PDA

View Full Version : Belkar Becomes Mr Scruffy!

Secris
2013-03-29, 10:42 PM
Now for your potshot theory of the day: Malack, or maybe even Tarquin, attempts to perform some sort of soul-binding magic on a dying Belkar because he managed to piss them off extra-special somehow. As the spell is cast, Mr Scruffy attacks the caster, and instead of fizzling completely the spell goes wrong and binds Belkar's soul into Mr Scruffy's body. The party likely doesn't know right away, or maybe ever, but Belkar stays with the party in his tiny, furry form. Prophecy fulfilled, and we get to enjoy Belkar's antics, sort of, for the rest of the comic.

A guy can dream, right?

Dr.Epic
2013-03-29, 10:44 PM
A talking, magical cat? Does Haley get a sailor school girl uniform in this notion...because that may or may not be awesome. Just saying.:smallwink:

Secris
2013-03-29, 10:50 PM
Terrifying. But no, Elan probably would get the costume if Belkar somehow became a magic cat instead of just an awesome cat. He seems more the dressing up type to me.

theinsulabot
2013-03-29, 11:29 PM
The prophecy was that Belkar would draw his last breath ever.

This may surprise you to learn cats breathe.

Secris
2013-03-30, 12:30 AM
Really? I hadn't noticed. But it's not Belkar's body doing the breathing, and the Oracle hasn't always been particularly... clear with his prophecies.

Souju
2013-03-30, 04:31 AM
the prophecy says "the halfling"
He never refers to Belkar by name...

Kish
2013-03-30, 07:20 AM
the prophecy says "the halfling"
He never refers to Belkar by name...
...You might want to reread the prophecy.

NerdyKris
2013-03-30, 01:58 PM
Really? I hadn't noticed. But it's not Belkar's body doing the breathing, and the Oracle hasn't always been particularly... clear with his prophecies.

Yes he has. He's always been extremely clear. We haven't had one instance of a sneakily worded prophecy, with the sole exception of "In his throne room" as the answer to "Where is Xykon?".

His prophecy as to who Belkar killed was very straight forward. Belkar was going to kill him. Prophecy fulfilled.

F.Harr
2013-03-30, 04:19 PM
A talking, magical cat? Does Haley get a sailor school girl uniform in this notion...because that may or may not be awesome. Just saying.:smallwink:

Well, thinking. V didn't talk as a lizard.

Humble Master
2013-03-30, 04:39 PM
I don't think that Belkar turning into a cat would fullfill the prophecy because as stated before Belkar would still be alive just in a different form.

Secris
2013-03-30, 06:08 PM
Yes he has. He's always been extremely clear. We haven't had one instance of a sneakily worded prophecy, with the sole exception of "In his throne room" as the answer to "Where is Xykon?".

His prophecy as to who Belkar killed was very straight forward. Belkar was going to kill him. Prophecy fulfilled.

The Oracle's prophecies may be accurate, but I would say that they often aren't extremely clear. Belkar's hit list "yes" may have been accurate, but it was in no way clear. A clear answer would have been "Yes, you will kill me." Belkar even gave him a chance to clarify by asking who, but the Oracle did not elect to clarify. Now, I'm not arguing that the Oracle should have said that, but it's important to point out the distinction between accurate and clear.

Further examples of accurate but not clear include V's ultimate power answer, Haley's speech problem and, more currently relevant, Durkon's "posthumously" answer. Sure, Durkon has died, making the prophecy accurate. But was it clear? I think not. The Oracle never mentioned anything about being a bloodthirsty beast that feeds on the essence of the living. Again, the Oracle is by no means required to say that, and I wouldn't expect him to, but he was not being clear.

If Belkar's body never once again takes a breath, I would call the prophecy fulfilled. Obviously some will disagree, that's fine, but this is my random crackpot theory.

Dr.Epic
2013-03-30, 10:06 PM
The prophecy was that Belkar would draw his last breath ever.

This may surprise you to learn cats breathe.

I thought cats just consumed cheeseburgers. They're always asking can I has cheeseburger.

Bulldog Psion
2013-04-05, 08:08 PM
Congratulations on coming up with a bizarre theory that I don't think anyone has advanced before. :smallbiggrin:

Souju
2013-04-05, 09:02 PM
...You might want to reread the prophecy.

darn, you're right...
Huh, weird. Always thought it said "the halfling"
zombie kitty?