP with a friend of mine. I know that PvP in PF is widely inaccurate, random, ect... but we are doing it anyway. We are having a normal DM help us on rules and such. He has allowed my friend to use a hexblade variant (easily found with any hexblade searching).

An odd ability this hexblade gets is Arcane Resistance. This ability gives him his charisma modifier times 2 added to his saves against spells and spell-like abilities. This will net out +16ish to saves against spells at level 10 (the level we chose for PvP). I am challenging his hexblade with an oracle. I also noticed that he will also be using Dire Curse (A monstrous -6 on basically everything). He has always played hexblades, so I know he will probably also be using the Dark Companion familiar Variant (another -2 on basically everything)

My question is, at level 10, is it even possible to get around this kind of defense? I mean obviously the only defense I could possibly get around is AC, but how can an oracle win in melee combat with at least -5 on attacks vs. a full BAB class?

The Defense
Guessed Saves
Will: 21 (7 + 16 - 2 poor wisdom)
Fort: 28 (7 + 16 + 5 really good con)
Ref: 22 (3 + 16 + 3 good dex)

Guessed AC 19
Mithral Breastplate: 6
Dexterity: 3

Other:
possible cloak of resistance +5
possible SR of 21 (11 + character level)
possible piercing hex feat (half hexblade's curse goes through on a save)
possible displacement spell (along with aura of unluck)

StreamOfTheSky
2013-03-29, 08:24 AM
So, he's got hexblade 4+, and at least 2 in one of the non-Lawful Good Paladin variants for the double cha to saves, I take it?

That means he also has Mettle, and if he's serious about defense, he likely also dipped for Evasion. I would like to know how he's got Dire Curse at 10th level w/ multiclassing... oh well.

The obvious answer is to stick to spells that don't allow saves. If you insist on Oracle, be a Samsaran to add more spells to your list w/ Mystic Past Life. Or, assuming the cloak that increases sorc level by 4 (cloak of arcane heritage?) for bloodline features helps with feat qualification... be a Half-Elf, grab the amazing Paragon Surge spell. You now have access to any cleric/oracle spell you can cast via Expanded Arcana feat. Take Eldritch Heritage (Arcane bloodline) feat, and pull off an effective 11th level, and you can now use Paragon Surge for Improved EH (Arcane bloodline) to also access any sorc/wiz spell you can cast.

These tricks are to allow you access to no save spells to win the fight with.

One thing that also seems obvious to me is... how is HE expecting to defeat you? Sounds like he's investing an awful lot in defense, and hexblade is a sucky class. If you simply fly or air walk... can he even really hurt you? You might be able to win just by laying down damage over time and movement restricting battlefield control spells while you hover in the air laughing...

1Thunder1
2013-03-29, 10:55 AM
He was allowed to use this hexblade variant (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Hexblade,_Variant_(3.5e_Class)) which is far more powerful than the normal Hexblade, allowing all of these features mentioned with just one class.

We played out round 1 now, I got stomped pretty bad. He didn't even have to attack me directly. He used the Winter Wolf Improved familiar and Imperious Command from DnD 3.5. I never got to even move, I was cowering the entire time, while his winter wolf beat on me.

And how does taking Eldritch Heritage give effective 11th level? I thought Arcane just gave a bond at that level (besides I was already using that feat to get the little dino familiar that gives +4 Initiative)

Does a half-elf qualify for Ancient Lorekeeper Archtype? I was using it for some better spells

Ravenica
2013-03-29, 12:11 PM
if you're allowed to use broken homebrew stop looking in the offical books for your counter... you won't find one

Hell go for dragon rider or something equally ridiculous

Daftendirekt
2013-03-29, 12:25 PM
First words on that page: "This page is of questionable balance. Reason: a bonus shouldn't be higher than a good base save for anything."

1Thunder1
2013-03-29, 12:36 PM
oh, missed that... thank you

Treblain
2013-03-29, 12:37 PM
His save bonus only applies to spells, so how about poison, or fear effects, with the same Imperious Command against his probably-low Will?

And considering that's it's possible to make that same character but stronger legally in 3.5, (something like Hexblade 4/Paladin of Slaughter 2/Suel Arcanamach 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword 1/Blackguard 2/whatever... can get you CHA 3X to saves, mettle, and evasion from incarnum feats, plus better casting) I don't think the homebrew is that bad before the ridiculous 20th level boost.

mattie_p
2013-03-29, 12:38 PM
Curse apparently only affects you if you are closer than 60 feet. Solution, stay more than 60 feet away. (Hint, learn to fly).

Arcane resistance and Mettle combine to boost saves and reduce/eliminate effects with a save. Solution, use no-save spells.

I'd go with a fell-drain (Libris Mortis feat) metamagic sorcerer, casting orbs (no save, no SR) at the hexblade while flying at 70 feet or so.

StreamOfTheSky basically covered this already, and how to win if you stay oracle.