PDA

View Full Version : Random questions about 3.5 combat manuevers.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-29, 11:25 AM
So, in a play-by-post I have two questions abut how combat maneuvers work, but I couldn't find any answers to them with a quick google search. So I turned to the playground for answers.

Situation 1:
Warforged A makes a trip attempt against Warforged B. Warforged A has a +5 bonus, Warforged B has a +2 bonus. They both roll a total of 7.

Who wins the trip attempt?

Situation 2:
Warforged A makes a disarm attempt against Warforged B. Warforged A rolls a natural 1 on his opposed attack roll.

Does the attempt automatically fail, or does Warforged B still have to make the opposed roll?

Situation 3:
Warforged B provokes an AOO from Warforged A. Warforged A can make a trip or disarm check at that time instead of a normal melee attack, correct?

Gwendol
2013-03-29, 11:36 AM
1: A wins, has higher modifier.

2: opposed check so B still has to roll.

3: yes, he can trip, disarm, grapple, etc instead of a regular attack.

Namfuak
2013-03-29, 11:42 AM
1. It's unclear in the trip description, but in the grapple description it says the person with the higher grapple modifier wins on the opposed grapple check. I would guess this still applies to other opposed checks (it's the same for opposed skill checks as well).

2. Yes, the attack fails like a normal attack does on a 1. EDIT: I read the post above me, I thought you meant the initial attack. 1s are not special on opposed checks.

3. Yes, since they are attack actions.

Callin
2013-03-29, 11:48 AM
1: B wins. A rolls to set the DC that B has to meet or beat.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-29, 11:59 AM
Conflicting information ftw. :smalltongue:

Callin
2013-03-29, 12:06 PM
If your attack succeeds, make a Strength check opposed by the
defender’s Dexterity or Strength check (whichever ability score has
the higher modifier).

Way me and my group have always read that was that your roll is the DC that your opponent "Opposes". Yes it favors the defender but you are not always the attacker :smallbiggrin:

Diarmuid
2013-03-29, 12:56 PM
My group also uses the "attacker sets the DC" method for opposed rolls, but with the Grapple rule for ties, I think that's probably a better way to handle it. I was not aware of that and will bring it up with my group.

Daftendirekt
2013-03-29, 12:56 PM
My group has always done "tie goes to the defender". Now that the subject is brought up, I don't know if it's in the rules somewhere or if we just did it because.

HunterOfJello
2013-03-29, 01:12 PM
Situation 1:

All About Trip Attacks (Part One) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060307a)

Opposed Check: A check whose success or failure depends on another check, usually from a foe. The two check results are compared, and the higher check result wins the opposed check. If the two check results are tied, the character with the higher check modifier wins the opposed check. If both the check modifiers are tied as well, reroll to resolve the opposed check. Continue rerolling as often as you must to determine who wins the opposed check.

In this situation, the person with the higher modifier wins.

~~~~~~~~~

Situation 2:

If you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll you automatically miss whatever you're trying to hit. The situation of what you're using to attack and what you're trying to hit are irrelevant. You can miss hitting a brick wall with a headbutt if you roll a natural 1.

~~~~~~~~~

Situation 3:

Both Trip and Disarm have a superscript note of 28 in the Rules Compendium. That means the following text applies to both of them:

28 This attack form substitutes for a melee attack. As such,
it can be used once in an attack or charge, or one or
more times during a full attack. It can even be used as
an attack of opportunity.

Grapple, Sunder weapon, and Sunder object also happen to contain this superscript note.

It's also worth noting that some of these provoke attacks of opportunity, so choosing to do them can give your opponent an attack of opportunity before you get your attack of opportunity in. (And there are also ways for you to get in an attack of opportunity before that! How fun!) That can make choosing to do a Disarm attempt during an AoO, instead of just doing a normal attack, quite unwise

Callin
2013-03-29, 01:15 PM
Situation 1:

All About Trip Attacks (Part One) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060307a)

In this situation, the person with the higher modifier wins.

Huh ya learn something new everyday i guess.