PDA

View Full Version : Players getting angry at the law

Mrhelpful
2013-03-29, 10:14 PM
So I've been running a pretty basic 3.5 campaign at the moment. The PCs are currently in the capital of my homebrew setting. The city is heavy military, and the primary deity is St. Cuthbert. They were warned ahead of time that the law is very well equipped. So far, in the three days they've been in the city, they've blown up part of a guard post, killed two guards, injured several more, and assaulted a tailor. They then returned to the scene of the crime to try and exploit a bartender, killed him, and were then nearly caught again.

The party is about half evil, half neutral with a dash of Chaotic good, made up of mostly newbie players. The evil rogue is running the show at the moment, and his player has consistently complained the guard is "way too efficient." The most experienced player has said it's fine.

Basically, they're playing stupid, and they don't think they are. They want to change their characters out for "something better" and I'm not sure what to do.

Juntao112
2013-03-29, 10:15 PM
Kill them all. Then they get to make new characters.

Hendel
2013-03-29, 10:18 PM
Amen! Just have the law come down on them, arrest or kill them, and let them make new characters.

You may, however, want to have an out of game talk about what the players want. That way you are not frustrated and they do not act like idiots.

Greenish
2013-03-29, 10:22 PM
As long as one of them really optimizes the Profession (Barrister) check, they'll do fine. :smalltongue:

Namfuak
2013-03-29, 10:29 PM
It seems to me that if they want new characters and prefer a wild-west type of law system, have the guards capture them and execute them, and make their new characters start in a rural area of the same setting.

EDIT: Though, in my opinion, people playing chaotic stupid characters breaks my verisimilitude, and frankly has never appealed to me in the slightest.

Krobar
2013-03-29, 10:31 PM
Yeah, it's about time they get taken down by an angry city guard, maybe put on trial and executed. Sometimes players need to learn that the world doesn't just roll over and take everything they want to dish out.

Twilightwyrm
2013-03-29, 10:33 PM
It seems to me that if they want new characters and prefer a wild-west type of law system, have the guards capture them and execute them, and make their new characters start in a rural area of the same setting.

Or, you know, they could just be permanently exiled from the city to some sort of place where they send convicts (like Australia was for the British).

Namfuak
2013-03-29, 10:34 PM
Or, you know, they could just be permanently exiled from the city to some sort of place where they send convicts (like Australia was for the British).

"And the very next thing that you know/
you've landed in Van Diemen's Land!

Clericzilla
2013-03-29, 10:49 PM
I'm sure there would be some witnesses or at least word getting around that the PC's are the ones that harrased the tailor and killed the other...

Some ideas...

1: Martial Law due to terrorist attacks

2: Have a guard on duty at every shop, to buy anything you must show your papers.

3: Currently they have been dealing with the foot soldiers, now they get to deal with the elite guards of the town (elite ninja samurai paladins types)

4: If word got around what the PCs look like then a sting operation could be done where a guard will pose as a shop keeper.... ;)

Mrhelpful
2013-03-29, 10:51 PM
The one thing that's keeping me from performing a TPK on them is that about half them have just sort of been deceived by the rogue, and they actually like their characters. The half that wants to change are the rogue, and the more experienced player, because his character is unable help much, RP wise.

At this point, I've been contemplating just sending and Inevitable or a elite squad after the rogue, since he's been seen the most. Does that seem like a reasonable response?

Either way, I think I do need to have a talk about what they want.

Kane0
2013-03-29, 11:44 PM
Yep, send in the law. Maybe not to kill, but definitely to take them one way or another.

If at all possible have them caught and tried, then due for execution. That gives them time to work on their escape (or defense, bribe, etc) or for you to come up with some kind of way to save them if they can't bail themselves. Also will hopefully change some of that stupidity.

If you go bail them, make sure there are strings attached. Eg Maybe their benefactor needs them to keep up what their doing to distract the guard from his work, but he cannot bail them out a second time.

Zerter
2013-03-30, 03:33 AM
I would always seperate those responsible from those that are not. Execute the Rogue? sure. Execute the guy that is trying to pull them in the other direction? Not so much. I know they are, in the eyes of the law, a group. However in the meta-game a newbie player is simply not likely to to abandon or kill a fellow PC because he is out of line. Of course make sure it all makes sense in-game.

I had a similiar situation a few weeks ago by the way. In the end they were arrested and I had them shipped to a island with at the center a heavily gaurded prison. They escaped eventually, but at that point they still had to survive in the wild and find a way back. There was also a leader like the Rogue, but at this point he is the only surviving character from that group that was send to the prison. The wild is not a nice place.

ArcturusV
2013-03-30, 03:51 AM
Well, in game it'd make sense as you could just have someone go Alignment Pinging on them. "Oh, that guy detects as good. He's spared.... the rest of you will go to trial however."

But yeah. This is a problem that players have quite often. They think they are being brilliant. And oftentimes, it's not so brilliant. Or they are being brutish thugs and think they are dashing heroes. All a matter of perspective and expectations I suppose. If your criminal elements are complaining about the Guard being on their trail (And if they are competent in even the slightest, they should be dogging them ever since killing a guard/torching a guard post), let them know it might be a good idea to go to ground until the heat dies down.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-03-30, 04:00 AM

For night and day, the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves
we toil, and toil and when we die must fill dishonoured graves.
But by and by I'll break my chains; into the bush I'll go
and join the brave bushrangers there — Jack Donauoe and Co.
and some dark night when everything is silent in the town
I'll kill the tyrants one and all and shoot the floggers down;
I'll give the law a little shock; remember what I say,
They'll yet regret they sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay.

EDIT: Forgive me if something is awry, this is from memory. It is Jack Donahue, right?

Man on Fire
2013-03-30, 08:10 AM
So I've been running a pretty basic 3.5 campaign at the moment. The PCs are currently in the capital of my homebrew setting. The city is heavy military, and the primary deity is St. Cuthbert. They were warned ahead of time that the law is very well equipped. So far, in the three days they've been in the city, they've blown up part of a guard post, killed two guards, injured several more, and assaulted a tailor. They then returned to the scene of the crime to try and exploit a bartender, killed him, and were then nearly caught again.

The party is about half evil, half neutral with a dash of Chaotic good, made up of mostly newbie players. The evil rogue is running the show at the moment, and his player has consistently complained the guard is "way too efficient." The most experienced player has said it's fine.

Basically, they're playing stupid, and they don't think they are. They want to change their characters out for "something better" and I'm not sure what to do.

Make the campaign to be about them fighting against the law. Whaever plot you had in mind, incorporate it into this. Also, do the following:
* Make guards very effective, forcing them to play it smart if they want to survive.
* Make every bad deed they commit have a consequence appriorate to the crime. They killed the guards you say? Turns out one of them had a sister in thieves guild - their relationship was cold, but it's stil lthe family, so she wants, as 4chan would say, "revengance". They blew up guard post? There was a necromancer imprisoned there, he managed to escape, and now is murdering people serial killer style and PCs are put to blame. Assaulted tailor is revealed to hold valuable piece of information he won't give to people who jumped him. Bartender was in league with group of bandit orcs who plot to assault the city, now they think PCs are on their trail and want to murder them before they'll reveal their plans. Make them realize every action has consequences
* Lets the bounty hunters start hunting on them
* Introduce some sort of Sheriff of Nothingham style antagonist, who takes over the city guard, starts martial law and do everythign he can to be their pain in the butt, forcing them to go underground and start ressistance.
* Don't pull any punches, if somebody is to die, he dies.

Gnaeus
2013-03-30, 08:16 AM
As I recall, the old Desert of Desolation series begins with the PCs being exiled into the desert, and told that if they ever come back, they have their choice of methods of execution. The only way out is through the desert (or I guess by teleport if they level enough).

Seharvepernfan
2013-03-30, 08:21 AM
They're not ready for a game like yours, obviously. My guess is that they're just not mature enough for it. Or they think D&D is a pen-and-paper version of GTA.

Regardless, maybe try a more hack-n-slash/kick-in-the-door/dungeon-crawl type of adventure next time.

Clericzilla
2013-03-30, 08:48 AM
Well, in game it'd make sense as you could just have someone go Alignment Pinging on them. "Oh, that guy detects as good. He's spared.... the rest of you will go to trial however."

But then they would get a mistrial....

Octopusapult
2013-03-30, 09:01 AM

I don't think this would work, because "Exile" is another law imposed on a bunch of people who have really no taste for the issue. So it'd just end up being broken with dead PC's.

The one thing that's keeping me from performing a TPK on them is that about half them have just sort of been deceived by the rogue, and they actually like their characters. The half that wants to change are the rogue, and the more experienced player, because his character is unable help much, RP wise.

At this point, I've been contemplating just sending and Inevitable or a elite squad after the rogue, since he's been seen the most. Does that seem like a reasonable response?

Either way, I think I do need to have a talk about what they want.

Justiciar from MM-III might work just as well. Or an Angel if it comes to that. You could even say the characters escape the grips of the angel and give them a half-fiend template to bring them back as the BBEG(s).

Then your players can see firsthand how frustrating their characters have been.

But yeah. This is a problem that players have quite often. They think they are being brilliant. And oftentimes, it's not so brilliant. Or they are being brutish thugs and think they are dashing heroes. All a matter of perspective and expectations I suppose. If your criminal elements are complaining about the Guard being on their trail (And if they are competent in even the slightest, they should be dogging them ever since killing a guard/torching a guard post), let them know it might be a good idea to go to ground until the heat dies down.

This is the story of some brilliant villains though. Handsome Jack is the first one to come to mind, but I'm sure there are others.

Just people convinced they're the hero and this world is entitled to them because...well how could it not be?

Palanan
2013-03-30, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan
They're not ready for a game like yours, obviously. My guess is that they're just not mature enough for it. Or they think D&D is a pen-and-paper version of GTA.

I have to agree there are potential maturity issues here. It sounds like the OP has been more than fair by warning them in advance that the city is militarized and strictly run.

If they actively want to switch characters, then problem solved. Let them blunder their way through the city a little longer, let the guard be "way too efficient" and corner them, and then give them a chance to die in a blaze of glory messy, undignified fracas in a back alley. Hang whoever's left. Give the faintly good-ish character(s) a way out by offering some form of clemency, and let them be the nucleus of a new party.

If the rogue is the ringleader--and it sounds like he is, both in-game and at the table--and if he's been spotted around town, then you're absolutely justified in sending an elite squad after him. A city effectively under martial law wouldn't do otherwise. If the rogue has been chaotic-stupid enough to leave obvious clues, make it plain they helped the elite squad track him down.

Originally Posted by Hendel
You may, however, want to have an out of game talk about what the players want.

And absolutely, definitely this. It sounds like you have very different degrees of maturity and game experience at your table. And some players just don't take hints.

ArcturusV
2013-03-30, 01:40 PM
Oh, I know. I've never really played evil that was all "Mwahahahah! I am evil! For.... EVIL! EVIL!!!" like a lot of Evil NPCs are posted up to be. I've had evil characters who were heroes in their own minds. I've had evil characters who were heroes in the minds of the rest of the world (Which just goes to prove how stupid the Good Guys were in that campaign). It's not a bad thing at all. Long as the players are Genre Aware of it.

But it sounds like that isn't really the case. It's a guy who thinks he's clever, or thinks everyone else is a moron, maybe both, who is sounding kind of surprised that he's not by far the most clever one in the city. Which is a problem I've had before with characters.

One thing I like to do, particularly when I'm running "Mystery" adventures, but also when that situation comes up, is to keep an Incident/Clue Notebook. This can eliminate, or at least mitigate, some "metagaming" and "DM hates me!" arguments when they come up.

You just take some notes of things as they happen. Things like "Rogue did not check for witnesses and Old Lady Johnson, who I described as sitting next to a window, looking out onto the street when I set up the scene spotted the Rogue breaking into her neighbor's house."

"Rogue failed to actually kill the guard in question and he made his stabilization roll, was recovered by a Cleric on the Government Payroll, and IDed the Rogue who stabbed him."

Things like that. Just keep taking notes of things. Even small things like, "Rogue lifted a particular ring from a site. Later that day a well known pawn shop bought the ring from the rogue."

As long as you have the recorded clues written down... it makes it feel less like you're picking on them and more like your Guards are mildly competent. If they start in with "Well this is stupid, you're Metagaming, they had no way to know it was me!" you can just whip out your notebook and point out the series of clues.

Evard
2013-03-30, 11:30 PM
Oh, I know. I've never really played evil that was all "Mwahahahah! I am evil! For.... EVIL! EVIL!!!" like a lot of Evil NPCs are posted up to be. I've had evil characters who were heroes in their own minds. I've had evil characters who were heroes in the minds of the rest of the world (Which just goes to prove how stupid the Good Guys were in that campaign). It's not a bad thing at all. Long as the players are Genre Aware of it.

But it sounds like that isn't really the case. It's a guy who thinks he's clever, or thinks everyone else is a moron, maybe both, who is sounding kind of surprised that he's not by far the most clever one in the city. Which is a problem I've had before with characters.

One thing I like to do, particularly when I'm running "Mystery" adventures, but also when that situation comes up, is to keep an Incident/Clue Notebook. This can eliminate, or at least mitigate, some "metagaming" and "DM hates me!" arguments when they come up.

You just take some notes of things as they happen. Things like "Rogue did not check for witnesses and Old Lady Johnson, who I described as sitting next to a window, looking out onto the street when I set up the scene spotted the Rogue breaking into her neighbor's house."

"Rogue failed to actually kill the guard in question and he made his stabilization roll, was recovered by a Cleric on the Government Payroll, and IDed the Rogue who stabbed him."

Things like that. Just keep taking notes of things. Even small things like, "Rogue lifted a particular ring from a site. Later that day a well known pawn shop bought the ring from the rogue."

As long as you have the recorded clues written down... it makes it feel less like you're picking on them and more like your Guards are mildly competent. If they start in with "Well this is stupid, you're Metagaming, they had no way to know it was me!" you can just whip out your notebook and point out the series of clues.

This works wonders for a game.

This is also how I deal with readied actions actually. I have the player (or myself) write down the trigger on a piece of paper and lay it face down. Then if the trigger happens it happens and the players don't feel like the DM (me) forced the trigger to work or not work.

Sith_Happens
2013-03-31, 03:16 AM
This works wonders for a game.

This is also how I deal with readied actions actually. I have the player (or myself) write down the trigger on a piece of paper and lay it face down. Then if the trigger happens it happens and the players don't feel like the DM (me) forced the trigger to work or not work.

*flip*
YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD READIED ACTION!

Waker
2013-03-31, 03:42 AM
They are complaining that the guards and military forces who worship The God Of Law are too competent? Would they prefer they stumble around utterly flabbergasted at clues like "Rogue wuz here"?
These guys have moved beyond petty criminals. Multiple acts of murder, including agents of the law, is going to demand an appropriate response. Urban rangers, paladins, clerics and even perhaps a wizard should be included. Justicar (Cwar) would definitely fit in, as would a Consecrated Harrier or Bloodhound. Come at the party with lethal force, though anyone who surrenders and is knocked unconscious will be taken alive. Afterwards, have a trial using the information available, along with what can be found via divination.
Surviving party members might be given a choice of exile or serving the state.

super dark33
2013-03-31, 04:05 AM
Send the tough anti hero paladin Flint Ironstag to serve them their own butts.

LITTERALY.

Juntao112
2013-03-31, 04:09 AM
Send the tough anti hero paladin Flint Ironstag to serve them their own butts.

LITTERALY.

Why? Is martial artist Big McLargeHuge not available?

Evard
2013-03-31, 09:47 AM
*flip*
YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD READIED ACTION!

Essentially yes, it gives some drama to the DM too.

How most groups do it is a player says "I ready an action for when mr X charges at me" then the DM has a problem...

A) If he wasn't going to charge then the PCs will think he is purposly avoiding the readied action.
B)if he charges it looks like he is purposly did it to trigger the readied action.
C)if he triggers some PCs readied actions but not others... OMG favortism! (Sigh)

Anyway on topic...

OP: How about a few helms of oposite allignment? ;)

Krobar
2013-03-31, 10:04 AM
They are complaining that the guards and military forces who worship The God Of Law are too competent? Would they prefer they stumble around utterly flabbergasted at clues like "Rogue wuz here"?
These guys have moved beyond petty criminals. Multiple acts of murder, including agents of the law, is going to demand an appropriate response. Urban rangers, paladins, clerics and even perhaps a wizard should be included. Justicar (Cwar) would definitely fit in, as would a Consecrated Harrier or Bloodhound. Come at the party with lethal force, though anyone who surrenders and is knocked unconscious will be taken alive. Afterwards, have a trial using the information available, along with what can be found via divination.
Surviving party members might be given a choice of exile or serving the state.

This.

These guys aren't petty thieves or pickpockets. They're murderers. And the authorities will be looking for them in a very serious way. There should be bounties on their heads commensurate with the crimes they've committed and bounty hunters should be after them in addition to guards and soldiers.

Now, if certain members go turn themselves in, the authorities *might* go easy on them. But if they all flee to avoid prosecution, or even worse kill more guards / etc. as they flee, they're all going to be viewed as guilty. And they'll probably all be executed when they're finally caught and tried. If they're tried at all, depending on how the local government does things.

SlyJohnny
2013-03-31, 10:12 AM
Wow, so many "lol just kill them" solutions offered. The situation has been allowed to progress this far, TPK is not going to be an enjoyable option for anyone, guys.

Here's another solution: well-equipped law enforcement doesn't mean "no crime", it means a wilier and well-equipped criminal element, possibly one funded by an opposing nation-state or a religious group that's an enemy of the Church of the Cudgel. So this party of yours is making a scene and bringing down the heat, which the local criminals don't want- but they're also apparently powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with the law. I'm thinking they've come to the attention of the local crimelords

Have them be contacted by a representative of whatever passes for the thieves guild around here. Have them be offered a safe house or some kind of refuge or base, where they can lay low. Lush accommodations, access to mundane equipment, drugs and girls ("Or boys? Whichever you prefer"), all the trimmings. Have a more experienced criminal operative express admiration for "their work so far", but explain they've made a couple rookie mistakes, and were surely going to be arrested and executed were it not for the kind intervention of the thieves guild. But they don't expect payment for this generosity: in fact, they want to offer the party some work! There's this thing (or person. Or mythological beast.) they want liberated from the fortified temple vaults. None of their operatives have managed to get close, so far, but a team like the party...

Cue heist movie with possible political complications.

Hyde
2013-03-31, 10:18 AM
The only way the PCs live is if there they have some kind of scry-blocker or if the law is incongruently against big-brother style scrying.

Anyway, you could always borrow my favorite guard captain- he's a tauric silver dragon.

Clistenes
2013-03-31, 11:00 AM
The rogue complains that the guard is too efficient and he should be able to rob everybody blind without their interference? Good. Send the Mob against them:

The local Thieve's Guild is pissed that there are interlopers making noise, disturbing the city guard and stepping on their toes, and they send a messenger with an ultimatum: Join the guild, pay a tithe for all you earnings, obey our rules, and don't steal anything without our permission...or else...

They will be forced to either play smart or start a war against the organized crime AND the law enforcers. Both ways are interesting and full of interesting options.

Clericzilla
2013-03-31, 11:18 AM
The rogue complains that the guard is too efficient and he should be able to rob everybody blind without their interference? Good. Send the Mob against them:

The local Thieve's Guild is pissed that there are interlopers making noise, disturbing the city guard and stepping on their toes, and they send a messenger with an ultimatum: Join the guild, pay a tither for all you earnings, obey our rules, and don't steal anything without our permission...or else...

They will be forced to either play smart or start a war against the organized crime AND the law enforcers. Both ways are interesting and full of interesting options.

I'm pretty sure these two are the same thing :smallbiggrin:

But I could see another scenario where the guards go to the Mob Boss and tell him that if this Rogue isn't taken care of in house (thinking the PCs are part of the thieves guild) then the guards will not only take the PCs out but the thieves guild for "allowing" them to run amok.

The party could see people being taken in for being in the mob as a clue to whats going on and yeah....

Essentially the PCs forced the government's hand into dealing with an organization that isn't responsible.

Or you know... The "good" (relative) PCs could always rat out their party members to the guards.... :smallamused:

Hylas
2013-03-31, 11:28 AM
How about when they're caught (because it sounds like they'll be caught sooner or later) they all get a mark of justice? You can even use the OotS version and have it be "get cursed if you ever kill anyone inside city limits." You could also combine it with the island idea and have the mark of justice go off if they leave the island.

Tragak
2013-03-31, 11:36 AM
Wow, so many "lol just kill them" solutions offered. The situation has been allowed to progress this far, TPK is not going to be an enjoyable option for anyone, guys.

Here's another solution: well-equipped law enforcement doesn't mean "no crime", it means a wilier and well-equipped criminal element, possibly one funded by an opposing nation-state or a religious group that's an enemy of the Church of the Cudgel. So this party of yours is making a scene and bringing down the heat, which the local criminals don't want- but they're also apparently powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with the law. I'm thinking they've come to the attention of the local crimelords

Have them be contacted by a representative of whatever passes for the thieves guild around here. Have them be offered a safe house or some kind of refuge or base, where they can lay low. Lush accommodations, access to mundane equipment, drugs and girls ("Or boys? Whichever you prefer"), all the trimmings. Have a more experienced criminal operative express admiration for "their work so far", but explain they've made a couple rookie mistakes, and were surely going to be arrested and executed were it not for the kind intervention of the thieves guild.

But they don't expect payment for this generosity: in fact, they want to offer the party some work! There's this thing (or person. Or mythological beast.) they want liberated from the fortified temple vaults. None of their operatives have managed to get close, so far, but a team like the party...

Cue heist movie with possible political complications. That sounds good. :smallsmile:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-03-31, 11:41 AM
This is a city run in many ways by St. Cuthbert, right? The party is evil and attacking the city guard? Before moving forward, I would talk to the party about what they want from the game, especially the more experienced player. He's the good character in the party and will have the most to lose from what I'm proposing.

If they keep this up. It's time for a couple of paladins to knock on their door. Do not threaten to kill them, threaten to arrest them. Remember, highly lawful, does not mean despotic and cruel and filed with capital punishment. Maybe they have to pay a very large fine or do some kind of service for the government. It becomes the set-up for a quest and not just a player punishment. It's also a way to get them out of the city, if that is all you think you can do at this point.

If they resist the Paladins. If they kill one of them. Change their alignments to evil. What's their excuse for killing the lawful good characters who only wanted to arrest them. That they were going to ruin their good time? That doesn't work if you're chaotic neutral, or chaotic good.

This is why I'm saying you should make sure to talk to your players ahead of time. It will only punish the good players to fight them, but help everyone for the evil characters to suck it up and accept their medicine.

Waker
2013-03-31, 11:44 AM
I didn't say that the OP has to plan a TPK, just being realistic. After all, you can't make an omelette without killing a few party members. Once the party is captured and tried, you decide to give them a way out. In exile, they can go all Hulk World if they want to. Let them wreak havoc in your D&D equivalent of Australia. If they accept an offer to work for the church, mark and geas them up, then send them abroad.

Grollub
2013-03-31, 11:51 AM
I think I would talk to the group out of game, and see who wants to re-roll and who doesn't. From there I would set up an encounter for the group/those who want to re-roll, where their characters are captured by the law, for trial/ execution/ imprisonment. The people who don't maybe escape, or are found to be "rehabilitable" by the law, and allowed to walk free.

Clericzilla
2013-03-31, 12:07 PM
Sooo how active is St. Cuthbert and other deities in your game?

Option 1: St. Cuthbert doesn't like his town being messed with, now he isn't going to slay the PC's directly but making an appearance should do the trick. Hell he could talk to the clerics, paladins, and others that worship him. Say a few things out in the public square about how being CE is bad mkay...

If this entire city (90% or whatever) is dedicated to St. Cuthbert then he would be watching and taking notes on whats going on.

If deities don't get involved....

I'm sure there is a cleric high enough level to I don't know... Talk to St. Cuthbert directly or indirectly, that cleric can then let everyone know who has been doing this and where they are.

Mongrel
2013-03-31, 01:07 PM
Seems to me like the party is playing stupid. In my book, playing stupid is the green light for not holding back as the DM.

You told them this place was heavily equipped with a good town guard, and they blew up a building and killed several guards. What would happen if someone did that IRL?

Send an elite team on them. High level clerics, paladins, and maybe fighters. Their instructions are to capture if possible, kill if necessary. If the party resists with deadly force, they respond in kind. If they arrest them, have them tried. You can RP the trial if you want, but I'd just say that the biggest offenders (like the rogue) are executed while the others (even the good character) are punished relatively severely (jail time, possibly that curse mark, or even "you must do this quest for us to redeem yourselves" (complete with the Geas/Quest spell) if you want to turn it into an adventure hook).

It seems to me like the players think they can walk all over you. They expect that they will never be challenged by something that they can't overcome, and usually that's the case, but when they blatantly ignore your warnings (i.e. this place has a good standing guard, *hint hint you shouldn't piss them off*) I think it's time to show them the error of their ways. That's my two cents.

Hyde
2013-03-31, 01:39 PM
I'm pretty sure these two are the same thing :smallbiggrin:

Similarly, I'm pretty sure that's why a colon was used.

Mrhelpful
2013-03-31, 03:18 PM

Here's another solution: well-equipped law enforcement doesn't mean "no crime", it means a wilier and well-equipped criminal element, possibly one funded by an opposing nation-state or a religious group that's an enemy of the Church of the Cudgel. So this party of yours is making a scene and bringing down the heat, which the local criminals don't want- but they're also apparently powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with the law. I'm thinking they've come to the attention of the local crimelords.

Here's the hilarious thing: that already happened. The rogue was contacted by the the Thieves guild leader, told he could offer protection if the rogue stayed a little more low key. Literally the next day, he goes back to the bar where he escaped through last time, tries to extort the bartender, and when he is confronted by a SQUAD of guards, says "I'm one of Xilean's boys, so you can look the other way." He then bitched when they didn't turn out to all be paid off.

Looking at all of your guy's opinion, I'm going to through an elite squad at them to capture them. Justicar, few high level clerics, guards equipped with bolas, tanglefoot, and the like. Capture them, bring them to trial. Then have a heart to heart with them OOC. Figure out what they want, go from there.

Evard
2013-03-31, 07:06 PM
Similarly, I'm pretty sure that's why a colon was used.

:smallsigh:

Sith_Happens
2013-03-31, 10:00 PM
Here's the hilarious thing: that already happened. The rogue was contacted by the the Thieves guild leader, told he could offer protection if the rogue stayed a little more low key. Literally the next day, he goes back to the bar where he escaped through last time, tries to extort the bartender, and when he is confronted by a SQUAD of guards, says "I'm one of Xilean's boys, so you can look the other way." He then bitched when they didn't turn out to all be paid off.

:eek:

There's stupid, and then there's that. Seriously, he just turned himself into a walking piece of potential evidence against the Theives' Guild-master, personally. The party should be count themselves lucky if they get arrested, because by all logic Xilean is now after them too.

Incidentally, this also gives them out if when they do get taken in. You know, the classic "tell us what you know about Xilean, and if it's something we can book him for then you're looking at exile instead of execution" routine.