PDA

View Full Version : Chain Spell

Evard
2013-03-29, 01:52 PM
Soo I have a few questions on chain spell.

1: Can a ranged touch attack be chained? I think they can but not sure if there was a ruling on this.

2: If a spell such as enervation is cast via chain spell, is the negative levels considered "damage"? If it is (which I don't think it is) would fell weaken then work off enervation?

3: What is the best spells to chain spell?

Karnith
2013-03-29, 02:03 PM

1: Can a ranged touch attack be chained? I think they can but not sure if there was a ruling on this.
Yes, a ranged touch attack has a range greater than touch, so ray spells can be modified with the Chain Spell metamagic feat.

2: If a spell such as enervation is cast via chain spell, is the negative levels considered "damage"? If it is (which I don't think it is) would fell weaken then work off enervation?
No, the spell enervation (and spells like it) does not deal damage, and therefore is not suitable for modification by the Fell X line of feats.

You can get around this restriction with the feat Black Lore of Moil (from Complete Arcane), however. It allows necromancy spells to be cast as Moilian spells, which deal extra negative energy damage when modified with special bonerune material components. This was the method that Akakrin (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=7809), a character built around abusing metamagic'd enervations, used.

Enervation, as you've already guessed, is a good one. The Orb of X spells, from Complete Arcane/Spell Compendium, are also good choices, particularly Orb of Force (because there are so few creatures immune or resistant to force damage, and because it ignores incorporeality) and Orb of Fire (useful when combined with the metamagic feat Searing Spell, which partially ignores immunity and resistance to fire).

EDIT: I am all kinds of wrong today.

Evard
2013-03-29, 02:33 PM
Yes, a ranged touch attack has a range greater than touch, so ray spells can be modified with the Chain Spell metamagic feat.

No, the spell enervation (and spells like it) does not deal damage, and therefore is not suitable for modification by the Fell X line of feats.

You can get around this restriction with the feat Black Lore of Moil (from Complete Arcane), however. It allows necromancy spells to be cast as Moilian spells, which deal extra negative energy damage when modified with special bonerune material components. This was the method that Akakrin (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=7809), a character built around abusing metamagic'd enervations, used.

Enervation, as you've already guessed, is a good one. The Orb of X spells, from Complete Arcane/Spell Compendium, are also good choices, particularly Orb of Force (because there are so few creatures immune or resistant to force damage, and because it ignores incorporeality) and Orb of Fire (useful when combined with the metamagic feat Searing Spell, which partially ignores immunity and resistance to fire).

As I thought, thank you.

I wasn't sure if negative energy damage was ever ruled to count as damage.

Deophaun
2013-03-29, 03:21 PM
This is not why ray spells cannot be Chained. Ray spells cannot be Chained because they do not specify a single target (e.g. Target: One creature). Instead, they specify an effect (e.g. Effect: Ray). The only exception I know of is rust ray, which has both an effect and a single target. But Chained enervation? No.

DarthCyberWolf
2013-03-29, 03:33 PM
Here's another question: How would a Chained Trap the Soul work?
Would you need one gem per target, one large gem for all of them (and if one target makes its save and the gem shatters, what happens to the other targets)?

Deophaun
2013-03-29, 04:00 PM
By RAW you'd just need one gem worth 1000 gp per HD of the biggest creature (as it doesn't say 1000 gp per HD trapped). Using a single gem makes it a terrible candidate for Chain Spell, as a single successful saving throw releases every target.

mregecko
2013-03-29, 07:26 PM

1: No you can't. Chain Spell requires targeted spells. Rays don't have a target entry, they have an Effect: Ray entry. For the same reason that spell turning doesn't work, you cannot chain a Ray. You have to use Split Ray metamagic.

2: See (#1). Anywho, fell weaken only works off spells that do DAMAGE. Not ability damage/drain, not negative levels, HP damage.

3: My favorite spell to Chain is Dispel Magic. It's a 3rd level spell, so a lesser chaining rod can do it, and with one casting you can target every item on an opponent. Have fun with no magic items for 1d4 rounds. For bonus points, Maximize it (4 rounds guaranteed) and/or follow up with Shatters.

-- Mr