PDA

View Full Version : [3.X/PF] Mitagating Factors for Item Builds?

Lawst
2013-03-29, 04:00 AM
Hey all, I'm a DM looking for ways to build interesting items and hoping to find some help. Any and all advice is welcome, for my skills in the ways of Google have brought me nil on the subject.

Trying to figure out a cost system for constructing magic items that allows for drawbacks to be built into the item. For example, the +1 weapon ability that grants 2d6 damage to target, but also backlashes the wielder for an additional d6. There are other various abilities that grant +d6 damage at a +1 without a backlash. From this can we derive that if the initial effect is doubled, and you take an equivalent initial effect as penalty, is it the same cost? Does this work the +# abilities for weapons and armor? And what about other style of items?

So say you wanted to build an item that granted +4 STR but reduced your Dex by -2... A +4 STR item normally costs 16,000. Using the above system, if we take a -2 Dex does that make it only cost what a +2 STR would cost (i.e. 4,000)? That doesn't seem to work in my mind, but I could be wrong.

Or would it be more effective to subtract the cost of the negative ability, or half the negative ability. Using the same example above (+4 STR, -2 DEX), to completely subtract the cost we would get 12k (16-4), and for half we would get 14k (16-2). I guess the real question is what is the value of decreasing ability scores?

And then from there, being inflicted with spells/abilities whilst gaining the benefits/effects of other spells/abilities? Would you take the cost of one spell/ability and subtract it from the other, or half? This second part is what I'm really after, but I thought trying to think in straight numbers like ability scores would help give a base to work from.

Hope my questions aren't lost in lack of clarity. Again, your contemplations and thoughts are appreciated.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-03-29, 04:36 PM
The rules already allow for items with drawbacks or penalties. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm They're considered awful because in a D&D setting you can get perfectly working magic items by paying eough money to anyone able to craft them. If your setting has less predictable magic, then it's definitely an interesting system to consider.

I think it would be best to just determine the price based on the advantages, and then reduce the price by 10% to 30% depending on how severe the drawbacks are. So a belt of ogre strength and intellect that grants +2 Str and -2 Int and Cha would have a base price of 4,000 gp, and the drawback would drop the price by 10% (a minor drawback because most warriors wouldn't mind it) to 3,600 gp.

Ultimately this is subjective. Warriors don't care about mental drawbacks, and mages don't care about Strength penalties. The best guideline for pricing magic items is, "how expensive can I make it while still making PCs want it?" It's simplest to ask yourself, "would a fighter, rogue, cleric, or wizard want this the most?" and then compare it to similar items appealing to the same role in different price ranges.

Also, as the GM, you don't care very much about these prices. Magic item prices are only useful to the GM for the sake of estimating appropriate rewards (according to the rules, you only generate them as Minor, Medium, and Major) and sometimes if crafting gets involved (and I highly recommend you make crafting materials rare enough that the PCs need to go on an adventure just to find specific ones they want). The PCs are usually going to get these as treasure, not buy them. If they sell them, you get to decide how much the merchants will buy them for with their flaws. If the PCs choose to lie about the items' drawbacks then you, as the GM, get to decide what happens when someone finds out. If you accidentally give the PCs something too powerful then you can always throw slightly stronger monsters at them and keep the XP rewards the same (they likely will not notice).

I recommend you simply classify them as Minor, Medium, and Major, and don't worry too much about the price until the PCs try to sell them. Magic items are expensive, finding a buyer will take some time in-game which you can use to decide how much gold you want the PCs to get for it.

I would also like to add that I recommend you not give out items with flat bonuses. They're just not as interesting. It's one thing to have a +1 flaming longsword, but it's totally different to have a longsword that, on a critical hit, turns into pure flame and lands touch attacks for 2d4 rounds. Potions and oils also have their place for flat bonuses.