PDA

View Full Version : D&D Demotivators Episode VII: BigHugeLabs STILL Doesn't Store Images

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

DracoDei
2013-12-19, 02:57 AM
dangit scow I was right in the middle of arguing that catfolk can be a respectable race and not something "mature" (spelled "hey look they're naked!")

FWIW, I second Monochrome Tiger's general sentiment.

Scow2
2013-12-19, 03:38 AM
dangit scow I was right in the middle of arguing that catfolk can be a respectable race and not something "mature" (spelled "hey look they're naked!")They are still respectable, regardless of what they're wearing or not. Unlike other races.

Marnath
2013-12-19, 03:54 AM
They are still respectable, regardless of what they're wearing or not.

It's pretty common for Americans to not know there's a difference between nudity and sexuality.

ShadowFireLance
2013-12-19, 04:40 AM
It's pretty common for Americans to not know there's a difference between nudity and sexuality.

HEY.

That's not nice!

Marnath
2013-12-19, 04:54 AM
HEY.

That's not nice!

I'm an American myself. It's not an insult, it's just true.

thorr-kan
2013-12-19, 11:29 AM
Demotivate THIS!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/thorr-kan/Demotivators/FlowerPowerDemotivator.jpg
No. You can't play a Malakite of Novalis with a Boomstick.

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/flowershells-let-plant-garden-shotgun/

Slipperychicken
2013-12-19, 01:13 PM

It's more that some of us (i.e. conservative nutjobs) seem to think that anyone who sees a naked lady before the age of 18 is going to become some kind of psychopathic rapist-murderer.

There's also an element that, if you're exposing children to nudity or sexual content (unless you're a parent giving "the talk", of course) in the US, people are going to think you're a pedophile trying to seduce them (or corrupt them into becoming psychopathic rapist-murderers). Even public sexual education programs are often criticized on these grounds.

Since putting something out in public practically guarantees exposure to at least some children, "protecting the children" is the usual rationale for things like people who spend $8,000 of taxpayer money to cover up a statue's titties (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/01/29/statues.htm).

Spore
2013-12-19, 01:45 PM
If I am reading and hearing conversations like this, a question comes to mind: We have come a long way from Ancient Greece and their opinion of nudity. What happened along the way? As I see it, sexualisation of nudity largely depends on the average temperature of the society you live in. If it is constantly warm outside (Spain, Hawaii, Indonesia etc.), showing a little skin is mundane and nothing special. If it is cold in your country and you see a little skin, you jump to the conclusion that she/he wants the sex. (Middle East and other areas with extreme heat inverse that because you burn alive if you don't wear your heavy clothing.)

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Female+Armour.+Super+simple+stuff_50d06c_3949682.j pg

Necroticplague
2013-12-19, 03:24 PM
If I am reading and hearing conversations like this, a question comes to mind: We have come a long way from Ancient Greece and their opinion of nudity. What happened along the way? As I see it, sexualisation of nudity largely depends on the average temperature of the society you live in. If it is constantly warm outside (Spain, Hawaii, Indonesia etc.), showing a little skin is mundane and nothing special. If it is cold in your country and you see a little skin, you jump to the conclusion that she/he wants the sex. (Middle East and other areas with extreme heat inverse that because you burn alive if you don't wear your heavy clothing.)

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Female+Armour.+Super+simple+stuff_50d06c_3949682.j pg

The English spread over a good chunk of the world and left colonies everywhere is what happened, bringing their taboos and feelings about clothing with them. Note the Victoria era and that obsession with prudence in the open. Plus, male dominance of society happened, which involved controlling women in several ways, including sexual propriety and dress, with a built in assumption that one willing to break the latter will break the former. You are pretty right about inverse ratio of normal clothing to nudity attraction though. Nice pic for the armor. It even solves the annoying "rebounds towards heart" problem with that giant cross-like thing (is that a sister of battle?).

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-19, 09:32 PM
The English spread over a good chunk of the world and left colonies everywhere is what happened, bringing their taboos and feelings about clothing with them. Note the Victoria era and that obsession with prudence in the open. Plus, male dominance of society happened, which involved controlling women in several ways, including sexual propriety and dress, with a built in assumption that one willing to break the latter will break the former. You are pretty right about inverse ratio of normal clothing to nudity attraction though. Nice pic for the armor. It even solves the annoying "rebounds towards heart" problem with that giant cross-like thing (is that a sister of battle?).

inquisition seal, white hair, bolter pistol, most likely sister of battle. personally it's not the lack of clothing it's the fact that attention is intentionally drawn to the lack of clothing. if it's just there then fine, they're naked, whatever. but if there's big block letters intentionally pointing out "they're not wearing clothes, did you notice they're not wearing clothes? cause they're not wearing clothes" it becomes an intentional controversy thing.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-19, 10:23 PM
it becomes an intentional controversy thing.

I thought the controversy was about a perception that women in fantasy are being portrayed as sex objects rather than complete/well-rounded characters.

Pictures like that (i.e. all the "female armor" ones) don't create the problem, they just make you aware of it.

dehro
2013-12-20, 12:14 AM
This. Also because I can remember very few instances aside from your traditional single tit flaunting Amazon, in which female warriors were actually ever described as wearing the equivalent of chainmail bikinis.
So it's either a matter of the artist representing visually his perception of the role of the character, a romance interest with some fighting skills but no real purpose behind them, or it's the author obeying to the traditional eye-catching technique of showing some cleavage on the cover to attract the reader's attention. This tradition is nothing new. Damsels in distress and love interests have forever been the subject of cover art on crime stories, action capers etc., down to the female oriented version of ripped half naked male torsos on the covers of most romance novels. Ultimately, it works. Just like it works to usually have pretty people acting in tv adverts.
The only difference is that fantasy readers are, in substantial proportion, geeks, who notice these things to the point of obsessing over details, who lament the lack of realism and practicality and common sense, because in fantasy, uniquelly across the literary genres, "clothing" serves additional functions other than covering up and/or sensually revealing.

Scow2
2013-12-20, 12:45 AM
Or maybe it has something to do with high competency-combat being a martial Art - and being naked/near naked can have an enormous impact on someone's artistic ability (I'm not sure why, but there are several famous artists who worked best when nude, and personally, I've found that being in a state of undress allows me to draw much better pictures than the frustration-ruined scribbles I get when clothed).

The near-nudity inspiration is something Barbarians recognize, and is a big reason they're better fighters than Fighters are in D&D.

dehro
2013-12-20, 03:46 AM
Or maybe it has something to do with high competency-combat being a martial Art - and being naked/near naked can have an enormous impact on someone's artistic ability (I'm not sure why, but there are several famous artists who worked best when nude, and personally, I've found that being in a state of undress allows me to draw much better pictures than the frustration-ruined scribbles I get when clothed).

The near-nudity inspiration is something Barbarians recognize, and is a big reason they're better fighters than Fighters are in D&D.

I seriously doubt this to be the case, not even should Larry Elmore actually paint in the buff himself :smalleek:
it's not a case of fighting in light armor to favour mobility and elaborate techniques/spiritual connection to your craft as much as a case of random and often pointless placement of substantial bits of armor which often couldn't stay where they are if you actually tried to move in them, opposed by large areas of sexually charged nudity exposing vital organs that need protection a whole lot more than your shoulder or your shins, which are covered by 3 inches of steel by virtue of the fact that nobody cares to look at them as much as they care to look at cleavage, legs or bums.

that said:
http://31.media.tumblr.com/72781d35f61f8d9098242296d249c4dd/tumblr_mkpahcW3ev1s755fuo1_500.jpg

SiuiS
2013-12-20, 04:14 AM
Because I don't see a ring system in the first, or any planets being pulled apart, whereas I do see them in the second one, where it's simply Saturn and Jupiter colliding. :smallconfused:

Planet being pulled apart by a star.

Hmm... I might as well try putting something in here.

http://i.imgur.com/YO5Mt4H.jpg

Character ideas: +1

dangit scow I was right in the middle of arguing that catfolk can be a respectable race and not something "mature" (spelled "hey look they're naked!")

It's an uphill battle. Best cat folk I've ever seen happened to Ba a big, fat, fluffy Persian longhair type in ottoman trader's garb who was a Healer (class) and raised canaries as a hobby.

But his name was Jingleberries.

HEY.

That's not nice!

It's true though.

endoperez
2013-12-20, 06:26 AM

What? No, that doesn't make ANY sense at all.

Fighting is Martial Arts, yes. Just because the term has "art" in it doesn't mean martial artists have anything in common with artists, just like having "Mars" in the name doesn't mean martial artists have anything in common with astronauts, or little green men for that matter.

You claim many famous artists thought they worked best in the nude, but named no names. Who did this, when, and was the general culture of their time something that glorified nature and the natural state of a human being e.g. nudity? These artists could have been WRONG. I mean, some artists are also known for doing drugs, or drinking alcohol, or being depressed, or going to Paris.

And finally, this representation of idealized nudity has existed in D&D (and before D&D) for a long time, so obviously the creators would support it with the barbarian-fighter dichotomy. This illusion of nudity being somehow beneficial for fighting is one of the reasons barbarians exist in D&D, not the other way around!

Sorry about the rant, I guess you hit a sore point.

As an apology, demotivators!

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z63/g507/judogido/judo-t-shirt.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Zhnhq_exYt0/TUX4UebfSoI/AAAAAAAAAw4/DSD0AqZ32bE/s1600/judo+kick+your+ass+demotivator.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IMu7oXV.jpg?1

dehro
2013-12-20, 06:34 AM
you're right.. doing drugs and alcohol, one could somehow justify, but there's no call for going to Paris! :smalltongue:

Spore
2013-12-20, 10:56 AM
For the being nude improving hand to hand combat skills, you could be right. I participated amateur Karate for about a year in high school (new trainer made me leave) and I see the advantage of only wearing a gi and no shoes. And my gi was made of very thick cotton fiber so movement was slightly impaired (for my weak 13 y/o self). Mechanics wise it would tread the fine line between no armor penalty and armor penalty.

There is a reason why boxers tend to fight without shirts (look, in modern boxing fights you mainly see the chest, the dollars that could be made by presenting ads there would be immense). There is a reason soccer players play with shorts, even when it's snowing on the field. I agree that having your privates covered doesn't impede movement (I think the 'movement' down there is not beneficial for the male fighter) so I guess a "sports bra" and panties could provide an acceptable outfit for martially inclined warriors.

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100718231910/streetfighter/images/8/8c/Sagat-hdstance.gif

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110608003931/streetfighter/images/5/5c/07_sfxtart04.jpg

I am not saying it doesn't look good. But I am saying it is also practical.

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s546/Ahriman_Raven/Roleplaying%20Demotivators/Monk_zps9bef10f7.jpg

dehro
2013-12-20, 11:14 AM
you may be martial-artsy inclined, but that's not going to stop the axe from the bugbear barbarian you're facing from carving you up if you don't react quickly enough or take a miss-step.
Whilst single opponent encounters on ground that gives you a decent foothold may go in favour of the added dexterity and speed, those are rarely situations you find yourself in when you routinely confront varying numbers of bandits, opposing troups or monsters of various description... which is what fantasy settings are more likely to throw at you... or at the scantily clad fighteress.
on average, having some sort of padding or armor is better than not having it and, to go back to where the topic started, the painters and designers that do artwork concerning female warriors DO aim to design some sort of armor, or they wouldn't bother at all..
They're just not really thinking about it in utility/effectiveness terms, but in terms of making it look cool, and, if possible, sexy.

Yora
2013-12-20, 02:32 PM
I didn't think these were real.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/99b10c5a8c115cf97748cdb5ffff5b0c/tumblr_my2ji6Ivn01rv231do1_1280.jpg

Noedig
2013-12-20, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalara_garuda) is real too.

Gettles
2013-12-20, 03:18 PM
you may be martial-artsy inclined, but that's not going to stop the axe from the bugbear barbarian you're facing from carving you up if you don't react quickly enough or take a miss-step.
Whilst single opponent encounters on ground that gives you a decent foothold may go in favour of the added dexterity and speed, those are rarely situations you find yourself in when you routinely confront varying numbers of bandits, opposing troups or monsters of various description... which is what fantasy settings are more likely to throw at you... or at the scantily clad fighteress.
on average, having some sort of padding or armor is better than not having it and, to go back to where the topic started, the painters and designers that do artwork concerning female warriors DO aim to design some sort of armor, or they wouldn't bother at all..
They're just not really thinking about it in utility/effectiveness terms, but in terms of making it look cool, and, if possible, sexy.

You say that like its a bad thing.

I think the whole "unrealistic armor" complaint is just people who know just enough about real-life armor to see the problems trying to make themselves feel smarter than they are. In fiction armor doesn't need to protect anything, it exists to either make someone look intimidating(by being massive and covered in spikes to make the person inside look biger), attractive (boob windows, exposed midriffs, or even the fact that no one wears helmets unless you are evil), or heroic(by the armor being impossibly shiny and unscuffable.

dehro
2013-12-20, 03:44 PM
I was merelly stating that the visual choice in female armour in fantasy is entirelly based on testosterone, not some profound phylosophical statement or the depiction of some traditionally unclad disciple of one or the other martial discipline.
Me, I'm perfectly happy with the notion of chainmail bikinis

Scow2
2013-12-20, 04:21 PM
I was merelly stating that the visual choice in female armour in fantasy is entirelly based on testosterone, not some profound phylosophical statement or the depiction of some traditionally unclad disciple of one or the other martial discipline.
Me, I'm perfectly happy with the notion of chainmail bikinis

Not martial discipline. General art. And yet, traditional depictions of Barbarians emphasize it.

Admiral Harkov
2013-12-20, 05:23 PM
In the matter at hand I also find sometimes the impression that some (and in reality likely few of them hold truth to it) think only full plate mail is acceptable and practical armour.

Well, guess what, full plate armour was no help against the British archers in Agincourt.

And during the battles of Hernán Cortés against the Aztecs, later when they started to receive reinforcements (not going to elaborate on that point), Bernal Díaz del Castillo tells of how the veterans wore thick cotton vests. When the new soldiers, without experience fighting the Aztecs, arrived with their steel breastplates they laughed that the veterans had ditched their steel plates. Then they went to battle, the thick cotton vests protected the veterans with decent efficiency against the natives' arrows, while the soldiers with steel breastplates found it did nothing; the natives' arrows pierced the steel like it was butter and only the cotton could stop them soon enough. The surviving newbies then ditched their steel breastplates for the thick cotton vests and the next newbies would then laugh at them.

So, there, steel plate sometimes is as ridiculous and ineffective as going naked.

Obviously, the right in an real battle is to be fully covered in whatever actually grants protection. If something grants any. If nothing protects you, then comfort and mobility should be the rule (plus some modesty!).

And then, as pointed above, in fiction is and doesn't need to be about practicality, it can be for other purposes, aesthetically or symbolically. And if one doesn't like what a guy draws, then one doesn't buy his drawings, no need to impose anything (which I don't think anybody is intending in this discussion, by what I've read, but often I see).

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52/mbest/Motivational/motivator1e1d8dfd3032173cb54295f6b61aa9025650e487. jpg

Elderand
2013-12-20, 05:25 PM
Not martial discipline. General art. And yet, traditional depictions of Barbarians emphasize it.

You realise that what you just said amount to:

art depict people semi naked and yet art depict people semi naked.

Little known fact, those barbarians wearing nothing but a fur loincloth ? Didn't really exist. It's like the traditional depiction of hoplites as being naked with just a helmet.

It's only a depiction, IE it was fancy. Reality was everyone wore clothes and armor because it's a really really stupid idea not to. Wheter you fight in the rocky regions of greece or even in snowy forest of germany you wore something to avoid getting your butt frozen, sunburned or stabbed.

Scow2
2013-12-20, 06:40 PM
You realise that what you just said amount to:

art depict people semi naked and yet art depict people semi naked.

Little known fact, those barbarians wearing nothing but a fur loincloth ? Didn't really exist. It's like the traditional depiction of hoplites as being naked with just a helmet.That's because real-world people never got past level 5 in D&D... which, in terms of Martial Arts, is the equivalent of primary-school level artistic output - crayolas and paint-by-numbers, with the occassional macaroni fresco.

In fantasy, you stop being a metal-wrapped chunk of meat, and start being a performer and true artist of battle. Some people (Not all), happen to find more artistic inspiration while skyclad.

PersonMan
2013-12-20, 06:59 PM
I think the whole "unrealistic armor" complaint is just people who know just enough about real-life armor to see the problems trying to make themselves feel smarter than they are.

Eh, personally I think it's just that it bothers people. I don't complain much about it, but I don't really like armor made to show off a female body because it fits neither the 'realistic, unusually so, interesting!' nor the 'unrealistic, but I don't care 'cause it's cool!' box. I'm not a big fan of oversexualized character art anyways, at least unless it's the depiction of a scene like 'Character A seduces B for [whatever reason]', so having it fighting with the cool, rarer and more unusual armor that may not be super practical, but at least tries, is not going to end well for it.

dehro
2013-12-20, 07:11 PM
@scow2 Are we still talking about the pointless armor trope, a.k.a. the sexualisation of the female figure depicted like this,
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Chainmail-Bikini.gif
In a poor excuse for armor that might as well be substituted with a cloth bikini, or have we transcended into the realm of metaphysics?
The point wasn't about reaching levels where one doesn't need armor anymore an the illustrations reflecting this, but about women in general being depicted with most of their bits on display and still being officially protected by some measure of armor (which however wouldn't be of any help) when their male counterparts wear more sensible armour... And warm clothes, I might add.

Noedig
2013-12-20, 11:38 PM
Are we still talking about armor?

Slipperychicken
2013-12-20, 11:59 PM
Are we still talking about armor?

We're always talking about armor.

http://i.imgur.com/623nobx.jpg

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-21, 12:09 AM
We're always talking about armor.

http://i.imgur.com/623nobx.jpg

a chaos lord's armor is always practical...practically pointy. and sorry on starting the debate up, on the bright side it gave me something to add to my signature..

Erth16
2013-12-21, 01:26 PM
I would just like to say, reading through all that, I never understood a single thing Scow wrote.

Scow2
2013-12-21, 10:45 PM
That's okay. I don't either.

Spore
2013-12-22, 02:50 PM
I LOVE the female armor trope. Still, chain mail bikinis are quite outdated.

http://www.abload.de/img/14757936cuuuk.gif

Boots of the Winterlands are a small price to pay for wearing a satin gown in the ice tundra. Armor is provided by a SLA bone armor (just a flexible layer of white "skin" really).

My character concept works around that problem - and quite well if I may say so myself.

Yora
2013-12-22, 03:23 PM
There is nothing wrong when it's not supposed to be armor.

When a light dress is supposed to be a light dress, nobody is complaining.

Scow2
2013-12-22, 04:16 PM
I LOVE the female armor trope. Still, chain mail bikinis are quite outdated.

My beef with the female armor trope is twofold:
1: they tend to be glorified chastity belts, and often sacrifice armor aesthetic to show off anatomy - the armor works against the overall 'movements' of the form in the quest to reveal as much as possible while keeping the bare minimum covered.
2: It tends to be female-only, with males forced to wear METAL BAWKSES while females get armors that blend natural and crafted aesthetic.

Turalisj
2013-12-22, 04:19 PM
Scow, I suggest looking at the Guild Wars 2 armor. With certain exceptions, most male/female armor tends to be either well covering or within the same frame of "does not cover much". :smallwink:

SoC175
2013-12-22, 04:23 PM
Well, guess what, full plate armour was no help against the British archers in Agincourt. Actually it was. The knights managed both a cavlry charge under the rain of arrows and then a slow walk on foot through a muddy field with hardly any casulties to the arrows. The plate protected them that good.

Thhe cavalry charge was spoiled because the arrows hurt the less amored horses and they lost the battle that followed their slosh through the mud because it left them too tired.

And during the battles of Hernán Cortés against the Aztecs, later when they started to receive reinforcements (not going to elaborate on that point), Bernal Díaz del Castillo tells of how the veterans wore thick cotton vests. When the new soldiers, without experience fighting the Aztecs, arrived with their steel breastplates they laughed that the veterans had ditched their steel plates. Then they went to battle, the thick cotton vests protected the veterans with decent efficiency against the natives' arrows, while the soldiers with steel breastplates found it did nothing; the natives' arrows pierced the steel like it was butter and only the cotton could stop them soon enough. The surviving newbies then ditched their steel breastplates for the thick cotton vests and the next newbies would then laugh at them.

So, there, steel plate sometimes is as ridiculous and ineffective as going naked. Source please. Any sources I know of speak about how the aztec cotton armor, which was actually sandwiched cotton between layers of cloth and leather and stitched together, was almost as good as the steel breatplates to the point that the small advantage of the steel breastplates didn't make it worth to wear them in that environment over the cotton-leather-armors.

I never read that they were ineffective and easily pierced

Scow2
2013-12-22, 04:29 PM
It's not the arrows that ignored the armor - They did well enough surviving the arrows (Their horses and less-armored soldiers didn't fare as well). It was when they got to the archers that they were forced to stop, because Hammer Time.

Something that D&D utterly failed at was representing the longbow, which is mechanically at least a +2 or +3 Mighty bow.

And steel breastplates were NOT pierced by the aztecs - Aztec weaponry was completely ineffective against conquistador armor - the armor was just too uncomfortable to wear.

Amaril
2013-12-22, 04:31 PM
Scow, I suggest looking at the Guild Wars 2 armor. With certain exceptions, most male/female armor tends to be either well covering or within the same frame of "does not cover much". :smallwink:

What's more, they actually explain why some characters wear a lot less clothing than others. Most of the skimpier outfits are worn by the Norn and Sylvari races--the former wear less because their bodies generate a lot more heat and covering a lot of their skin gets uncomfortable for them, and the latter can do it because they're technically asexual and don't have sexual characteristics to cover, so they never developed taboos about it. Far as I'm concerned, both explanations are perfectly reasonable, and I'm glad they at least made an effort to address the issue.

Scow2
2013-12-22, 04:34 PM
But what about the Charr!?

SoC175
2013-12-22, 04:41 PM
Far as I'm concerned, both explanations are perfectly reasonable, Do they also explain how these were not curbstomped in wars against races that did protect themselves with proper armor?

Scow2
2013-12-22, 04:48 PM
Do they also explain how these were not curbstomped in wars against races that did protect themselves with proper armor?
1 - Norn are twice as large as any other race, and mystically protected through spiritual power.
2 - Sylvari are made of wood, which is better than 90% of all other armors out there.
3 - Char are massive and have thick hides+fur.
4 - It's a fantasy universe, where Aesthetic greatly outperforms practicality. Helmets are a liability because they make you faceless.

SoC175
2013-12-22, 04:52 PM
1 - Norn are twice as large as any other race, and mystically protected through spiritual power.
2 - Sylvari are made of wood, which is better than 90% of all other armors out there.
4 - It's a fantasy universe, where Aesthetic greatly outperforms practicality. Helmets are a liability because they make you faceless.

In short: "Natural Armor"That makes sense

Amaril
2013-12-22, 06:10 PM

Also, Sylvari haven't really been in any wars yet, since they've only existed for about 20 years as of Guild Wars 2, and most of the other races are just now finding out about them.

But yeah, Norn get away with it thanks to being naturally stronger, tougher and faster than humans, and being protected by the spirits. Char actually do wear full armor, despite being even stronger and tougher than Norn. And regardless, I was mostly talking about civilian clothes rather than armor.

Milo v3
2013-12-22, 10:16 PM
Helmets are a liability because they make you faceless.

Not necessarily, unique helmets can keep u alive for quite sometime. See Halo Reach for example, with the "faceless" helmeted guy being the second last to die because his helmet is distinct enough for him to not just be a mook.

Arkhosia
2013-12-22, 10:19 PM
Not necessarily, unique helmets can keep u alive for quite sometime. See Halo Reach for example, with the "faceless" helmeted guy being the second last to die because his helmet is distinct enough for him to not just be a mook.

I found it funny the person who hated wearing a helmet died via headshot while wearing the helmet

Isamu Dyson
2013-12-23, 03:18 PM
Still, chain mail bikinis are quite outdated.

Alternate interpretation: "My character is so badass, she doesn't need to wear full armor."

golentan
2013-12-23, 03:55 PM
Hey Fry, Motivators going out! C'mooooon!

Seriously, more motivators guys. It only takes a couple minutes to make one.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/357/7/7/drow_by_golentan-d6z2ypr.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/357/2/6/tzeentchian_cultists_by_golentan-d6z2z3j.jpg

A Tad Insane
2013-12-23, 05:06 PM
I have a post, though it's not showing to me, so I'm not sure if it works. A well

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Bannana_King/media/nipplearmor_zps94607cbe.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Arkhosia
2013-12-23, 05:23 PM

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/357/2/6/tzeentchian_cultists_by_golentan-d6z2z3j.jpg

And people wonder why I play female drow with questionable morals. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Deathkeeper
2013-12-23, 05:35 PM

Or in my case, "killing evil has never felt so justified." :smallamused:
Gosh I hate Drow.

Spore
2013-12-23, 05:48 PM
I am always torn between classical and unimaginative characters and over-the-top ones with absurd gimmicks.

Picture removed because some words are worse words than others here apparently. No, I am not criticising anyone, honestly.

Arkhosia
2013-12-23, 05:53 PM
I am always torn between classical and unimaginative characters and over-the-top ones with absurd gimmicks.

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/0910/ninja-guns-ninja-gun-cheating-demotivational-poster-1255897761.jpg

The one thing no one would ever expect from a ninja... NINJA GUN STAR! *throws gun at person*

Admiral Harkov
2013-12-23, 06:04 PM
I have a post, though it's not showing to me, so I'm not sure if it works. A well

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Bannana_King/media/nipplearmor_zps94607cbe.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I fixed it for you

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t640/Bannana_King/nipplearmor_zps94607cbe.jpg

Use the direct link, remove the ~original part and put it between img tags
That link also can be taken from click on magnifier icon in bottom right of image, same with the pop up image, right click and view image, copy address, remove ~original part

A Tad Insane
2013-12-23, 06:31 PM
Thanks, I'll be sure to mourn your tech prowess when Vader kills you!

Sgt. Cookie
2013-12-23, 07:59 PM

-snip-

I'd censor that one, if I were you, as you're circumventing GiTP's word filters.

Mutazoia
2013-12-24, 10:38 PM
In the interest of getting the thread back on track ... (not mine but worth posting)

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1468634_627330920659609_514838635_n.jpg

Sith_Happens
2013-12-24, 10:54 PM
In the interest of getting the thread back on track ... (not mine but worth posting)

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1468634_627330920659609_514838635_n.jpg

Headcannon accepted.

Forrestfire
2013-12-24, 11:14 PM
Headcannon? :smallamused:

Slipperychicken
2013-12-24, 11:20 PM

I know what "headcanon" is, but "headcannon" just sounds ridiculously awesome.

Elderand
2013-12-24, 11:24 PM

This....is the greatest thing I've heard in quite a while.

Forrestfire
2013-12-25, 12:11 AM

I wish I was on my other computer. I probably could have posted something about robots with cannons for heads.

Lord Raziere
2013-12-25, 01:35 AM
This....is the greatest thing I've heard in quite a while.

which raises the question.

who are the dire kender? :smalleek:

Arkhosia
2013-12-25, 01:37 AM
which raises the question.

who are the dire kender? :smalleek:

Halflings! Humans are Dire dire kender.
Dragonborn = Dire Kobolds.

TuggyNE
2013-12-25, 03:04 AM
Halflings! Humans are Dire dire kender.
Dragonborn = Dire Kobolds.

Dwarves, I suppose, are Dire Gnomes.

What are Dire Elves, besides leShay? (Drow only half count.)

Eldan
2013-12-25, 06:31 AM
Perhaps Elves are Dire Pixies?

Slipperychicken
2013-12-25, 09:43 AM
Perhaps Elves are Dire Pixies?

If the setting has pointy-eared Halflings, then Elves can be Advanced Dire Halflings.

I think Aasimar are Dire Elves, since they seem to be an attempt to out-elf the Elves.

Eldan
2013-12-25, 09:58 AM
If the setting has pointy-eared Halflings, then Elves can be Advanced Dire Halflings.

I think Aasimar are Dire Elves, since they seem to be an attempt to out-elf the Elves.

Depends on the sources a bit, really. Planescape gave Aasimar a strength bonus and noted they made fantastic villains because few suspected them at first.

Arkhosia
2013-12-25, 10:02 AM
Tieflings are obviously Dire Humans.
They even have spikes! :smalltongue:

Spore
2013-12-25, 10:04 AM
I'd censor that one, if I were you, as you're circumventing GiTP's word filters.

Thanks for the heads up. I overlooked that on two occasions already. Am I the only one who finds it odd that we can freely discuss sacrificing people, necromancy and killing in every color and variety here, but when we hit dirty words, suddenly it's a no-no?

Vknight
2013-12-25, 12:32 PM

Head-Cannon.
A man with a cannon for a head; he wears white jeans and a massive red scarf, he fights crime on the weekends

Noedig
2013-12-25, 01:29 PM
Poster theme idea: Famous real-world individuals given class levels.

For example, John Muir (http://www-tc.pbs.org/nationalparks/media/photos/04000/S4132-lg.jpg) (bearded chap to Teddy Roosevelt's left) is pictured here with the President, the president's security contingent, and Muir's awakened redwood confidant, George, in the background. Muir is clearly an epic druid.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-25, 01:40 PM
Head-Cannon.
A man with a cannon for a head; he wears white jeans and a massive red scarf, he fights crime on the weekends

http://i.imgur.com/DLyC11M.jpg

Sith_Happens
2013-12-25, 02:35 PM

:roy: "Did I stutter?"

Shadow Viper
2013-12-25, 06:55 PM
:roy: "Did I stutter?"

I don't get it...

Astral Avenger
2013-12-25, 07:19 PM
I don't get it...

I think its a reference to this scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqUAKgnrUA) from the (american version) office.

golentan
2013-12-25, 08:07 PM
Guys, SERIOUSLY. In the last 18 posts we have had exactly one demotivator. ONE. They only take a couple minutes to make, or if you're lazier than that you can do what I did for this one and spend 30 seconds googling this unfortunately appropriate comment. I don't mind the discussion, but please put up some posters as part of it! Get on it, guys and gals!

http://adam.legendary.org/thoughts/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/CriticalFailure.png

Sith_Happens
2013-12-25, 10:22 PM
I think its a reference to this scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqUAKgnrUA) from the (american version) office.

It's a reference to On the Origin of PCs. Hence the :roy:.

Manly Man
2013-12-26, 03:26 AM
It's just so hard not to love them, even when they're eating your noodles.

http://i.imgur.com/KNugkfB.jpg

DracoDei
2013-12-26, 03:38 PM
Head-Cannon.
Weekdays he works the grills at the local McDonald's?

Vknight
2013-12-26, 04:15 PM
Weekdays he works the grills at the local McDonald's?

Nah weekdays he's studying for his degree in nuclear physics

AngelSword
2013-12-26, 08:24 PM
Found online
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/90318-1-1-1.jpg

Arbane
2013-12-26, 11:11 PM
And people wonder why I play female drow with questionable morals. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

By "questionable morals', you mean they might HAVE some?

Arkhosia
2013-12-26, 11:12 PM
By "questionable morals', you mean they might HAVE some?

Hey, I need to fit the PC into our good campaigns somehow! :smalltongue:

Aldo, I made a demotivator that I'm having a hard time uploading, do i'll just describe it: a picture of Catbug with the text of

Templates
Why we love thrm

AngelSword
2013-12-27, 11:37 AM
Found on Memebase
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7970251520/h9F2D4638/ (http://cheezburger.com/7970251520)

Slipperychicken
2013-12-27, 12:10 PM
Aldo, I made a demotivator that I'm having a hard time uploading, do i'll just describe it: a picture of Catbug with the text of

Templates
Why we love thrm

Like this?

http://i.imgur.com/h7pu9eh.jpg

Ksheep
2013-12-27, 01:36 PM
And another Catbug one…

http://i.imgur.com/kCVIT5A.jpg

Hiro Protagonest
2013-12-27, 01:41 PM
And another Catbug one…

http://i.imgur.com/kCVIT5A.jpg

What, you mean that's not obviously evil?

Ksheep
2013-12-27, 01:57 PM
What, you mean that's not obviously evil?

Well, at first glance it appears to be the huggable, innocent Catbug. Then you notice the look in his eyes and his foreboding headdress, which might raise a few red flags. Of course, it all becomes quite clear when he orders you to be forced out the nearest airlock…

PersonMan
2013-12-27, 02:47 PM
He's chilling on a throne. That makes him obviously evil.

Ksheep
2013-12-27, 03:09 PM

King Theoden (http://www.xenocorp.net/h_bardcorner/images/mpttt06_04.jpg) is chilling on a throne, does that make him evil?

Mordokai
2013-12-27, 03:44 PM
King Theoden (http://www.xenocorp.net/h_bardcorner/images/mpttt06_04.jpg) is chilling on a throne, does that make him evil?

Maybe not evil, but certainly a lost cause (http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121011122916/lotr/images/4/47/Grima_and_King_Theoden_-_Two_Towers.png) :smalltongue:

PersonMan
2013-12-27, 06:55 PM

He's not chilling, he's sitting.

Gettles
2013-12-27, 07:25 PM

But look at Balgruf (http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121021003038/elderscrolls/images/1/1e/Jarl_Balgruf_the_Greater.png), sittin with a the swagger in the world. How can he be evil?

Andezzar
2013-12-27, 07:30 PM
An appropriate text might be: Balgruuf the Greater - Get off the throne fence already.

PersonMan
2013-12-27, 08:15 PM
But look at Balgruf (http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121021003038/elderscrolls/images/1/1e/Jarl_Balgruf_the_Greater.png), sittin with a the swagger in the world. How can he be evil?

See above. Sitting =/= chilling.

A Tad Insane
2013-12-27, 08:50 PM

Jarl Ballin' always chills with all the swagger in the world

Yora
2013-12-28, 08:49 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/ab8b70eb788039c1b0710f332bd70bcc/tumblr_myiqvc2BqC1rv231do1_1280.jpg

Manly Man
2013-12-28, 09:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/6x5c2Lv.jpg

Yora
2013-12-28, 10:54 AM
May I "improve" this one for upload on the tumblr page and still credit it to you?
That one isn't censored. :smallwink:

Manly Man
2013-12-28, 11:14 AM
Totes. Go for it, bro.

Arkhosia
2013-12-28, 11:38 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/ab8b70eb788039c1b0710f332bd70bcc/tumblr_myiqvc2BqC1rv231do1_1280.jpg

*Applause*

Yora
2013-12-31, 08:48 AM
I found stuff!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yxlka8wQFNo/TXpVqY4rAjI/AAAAAAAATUM/xw2OSIuCx_k/w750-h600-no/00initiative8ck.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mgA-zKNnF1k/TXpVwCjRNcI/AAAAAAAATVA/9tpyNnoEwYE/w750-h600-no/9c95b1b8.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-txDadTHU9UQ/TXpVyQJlJrI/AAAAAAAATVY/xo-aqUOeygc/w750-h600-no/10f6gig.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-udZ5PtUgvQw/TXpV1t5eJYI/AAAAAAAATV8/2qVTodVqOYU/w588-h480-no/10xavxw.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O7udG2BBLic/TXpV-e5SbgI/AAAAAAAATXQ/NI6X4Dm3hro/w750-h600-no/72b0eef7.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EZCz58vb4kI/TXpV8Scq8nI/AAAAAAAATXE/USY6LO30D_A/w560-h700-no/32d52943.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tNNPGWFlung/TXpWD0s6mgI/AAAAAAAATYQ/-n0eksNLHlQ/w750-h600-no/1238uc5.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9buIlg25w_8/TXpWL2D0sBI/AAAAAAAATZM/G_HpkiRQiSI/w500-h400-no/149812006_3b34d82d0b.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gaccaAaFnZE/TXpWT26csuI/AAAAAAAATao/rqpEG9XR5LI/w500-h400-no/151329684_1be1f9943d.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/l96pt7S_9Hw1cghXoQpaq66hsUxohF9FsSFL2snMTtHz=w750-h600-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OuXL0jFnugs/TXpWoVnUpYI/AAAAAAAATds/jHF0qstQbhE/w750-h600-no/155383911_f0fb7168c2_o.jpg

Mordokai
2013-12-31, 11:38 AM
I remember some of those.

I now feel old.

Spore
2014-01-02, 06:49 PM
Our momentary situation:

http://www.abload.de/img/24295859cxpky.gif

We attacked an ancient white dragon that wrecked our castle. He is unable to fly and thus like a cornered beast. We're 10th level, ranger, fighter, barbarian with me as oracle (better favored soul) and I think we gon' die! The smartass lured us onto a snowy field (home advantage), is unable to fly but VERY able to create freezing fog and extremely resistant. If I don't have ideas onto how to beat this monster with my spells into submission, we will die (or flee with Planar Shift).

Turalisj
2014-01-02, 06:57 PM
Fire. All of the fire.

Erik Vale
2014-01-02, 06:58 PM
White dragons can burrow, a white dragon with it's wings clipped shouldn't die in this situation.

So, I suggest diplomacy.

Spore
2014-01-02, 07:02 PM
So, I suggest diplomacy.

My curse limits me to Celestial in battle as I am the only diplomancer in the group.

MonochromeTiger
2014-01-02, 07:05 PM
White dragons can burrow, a white dragon with it's wings clipped shouldn't die in this situation.

So, I suggest diplomacy.

"hello sir, you destroyed our castle for unexplained reasons and then got chased by us (with weapons) all the way to a location where you have a clear advantage and no obvious reason to negotiate. parley?" "yeah that sounds reasonable, my previous potentially random destruction and the fact that you just chased me to this place fill me with diplomatic spirit...or diplomats, they taste good"

Slipperychicken
2014-01-03, 11:50 PM
[Probably NSFW]

http://i.imgur.com/A0D9hn7.jpg

Gettles
2014-01-04, 12:55 AM
I found stuff!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gaccaAaFnZE/TXpWT26csuI/AAAAAAAATao/rqpEG9XR5LI/w500-h400-no/151329684_1be1f9943d.jpg

Does "it's rad as hell" count as in character?

AngelSword
2014-01-04, 01:52 AM
I found stuff!

I once had a cleric whose nightwalker minion wore one of those as a belt. >_>

Noedig
2014-01-04, 02:21 AM
[Probably NSFW]

http://i.imgur.com/A0D9hn7.jpg

Christ almighty, what is that? It has got sausage for a face. :smalltongue:

Forrestfire
2014-01-04, 02:27 AM
Not sure what the picture was originally, but I generally associate it with SCP-610.

Waker
2014-01-04, 03:16 AM
Prepare to be demotivated!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Diplomacy_zps98f47ed2.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Diplomacy_zps98f47ed2.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/ReusingCharacters_zps3b6426d7.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/ReusingCharacters_zps3b6426d7.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/CharacterDeath_zpsc44345a0.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/CharacterDeath_zpsc44345a0.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/SecondGeneration_zps177500c2.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/SecondGeneration_zps177500c2.jpg.html)

Yora
2014-01-04, 08:44 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/845ad3fb1304a0312983473cffbd5330/tumblr_myby1qodc31r54qfqo1_500.jpg

Roland St. Jude
2014-01-04, 05:42 PM
Sheriff: About a dozen posts have been removed and are under review. Please avoid: 1) violating the Forum Rules; 2) vigilante modding or otherwise trying to regulate other posters; 3) insulting the Forum Rules, moderators, or moderation, or 4) suggesting the forum staff are jackbooted thugs.

Spore
2014-01-04, 07:49 PM
Does "it's rad as hell" count as in character?

No, but "the enemy didn't expect THAT" thing counts.

http://www.abload.de/img/492457499as1g.gif

Yora
2014-01-05, 06:53 AM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/bce9a370c5cc82876a737ad96612036d/tumblr_myvhp445ET1rv231do1_500.png

Mutazoia
2014-01-05, 09:37 AM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/bce9a370c5cc82876a737ad96612036d/tumblr_myvhp445ET1rv231do1_500.png

[Supporting Argument]

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/dubdubwolf/poster99020549mh0.jpg

[Counter Argument]

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/508/intimidationxy9.jpg

BWR
2014-01-05, 09:48 AM
On the subject of diplomacy. I totally stole this one from someone else, btw.

http://s23.postimg.org/odiy6flyz/diplomacy.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
free jpeg images (http://postimage.org/)

Fable Wright
2014-01-05, 09:59 AM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/508/intimidationxy9.jpg

This is such a great image.
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx219/DMofDarkness/UADemotivator_zpsedc160e2.jpg

Waker
2014-01-05, 09:24 PM
Oh, I got your demotivators right here!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/OliveBranch_zps3cdf2b3d.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/OliveBranch_zps3cdf2b3d.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/All-Warforged_zps64e09f8e.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/All-Warforged_zps64e09f8e.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/CraftConstruct_zps4cb7f0e5.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/CraftConstruct_zps4cb7f0e5.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Challenge_zps8117707c.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Challenge_zps8117707c.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Leadership_zps16c1f575.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Leadership_zps16c1f575.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/AdventuringGear_zps2d716366.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/AdventuringGear_zps2d716366.jpg.html)

No brains
2014-01-06, 02:39 AM
On the subject of diplomacy. I totally stole this one from someone else, btw.

http://s23.postimg.org/odiy6flyz/diplomacy.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
free jpeg images (http://postimage.org/)

I tried this in a recent adventure. The bandit prince asked what he was going to do with us, and I thought he was just wondering how to execute us. Needless to say, it got everyone killed.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-06, 02:41 AM
I tried this in a recent adventure. The bandit prince asked what he was going to do with us, and I thought he was just wondering how to execute us. Needless to say, it got everyone killed.

Hey, every now and then you find yourself neck deep in a blood-bath. As long as it was a good time, don't worry about it.

Nepenthe
2014-01-07, 12:04 AM
So I finally got around to seeing The Desolation of Smaug...http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/11812728744_d50d69641f_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thiskindnepenthe/11812728744/)

Slipperychicken
2014-01-07, 12:56 AM
So I finally got around to seeing The Desolation of Smaug...http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/11812728744_d50d69641f_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thiskindnepenthe/11812728744/)

You know that none of that was in the book, right?

Bilbo and company got all the way from the wood-elf cave to the Lonely Mountain without a single shot fired. Tolkien didn't even mention either elf in the Hobbit, and the goblins didn't actually pursue the dwarves that far.

In the original book, the Dwarves were well-hidden in their barrels and literally starved in them for days, all the way until they reached Lake Town, where they immediately (and understandably) began to whine and complain about how cramped and hungry they were.

Also, almost all of the archery in the Hobbit is terribly ineffective (With the exception of Bard's final shot at Smaug). Here is much spoilered evidence:

This from the mirkwood chapters:

All this went on for what seemed to the hobbit ages upon ages; and he was always hungry, for they were extremely careful with their provisions. Even so, as days followed days, and still the forest seemed just the same, they began to get anxious. The food would not last for ever: it was in fact already beginning to get low. They tried shooting at the squirrels, and they wasted many arrows before they managed to bring one down on the path. But when they roasted it, it proved horrible to taste, and they shot no more squirrels.
That's right: The dwarves had serious difficulty shooting squirrels.

Suddenly on the path ahead appeared some white deer, a hind and fawns as snowy white as the hart had been dark. They glimmered in the shadows. Before Thorin could cry out three of the dwarves had leaped to their feet and loosed off arrows from their bows. None seemed to find their mark. The deer turned and vanished in the trees as silently as they had come, and in vain the dwarves shot their arrows after them.

"Stop! stop!" shouted Thorin; but it was too late, the excited dwarves had wasted their last arrows, and now the bows that Beorn had given them were useless.
In their defense, one of them did manage to hit a deer once, but the deer got away after Bombur slipped into an enchanted stream.

And from the fight against Smaug:

Roaring he swept back over the town. A hail of dark arrows leaped up and snapped and rattled on his scales and jewels, and their shafts fell back kindled by his breath burning and hissing into the lake. No fireworks you ever imagined equalled the sights that night. At the twanging of the bows and the shrilling of the trumpets the dragon's wrath blazed to its height, till he was blind and mad with it. No one had dared to give battle to him for many an age; nor would they have dared now, if it had not been for the grim-voiced man (Bard was his name), who ran to and fro cheering on the archers and urging the Master to order them to fight to the last arrow.

Fire leaped from thatched roofs and wooden beam-ends as he hurtled down and past and round again, though all had been drenched with water before he came. Once more water was flung by a hundred hands wherever a spark appeared. Back swirled the dragon. A sweep of his tail and the roof of the Great House crumbled and smashed down. Flames unquenchable sprang high into the night. Another swoop and another, and another house and then another sprang afire and fell; and still no arrow hindered Smaug or hurt him more than a fly from the marshes. Already men were jumping into the water on every side.

Bard's black arrow was the one that killed Smaug, but it was the only one which really had any effect.

Nepenthe
2014-01-07, 01:40 AM
You know that none of that was in the book, right?
Yup. But the movie version makes a better poster. :smalltongue:

Cerlis
2014-01-07, 02:16 AM
fact: You cant steal something that doesnt exist.

So if you are saying that the original book didnt have competent archers in it, it just adds to the point. Doesnt refute it.

the phrase "D&D didnt steal competent archers from Tolkien" is true whether or not there are competent archers in the book.

DracoDei
2014-01-07, 02:23 AM
Ok, shooting a squirrel? Well it is a small target, but the range might not be horrible. Quite doable for a competent archer especially in fantasy.

Shooting a squirrel so it falls onto the path you are in deep danger if you leave (instead of going flying if you hit it from the side, or getting spiked to the tree it is on)? Maybe not so easy.

Dienekes
2014-01-07, 02:25 AM
fact: You cant steal something that doesnt exist.

So if you are saying that the original book didnt have competent archers in it, it just adds to the point. Doesnt refute it.

the phrase "D&D didnt steal competent archers from Tolkien" is true whether or not there are competent archers in the book.

I think it was more a joke that archery sucks in D&D (3e-3.5 at least), while Tolkien's work is know for competent archers. Bard being the main one from The Hobbit, and of course Legolas in Lord of the Rings.

Waker
2014-01-07, 02:48 AM
While I have griped about the Hobbit movies as well, here is not the place to do it. Unless you post demotivators that is.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Spellbooks_zps457ae032.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Spellbooks_zps457ae032.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Destruction_zpsf12fbf37.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Destruction_zpsf12fbf37.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Mounts_zps15146ddd.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Mounts_zps15146ddd.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/Studying_zps0baa5975.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/Studying_zps0baa5975.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/CharacterDescription_zpsc640968f.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/CharacterDescription_zpsc640968f.jpg.html)

Sith_Happens
2014-01-07, 03:19 AM
With the slew of Diplomacy jokes last page, it felt like a good time to redo my very first demotivator with a new image and small-text:

http://i43.tinypic.com/5arlv8.jpg
I like this version a lot better.:smallbiggrin:

SiuiS
2014-01-07, 07:40 AM
Yup. But the movie version makes a better poster. :smalltongue:

You could also say the movie version makes a better movie. But then you would be a liar! :smallfurious:

(:smalltongue:)

Scow2
2014-01-07, 10:09 AM
{{scrubbed}}

Dienekes
2014-01-07, 11:06 AM
{{scrubbed}}

Boyo, no need to start an edition war here. It's not the place.

D_Lord
2014-01-11, 01:39 AM
Bumb, to move it up, come on people I know there is more demotivators out there.

Manly Man
2014-01-11, 02:41 AM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/130/a/1/Baleful_Polymorph_by_AetherSeraph.jpg

TuggyNE
2014-01-11, 05:43 AM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/130/a/1/Baleful_Polymorph_by_AetherSeraph.jpg

Huh. What's the figure in the center, exactly? It looks vaguely humanoid, but also vaguely owlbearish somehow.

Milo v3
2014-01-11, 05:50 AM
Huh. What's the figure in the center, exactly? It looks vaguely humanoid, but also vaguely owlbearish somehow.

I "think" it's a monkey.

The_Final_Stand
2014-01-11, 05:52 AM
You have just been attacked by an Orangutan that is touchy about being called a "monkey".

That's the Librarian, from Discworld. He got turned into an ape, and finds it useful since he can get about the bookshelves with ease and read books no man was meant to read. Because, you know, he isn't a man anymore.

endoperez
2014-01-11, 07:48 AM
I noticed the same thing - it's impossible to tell what the Librarian's species is, from the image alone, if you don't recognize the character from reading the books.

Something like this would make for a better poster.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/309/6/f/the_librarian___discworld__by_the_primitive_muse-d4f6ll5.jpg

http://the-primitive-muse.deviantart.com/art/The-Librarian-Discworld-267366857

dehro
2014-01-11, 10:27 AM
I "think" it's a monkey.

oh, boy... !
:smalleek:

Turalisj
2014-01-11, 10:51 AM
I "think" it's a monkey.

Hit the deck! :smalleek:

Ilorin Lorati
2014-01-11, 11:37 AM
With the slew of Diplomacy jokes last page, it felt like a good time to redo my very first demotivator with a new image and small-text:

http://i43.tinypic.com/5arlv8.jpg
I like this version a lot better.:smallbiggrin:

Makes me wonder just what class and level Nanoha is.

Yora
2014-01-11, 12:27 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/960399de0816ac0a45d14f59ff83f9d7/tumblr_mz8z0fshAU1rv231do1_1280.jpg

https://24.media.tumblr.com/6706e69c84201df782d6c921ed68c507/tumblr_mz8k6mk3Dj1rv231do1_1280.jpg

alanek2002
2014-01-11, 12:31 PM
Makes me wonder just what class and level Nanoha is.

Probably a Re-tooled warmage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131346), between 14 and 19.
Class was chosen due to intelligence mattering highly for bonus damage, and nanoha need very high level math to cast, if I recall. minimum 14 because mid-childan magic has a setting to not be lethal, and less than 20 because it grants free metamagic at 20.

Yora
2014-01-11, 01:04 PM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/37e4341c6a0b9776f6f9c86f861a28fd/tumblr_mz90ttfQXj1rv231do1_1280.jpg

Arkhosia
2014-01-11, 01:09 PM
https://24.media.tumblr.com/37e4341c6a0b9776f6f9c86f861a28fd/tumblr_mz90ttfQXj1rv231do1_1280.jpg

What show is that from?

Yora
2014-01-11, 01:35 PM
Nichijou. It's all about completely ordinary things being done in a rediculously overblown anime way.
And it goes way higher than Azumanga Daioh. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2014-01-11, 09:02 PM
Nichijou. It's all about completely ordinary things being done in a rediculously overblown anime way.
And it goes way higher than Azumanga Daioh. :smallbiggrin:

Little girl pokes herself in the finger with something sharp.

Little girl obliterates galaxy with her scream of pain.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKE01R9DyY) is a different clip, but its the one that got me started on youtube trolling for more.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-12, 01:06 AM
Little girl pokes herself in the finger with something sharp.

Little girl obliterates galaxy with her scream of pain.

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKE01R9DyY) is a different clip, but its the one that got me started on youtube trolling for more.

...I have to watch this show now.:smalleek:

(Also, Yora, you might want to add "Nanoha" to the tags on my last poster.)

Mutazoia
2014-01-12, 11:07 AM
Couldn't resist....

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/44787951.jpg

Arkhosia
2014-01-12, 11:11 AM
Couldn't resist....

*Applause*

http://diy.despair.com/builders/downloadpic.php?n=o:L,%20f:SHAREshare/61822492.jpg

Lentrax
2014-01-12, 11:30 AM
Couldn't resist....

Too bad there isn't room for the obvious last line of the ad:

"Stay healthy, my friends."

Mutazoia
2014-01-12, 11:48 AM
And just for good measure....

http://i41.tinypic.com/dha5np.jpg

Amaril
2014-01-12, 11:53 AM
Couldn't resist....

*Ahem*
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0937.html

Mutazoia
2014-01-12, 12:14 PM
Yes...very good. That's what I was getting at.

Amaril
2014-01-12, 12:36 PM
Yes...very good. That's what I was getting at.

Wasn't sure whether you'd taken it from there or the other way around, I just thought it warranted mentioning, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't aware.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-12, 02:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5hiDOvP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bIrsvLR.jpg

Manly Man
2014-01-12, 02:05 PM
For the second one there, I once had a black dragon NPC who hung around with the team's bard, but as a wyrmling that was about the size of a large housecat. Even though in his full form he could have slaughtered the entire party, nobody took him seriously, because he was just too durned cute, what with all his pouting and threats.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-12, 06:48 PM
Wasn't sure whether you'd taken it from there or the other way around, I just thought it warranted mentioning, for the benefit of anyone who wasn't aware.

Hit the deck (again)!:smalleek:

Stone Heart
2014-01-12, 08:50 PM
I noticed the same thing - it's impossible to tell what the Librarian's species is, from the image alone, if you don't recognize the character from reading the books.

I am sorry but I have never read the books or heard of the character, and I immediately saw the Orangutan. I did not get why it was the "one time" that it was a benefit, but definitely an Orangutan.

dehro
2014-01-13, 03:01 AM
go. read. the. books.
(seriously, they're amazing)

Kaww
2014-01-14, 06:35 AM
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af21/Churchil88/Zombiebarbarian_zps4142efc6.jpg?t=1389698969

Original image here (http://primordials-online.com/rise-of-the-draugr/).

Manly Man
2014-01-14, 09:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/12pmucq.jpg

thorr-kan
2014-01-15, 12:46 PM
O
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/Omnikar/All-Warforged_zps64e09f8e.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Omnikar/media/All-Warforged_zps64e09f8e.jpg.html)

NONONO! You're doing it w...!

Wait. That's...just about perfect, isn't it?

:)

Yora
2014-01-15, 05:19 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/f5a416554848bc8d3eff4a81532cc5bc/tumblr_mzgrb4XAKV1sbkjbgo1_1280.jpg

Supposedly, Toshiro Mifune was originally the first choice for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-15, 08:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/12pmucq.jpg

17 actually.

Erik Vale
2014-01-15, 10:22 PM
That's why you have large sprawling ones.

My Sorcerers in PF are generally Tattoo Sorcerers that pick up the relevant item creation feat, False Focus and Infernal Influence, and then get covered in fire ink tattoos, tattooed religious symbols, and tattooed pages of spell knowledge. Looks cool and creates great crunch.

GPuzzle
2014-01-16, 10:04 AM
Lurker tax.
Sorry if the image's a bit bad.
http://i.imgur.com/A4ZdW2K.jpg

Marnath
2014-01-16, 10:33 AM
Lurker tax.
Sorry if the image's a bit bad.
http://i.imgur.com/A4ZdW2K.jpg

It would have to be extra hit points or + to attack, the last thing a dude with levels in Expert needs is even more skill points. He's probably already got more than he needs. :smalltongue:

GPuzzle
2014-01-16, 10:38 AM
Well, you can't say that he was an expert back in Black Mesa, were his job as a test subject was essentially "push the cart into the machine.

Marnath
2014-01-16, 10:52 AM
Well, you can't say that he was an expert back in Black Mesa, were his job as a test subject was essentially "push the cart into the machine.

The man has a doctorate in Theoretical Physics. Just because his employer is squandering his talents doesn't mean he isn't a genius.

GPuzzle
2014-01-16, 11:03 AM
Yeah, there's always that. Besides, it was a reference to Darths and Droids, more specifically this: http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0052.html

huttj509
2014-01-16, 01:08 PM
The man has a doctorate in Theoretical Physics. Just because his employer is squandering his talents doesn't mean he isn't a genius.

In addition, Experimentalists often need to do things to make experiments, youknow, work.

Who do you want soldering the wires for the experiment that will either make you famous, or blow you up? Someone who just knows how to solder according to the diagram, or someone who understands the experiment and why the wires are where they are?

Sith_Happens
2014-01-16, 01:56 PM
Who do you want soldering the wires for the experiment that will either make you famous, or blow you up? Someone who just knows how to solder according to the diagram, or someone who understands the experiment and why the wires are where they are?

Uh, the first guy, actually. If my experiment is that important and/or dangerous, there's no way in Hell I'm assigning the technical aspects to anyone that hasn't been to technical school.

jindra34
2014-01-16, 02:11 PM
Uh, the first guy, actually. If my experiment is that important and/or dangerous, there's no way in Hell I'm assigning the technical aspects to anyone that hasn't been to technical school.

More specifically have the work done by the first guy, but before being put anywhere reviewed by the second. Have the most skilled do the work, but have the most knowing make sure it ends up right.

Urpriest
2014-01-16, 06:06 PM

In reality, on the other hand, experimentalists totally assemble things, and theorists don't do experiments.

But back to Half-Life-verse...

alanek2002
2014-01-16, 08:03 PM
Posting a couple I just made, in theme for the thread. Hope ya'll like. :smallbiggrin:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/843/i224.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/196/9hjk.jpg

Pretty sure that is a headcrab that he punched out of it's skin.

First track of rail has been re-set. Shall the train continue? Shall the train jump off once more? Only time will tell...

Arkhosia
2014-01-16, 08:28 PM
Posting a couple I just made, in theme for the thread. Hope ya'll like. :smallbiggrin:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/843/i224.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/196/9hjk.jpg

Pretty sure that is a headcrab that he punched out of it's skin.

First track of rail has been re-set. Shall the train continue? Shall the train jump off once more? Only time will tell...

http://diy.despair.com/builders/downloadpic.php?n=o:L,%20f:SHAREshare/68382719.jpg
Like Insubordination, for example.

alanek2002
2014-01-16, 08:34 PM
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/839/j463.jpg

Erik Vale
2014-01-16, 08:40 PM
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/ErikVale/Mobile%20Uploads/motivatorca8526efc55504030d1b5625da83d348eb807c61_ zps8d59346c.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/user/ErikVale/media/Mobile%20Uploads/motivatorca8526efc55504030d1b5625da83d348eb807c61_ zps8d59346c.jpg.html)

Slipperychicken
2014-01-16, 08:47 PM
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/839/j463.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fbiapdr.jpg

MesiDoomstalker
2014-01-16, 08:54 PM
http://diy.despair.com/builders/downloadpic.php?n=o:L,%20f:SHAREshare/68382719.jpg
Like Insubordination, for example.

My sides! The pain!

Forrestfire
2014-01-16, 09:04 PM
Since we're escalating...

http://i.imgur.com/ERc0rK8.png

alanek2002
2014-01-16, 09:05 PM
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/837/f7ln.jpg

And thus we go back again to shotgun.

Edit: No! You ruined the cycle, you swordsage! NOOOOOO!

NEO|Phyte
2014-01-16, 09:06 PM

That wasn't a nuke, though.

alanek2002
2014-01-16, 09:13 PM
Escalation 2: Cheat Harder

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/750x600q90/191/5z7l.jpg

Edit: Second to last page start! Start voting on the next title!

My vote: D&D Demotivaters VIII: Endless posters

(Get it? Endless eight? No?... I'll just crawl into this corner and cry then...)

Forrestfire
2014-01-16, 09:17 PM
I'm... actually now wondering who would win. Maybe we should go call Fan into here :smallamused::smalltongue:

Ryu_Bonkosi
2014-01-16, 11:14 PM
My vote would be on Team Dai Gurren, if they believe hard enough, they will win.

alanek2002
2014-01-16, 11:32 PM
Yeah... super can destroy a planet with one punch, at the top of his power level. The final form of gurren lagann can toss galaxies like shuriken.

Spore
2014-01-16, 11:51 PM
I'm... actually now wondering who would win. Maybe we should go call Fan into here :smallamused::smalltongue:

As any good fight, highly dependant on the battle area. Superman is pretty weak with no sun around :)

Manly Man
2014-01-17, 12:13 AM
This all depends on whether we're using pre-Crisis Superman or not, who can sneeze a galaxy into nonexistence.

Spoiler'd for mild language.

http://i.imgur.com/C5TwIOt.jpg

A Tad Insane
2014-01-17, 02:13 AM
How about Helltrain: It can't solve derailing?

Ionbound
2014-01-17, 09:19 AM
I propose the New Thread title be: D&D Demotivators VIII: We've Filled Up Google, and We're Still Going

Sith_Happens
2014-01-17, 10:12 AM
D&Demotivators VIII: Poster? I hardly know her!

D&Demotivators VIII: [Demotivating Intensifies]

D&Demotivators VIII: Such Posters. Very RPG. Wow.

Yora
2014-01-17, 10:22 AM
Now I want to make some Doges & Dragons images.

Noedig
2014-01-17, 10:47 AM
D8D Demotivators: VIII Pointed Stars.

We've never had a 40k reference for the thread. Also, we missed a prime opportunity with this thread because it could have been 'D&D Demotivators Episode VII: WHAT'S IN THE BOX?!' Instead of Bighugelabs, which we have done once before.

AngelSword
2014-01-17, 10:49 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8008872192/h75177993/ (http://cheezburger.com/8008872192)

D&Demotivators VIII: Now With 20% More Posters (hopefully)!

Andezzar
2014-01-17, 10:56 AM
D8D Demotivators: VIII Pointed Stars.
D&Demotivators VIII: Pics for the Pics God

Amidus Drexel
2014-01-17, 11:00 AM
D&Demotivators VIII: Poster? I hardly know her!

These are all great, although I must cast my vote for the third one. :smallbiggrin:

AngelSword
2014-01-17, 11:13 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8008919040/h9EB542B1/ (http://cheezburger.com/8008919040)

GPuzzle
2014-01-17, 12:17 PM
More of lurking tax because I have been lurking around the other pages, so hell, why not.

http://i.imgur.com/s1QZRZb.jpg (http://imgur.com/s1QZRZb)

What amuses me about this photo more than the fact that Keith Moon has just exploded his drums is that John Entwistle acts like nothing has happened and is still playing the bass.

Astral Avenger
2014-01-17, 01:11 PM
D&Demotivators VIII: We inspired Henderson
D&Demotivators VIII: Take 1d8 San damage, no save
D&Demotivators VIII: Hi there little kitty

SiuiS
2014-01-17, 02:10 PM

Now I want to make some Doges & Dragons images.

A winner is you!

Arkhosia
2014-01-17, 02:33 PM
D&Demotivators VIII: I'm A Mac, and I'm a Player Character.

Spore
2014-01-17, 02:47 PM
Can someone calmly and objectively explain to me why humanized animals with speech impediments are fun? I love my cats but I hated the LOLcats wave a few years ago. This is even dumber.

Arkhosia
2014-01-17, 02:49 PM
Can someone calmly and objectively explain to me why humanized animals with speech impediments are fun? I love my cats but I hated the LOLcats wave a few years ago. This is even dumber.

I think it's usually the choice of caption for the picture.

And no, I don't understand Doge memes either.

Hunter Noventa
2014-01-17, 03:41 PM

This is the way!

Arkhosia
2014-01-17, 03:54 PM
This is the way!

Agreed! :smallbiggrin:

Spore
2014-01-17, 05:12 PM
Imgurians here? Or is that term from reddit? :O

http://www.abload.de/img/49686620kjjk3.gif

Apes should be played on more druids. Why certain Hominidae do not get Int 3 is beyond me. =/

Forrestfire
2014-01-17, 05:52 PM
[Voting for [Demotivating Intensifies] intensifies]

Dienekes
2014-01-17, 07:15 PM

People confuse cute with funny. An animal looking friendly is considered cute, and loveable. While having them communicate allows the viewer to see what we believe goes through the mind of an animal, and since we picture them as cute and friendly (and less intelligent than us), this is depicted in a grammatically incorrect way, that is vaguely reminiscent of a toddler mangling their words. Another thing that is supposedly cute and therefore funny.

Personally, I don't like it either.

It should also be noted everything I said is completely made up by me and is unverifiable. Except that last line above. I don't like it. I'm not bothered by it, like some meme, but I don't find it funny.

GPuzzle
2014-01-17, 07:55 PM
I vote for [Demotivating Intesifies] too.

Manly Man
2014-01-17, 08:57 PM
Considering how much evidence I've seen that supports the idea, I think his name should be changed to Keith Lichards.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2q0pzd2.jpg

Slipperychicken
2014-01-17, 11:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PemxeLc.jpg

Sith_Happens
2014-01-18, 03:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/PemxeLc.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why this one specifically is so funny, but it is.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2e3aibp.jpg
Before anyone asks, the image is from Attack on Titan.

Shadow Viper
2014-01-18, 08:04 AM

Edit: No! You ruined the cycle, you swordsage! NOOOOOO!

Which game is that from?

GPuzzle
2014-01-18, 08:43 AM
Considering how much evidence I've seen that supports the idea, I think his name should be changed to Keith Lichards.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2q0pzd2.jpg

He's a Bard that took the Archlich epic destiny, obviously.

Spore
2014-01-18, 09:26 AM
Not a demotivator per se but the pic is awesome enough to not be overlooked.

http://i.imgur.com/s0DTUua.png

alanek2002
2014-01-18, 12:08 PM
Adding my vote to [Demotivating Intensified]!

Which game is that from?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-18, 12:37 PM
...And here comes Sudden Stroke of Attack on Titan-Related Genius #2. Now paired with EXALTED:

http://oi42.tinypic.com/15eh79j.jpg

Andezzar
2014-01-18, 01:31 PM
He's a Bard that took the Archlich epic destiny, obviously.That sounds like 4.0. Keith "Lichards" is way to old for that.

Can't see the ears though, so he might be a Baelnorn. He does not strike my as particularly evil.

Arkhosia
2014-01-18, 01:38 PM
...And here comes Sudden Stroke of Attack on Titan-Related Genius #2. Now paired with EXALTED:

Is that Mikasa, or someone else?

Sith_Happens
2014-01-18, 02:27 PM
Is that Mikasa, or someone else?

Who else ever makes a face like that?

Arkhosia
2014-01-18, 02:32 PM
Who else ever makes a face like that?

Fair point.
In my defense though, I've only seen the first episode, clips, and an abridged version.

Turalisj
2014-01-18, 02:42 PM

Mikasa, aka "potato girl".

aka "I will destroy anyone who hurts Erin."

Sith_Happens
2014-01-18, 02:54 PM
Incorrect, Sasha is Potato Girl.

Arkhosia
2014-01-18, 02:56 PM
Incorrect, Sasha is Potato Girl.

To quote the Abridged version:
Potatoes are really high in calories.
You know a good way to burn calories?
*Cuts to Sasha running*

alanek2002
2014-01-18, 03:35 PM
With six votes, [Demotivating intensifies] had the most, with doge having 3 votes, (+1 for another varient of Doge.)

Without further ado, I present ye with a new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326224)!

I'd have waited for The Tygre to post a new one like he did for the past three, but he hasn't posted on this thread for a while.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-01-19, 04:10 AM
D&D Demotivators VIII: We've Filled Up Google, and We're Still Going
Voting for this. But really, anything but Doge...

Shadow Viper
2014-01-19, 05:00 AM
Adding my vote to [Demotivating Intensified]!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2014-01-19, 07:04 AM
Voting for this. But really, anything but Doge...

Well, it's too late to vote now, but at least it wasn't Doge.

TheTurboTornado
2016-03-29, 01:36 PM
We once melted a die in the physics lab. With a laser.

Mind if I sig that?